Princess Bride Goblets - opinions about details?

70accfe5957ef33225fa9177fd339d16.jpg

Well one last post here, just got the goblets back from a friend that went to the Salt Lake fan expo for me (my wife is 8.999999 month pregnant, and as much as I enjoy princess bride, I'm not missing the birth of my first born) and got the goblets signed by Carey and Wallace. I don't think I can do better then this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hello everyone, while the thread is getting a bit crusty, I've found some additional information.

A few weeks ago, a google image search brought up this picture.
a0534e2049c67a1c55c11d8a1abbde0e.jpg

I traced it back to a eBay listing that as usual had ended, and the seller did not have any additional info as usual. However there was that pitcher in the background of the photo.

Assuming that the pitcher belonged with the goblets I started searching for cast aluminum pitchers on eBay. That led me to this find.
61697f03a30da1c6344af8f2258a3cf6.jpg
an Ale pitcher from someplace called "Beefeater by the Tower of London" this turned out to be a Medieval Times like restaurant located in London and now called "The Medieval Banquet" or "The Ivory Vaults" (a search of the pictures in their website revealed they still used plates matching those in my set of six so I thought I was on to something) still no makers marks though.

I started searching eBay again and case across a listing for a souvenir menu and program from Beefeater. Pictures inside the program were very insitefull.
2f43932a5d36ab41a02d023856816cf7.jpg
Jackpot!

So Beefeater opened sometime in the 70's and is still open under a different name. My hypothesis is that someone involved with acquiring props for the princess bride visited the restaurant and acquired a few of the goblets for use in the movie. The ones we have found since then must have been bought by other patrons of the restaurant as suvioners.

Now, having found the restaurant was great, but who made them for the restaurant? I know that the material used was similar to Wilton Armetale, an aluminum alloy that simulates pewters luster without the weight. I did some additional searching for aluminum pitchers and came across one that seemed to match.
390220231385dd062810cf5db50fb177.jpg
this one was definitely made by Wilton,
16e67e7d99ede5a98604fa5fd96461a9.jpg
so I assumed that everything else had been as well. Unfortunilty when I contacted Wilton about it, they had been acquired by another company and no longer had a historian to supply support on old patterns anymore.

So I'm at a dead end again, but know a lot more then I used to about the pattern.

I've got more photos, but to many to post here. So here is a link to my google drive if anyone wants to see the rest of the photos.
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B-3bZHODkIbqd2dNQnVOdWpJR2c

Great detective work! Keep up the prop archaeology. ;)

If you insist!

No pictures for this update, but I managed to win another ebay listing for 2 of these goblets (to replace the ones from the set of 6 I had signed.) Only they were from a different restaurant on a different Continent. This new set came from "King Henrys Feast" a sadly closed and demolished restaurant in Orlando Florida. (This better explains the ones on this side of the pond that have shown up) However I did find a facebook group of former employees and entertainers of that restaurant and other orlando themed restaurants that allowed me into their group. When I asked about the goblets there I was informed that all of their "pewter" tableware was purchased from known restaurant supplier "Bon Chef" I haven't been able to find any old catalogs from the early 80s for Bon Chef so I havn't been able to confirm but I assume that to be the source. Some of Bon Chef's other items have matched Wilton items so I wouldn't be surprised to find that Wilton manufactured them for Bon Chef.

Nice sleuthing!
I live in Orlando, if you need any help on the ground here, I'd be happy to help as having a pair of these would be a dream come true.

Well I do have his address from a little internet cross referencing, but showing up at his house seems a little creepy to me. Keep your eyes open at resale and antique stores though.

Well I do have his address from a little internet cross referencing, but showing up at his house seems a little creepy to me. Keep your eyes open at resale and antique stores though.

Heh heh, no I'd never pull a stunt like that. I just meant I'd be willing to scout out warehouses or attend auctions and the like if any of his companies started selling off stuff and then share the bounty here on the RPF.

I had a chance to see the 2 hero goblets at a private collector's home in LA today. The ones you have with the wider base are like the hero ones. I was actually surprised at how much they flared out. They were displayed next to Buttercup's red dress. Truly impressive.

8F8881A3-130E-425E-A31B-DC62EA89A2D1.jpeg
I’ve been meaning to post here for awhile but life and work got in the way.
I owe a special shout out to shamgar1981 for helping me complete my vintage goblet set. I had managed to find one but it just wasn’t right with it all alone, lol.

It’s people like shamgar who make the RPF such a great place and I appreciate his invaluable sleuthing and helping me attain this “grail” set.

I understand he has an autographed set of them up on eBay right now so check it out!

Last edited by a moderator:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back