Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker (Pre-release)

It's almost as if there's no info on Episode IX out yet outside of rumors and the fact that it's quite literally still filming, or something.

On the record, there's quite a huge difference in trying to interpret a scene and outright ignoring what is literally happening on the screen and just saying it was "badly written"

But that's enough of that, I'll be civil here. I apologize for my rashness, I guess. I'm just tired of the fans who hold the OT in arguably too high regard while looking down on those who like the other stuff more than the OT. I guess that's where I'm coming from.

Well there has been cast announcements that have been posted that had zero discussion and on set photo`s that have been leaked with zero discussion just for a start. This is a Star Wars movie and if you look back at the history of previous Star Wars films discussion threads here, that is unheard of. Combine that with page after page of people saying they are not interested, it speaks for itself.

- - - Updated - - -

THAT is patently false. He clearly wrestled with the decision. You are knocking down a straw man.

You left out in my opinion. There seem to be a good amount of people who agreed with me so that`s fine by me.

At best you're talking more like 30 and then there's a LOT of crap mixed in there. (Crystal Star, anyone? Didn't think so.)

Which is why I cringe when people say the Resistance cartoon is making the universe too kiddy, when they've already done that with the Ewoks and Droids cartoons. Either way, if I had my way, I would prefer a movie every 2-3 years instead of 1. Maybe that'll convince me to watch the standalones in the cinema.

I was listening to NPR they were talking about Irish ancient sites with some dude in charge of historical land . they finished by talking about schella Michael island or whatever lukes hideaway island is called in real life . The guy said they had the island closed down for star wars. when the interviewer asked which scene the dude says I don't know the movies not out yet but they were filming and everyone was looking up in the sky. He goes on to say after filming he asked some of the crew why was everyone looking at up in the sky ?
They laughed and said there's a battle going on in space and that would be cut in later .

So you can take that info for what it is worth .

Last edited:
I'd be fine with one film every 2 years, but not 3. That's just really long and was agonizing between films back with the PT and OT.

I enjoyed one a year, alternating with the expanded stories. If Solo had come out in December, that would've been perfect for me.

I didn't mind the release schedule. Kinda liked it, actually. But I think it's currently too much to manage. Marvel is its own thing. Not everything can or should be done according to the Marvel model. I think the pressure of coming up with a new, bankable, high-quality story on an annual basis is...a lot to ask for. It can be done, sure, but I think it's a lot more likely that you'll end up with films that are either uninspired or are poorly done or poorly received. I've enjoyed the first few years of Star Wars' return, but I think if they're gonna have a rapid release schedule, they need to ramp up to it.

It's almost as if there's no info on Episode IX out yet outside of rumors and the fact that it's quite literally still filming, or something.

On the record, there's quite a huge difference in trying to interpret a scene and outright ignoring what is literally happening on the screen and just saying it was "badly written"

But that's enough of that, I'll be civil here. I apologize for my rashness, I guess. I'm just tired of the fans who hold the OT in arguably too high regard while looking down on those who like the other stuff more than the OT. I guess that's where I'm coming from.

I am a pretty forgiving SW fan.....all the way through the releases of the PT, I defended them & picked from them what I enjoyed,....but of course over time,....the fizz has gone from them,....like a bottle of Coke left open,.....I loved & defended TFA, RO & can see the good in the Solo film......BUT

I cannot like TLJ.....the only thing I appreciate in it is John William's score

It is a horrible Star Wars parody & I feel bad for the great actors who took part in the film

It has tainted my enjoyment of TFA, knowing what comes after that episode

J

After 9 they will take a break for a few years, and then Disney is going to give Kevin Fiege a blank check and say "what you did for Marvel, do for Star Wars" Then he will hire The Russo Brothers to make Star Wars: This One Will Be Good and the fans will rejoice!!

Or not.

I am a pretty forgiving SW fan.....all the way through the releases of the PT, I defended them & picked from them what I enjoyed,....but of course over time,....the fizz has gone from them,....like a bottle of Coke left open,.....I loved & defended TFA, RO & can see the good in the Solo film......BUT

It is a horrible Star Wars parody & I feel bad for the great actors who took part in the film

J

That's cool; I kinda feel the same way. My ranking of TFA in my list went down because TLJ took a higher spot on that list.

J
Excellent post. This is how I feel 100% especially with the way I feel about TFA now. Grew to love that movie but TLJ sucked the life out of it. So sad.
I also do like the score for TLJ. It's funny, there are scenes in TLJ where you have that powerful music from John William's playing and you know that you should be feeling some emotions at that point but it just doesn't happen. The music is spot on but the writing of the scene never leads me to where the music is trying to lead me.
Another thing about TLJ is that it's such a beautifully shot movie. So much was there. The music was great, the visuals were great but the story is such a let down.

Last edited:
Even with some of the cool stuff in this new trilogy, it's going to take a lot to make it all one worth while trilogy after what we've gotten so far. A second film in a trilogy that ends on a cliffhanger should make you feel something towards the possibilities of the next film, but I'm sad to say I really feel nothing. I hope I'm surprised because right now it feels like it might just be the most disappointing trilogy since the prequels. At least the prequels had a consistent story put down over three films. ... The only thing that will bring me back into it is bringing Luke back. Yeah, I like Luke. I think it's disappointing how the character was thrown into a wood chipper and made a shadow of everything he ever stood for.

Last edited:
Even with some of the cool stuff in this new trilogy, it's going to take a lot to make it all one worth while trilogy after what we've gotten so far. A second film in a trilogy that ends on a cliffhanger should make you feel something towards the possibilities of the next film, but I'm sad to say I really feel nothing. I hope I'm surprised because right now it feels like it might just be the most disappointing trilogy since the prequels. At least the prequels had a consistent story put down over three films. ... The only thing that will bring me back into it is bringing Luke back. Yeah, I like Luke. I think it's disappointing how the character was thrown into a wood chipper and made a shadow of everything he ever stood for.

A trilogy of films following Jar Jar Binks would be better than TLJ alone :p

I agree - but the issue is it wasn't a cliffhanger. It was just a downer. Damn near every plot point was wrapped up at the end, which is why there's no compelling emotion to see more. It was wrapped up. There's no 'will they rescue han?', how will they defeat the empire?, will luke become a Jedi? etc. There's no one to rescue, Rey's already super powerful, and look at ROTS...there's no guarantee the good guys win. There will be X at some point, so 9 could end similar to 3 for all we know. I just dont' find anything in it compelling to see more right now. Trailer could change that, but right now? Nope.

Nope. No lingering questions left to answer. No tension left to resolve. No character development left to close out the third act of a trilogy and let's face it if you're still at the character development phase on the last episode of your film trilogy then you need to learn how to write. I may not be a professional writer but I have enough of an understanding of basic story structure to know that those in charge need to really ask themselves if they know what they are doing.

I won't be returning. I didn't bother with Solo because it didn't interest me. I won't be seeing Episode 9 either because there really isn't anything left to say. They could kill off every single character and have Jar Jar dance on their graves but it wouldn't bother me at this point. The last installment was such a downer to the point where I can't honestly understand how anyone could find any enjoyment out of it. If people did, fine. More power to you, but good Lord was it a depressing movie!

Now it's to the point that I'd much rather focus on props and costumes than even bother watching what is being churned out of Lucasfilm. I think having apathy towards seeing this series continue is far worse than getting angry at what they are doing with it. At least if I was angry then it meant that on some level that I cared.

Alot of the commentary is dead right about the lack of interest.

A couple of things to immediatley note:

In all the other SW pre-release threads there was a ton of discussion about every single snippit of gossip and rumour about possible storylines, set photos, character potential plot spoilers , internet leaks etc.

SW fans in my experience are generally a hopeful lot and quite forgiving, if the films they eventually get are even reasonably good. You've only got to look at how "Rogue One" performed to realize that. There used to be a feeling of mostly possitive interest in all the films , with a high anticipation or something great and at least mostly good coming to the SW universe. Some strong debate but on balance a place to come to and enjoy joining in.

Thats pretty much gone I'm afraid. The bulk of the conversation revolves around just how much TLJ failed to meet the expectations of a very large percentage of SW fans, and that certainly spilt over into " Solo". Not all of it , but a great deal more than I would guess any one running Disney and Lucasfilm should be comfortable with.
For the record I really like and respect what they did with "R1" (its my most rewatched of the new releases), liked most of "TFA" (with a few notable exceptions) am enjoying rewatching " Solo" and absolutely loath "TLJ".

You see. I've gone and done it. Its a viseral reaction. I'm not critizing anybody who enjoys it, but I rewatched for only the second time since December of last year and there are many parts of this film that actually make me "feel" nothing but a tired and angry frustration with what they did with this.

And thats as far as I'm going to take it in this thread.

So regardless of what you may think about it, like or dislike the impact of that film on its sequel has been huge. And that is DEFINITELY reflected in this thread. If you took the "I hate "The Last Jedi" " content out of it, theres virtually no discussion on the sequel at all. As a point of interest its effectively dead in the water , and if thats true in this forum that REALLY should worry anyone involved in making this film.

No character development left to close out the third act of a trilogy and let's face it if you're still at the character development phase on the last episode of your film trilogy then you need to learn how to write.

This isn't accurate. Character development better go through each part of the story, whether it be books or film or tv or whatever. As soon as your characters stop developing your story is dead. The character development phase is never ending, unless you're writing Sherlock Holmes or Conan.

There are plenty of questions left unanswered though.

How will the Resistance pull out a win?
Is Rey going to restart the Jedi?
Is Poe going to fully extract his head from his cockpit and be the leader we started to see at the end of VIII?
What part will Luke's force ghost play in the finale, if any?

I could go on ad nauseum. There are more than enough questions. I can't tell you you have to care about the answers, but the questions are there.

Let me rephrase. There should be character development but it typically isn't as much of the focus in the third act of a three act story. Usually this is the part of the story where the character flaws are either overcome or not. It's the resolution phase.

Typically in the first act you introduce the characters and set up the structure of your story, in the second you introduce the major conflict that pushes the characters to their limits, and the final act the protagonist either is undone by their conflict or they over come it and are victorious. Rey trying to decide if she wants to be the hero to reintroduce the Jedi back into the galaxy does not interest me, especially when it's clear that she is more than capable. It's the equivalent of an insanely talented athlete not believing in their abilities when all the evidence shows that they are certainly good enough. In the same way Aragorn struggling to decide whether or not he wants to be king in the Lord of the Rings, also did not interest me.

In my opinion the questions you posed don't need answering because I don't care enough about the characters to bother knowing what happens to them. You may feel differently and that's perfectly fine. I just don't see it mattering all that much. As for Luke's return to the story as a Force Ghost, I don't see much point to that either if only because all he can do would be to impart wisdom. Which seems unnecessary considering Rey already has the Jedi Books. If Luke only shows up to translate them for her I don't see that as a compelling enough reason either.

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back