Question on how to get a carbon fiber look

i think vinyl wrap will give a more realistic depth effect...[/QUOTE

If the OP Is wanting what I think he's wanting. In my opinion wich means nothing. I think It was hydro dip...

Untitled.jpg

If you go with vinyl, ensure you get it printed with a solvent based printer. The solvent ink will bond with the vinyl and you shouldn't get any cracking if you go around corners or stretch the material. Not all vinyl printers are equal.

TazMan2000

My concern about vinyl sheeting is there doesn't look to be a way to wrap the pistol grip without having a seam.

Here's the printed parts for the blaster. They are just press fit together and I did some sanding on the grip and a few areas to remove the support stubs that caused 'pricklies' here and there. Sayha who is a member here did the 3D design on the stl files and I have to say this is one of the nicest files I have ever printed. The parts have great detail and he made everything in pieces that are tabbed and slotted to press fit together. You still need to glue everything, but the tabs and slots hold the parts in place. For a printed part, the tolerances are exceptionally well done and everything fits perfectly together. I did do a little filing on the bottle barrel rail where it fits inter the Protector piece and then main body. Not because it didn't fit, it did but was a little snug and I was afraid of breaking the resin if I used too much pressure.

Next step is a bath and wipe down and the painting starts!

20180628_193537.jpg

Vinyl will stretch, but if you want, you can go with a pre-printed carbon fiber shrink wrap. It does take practice to stretch vinyl and even the shrink wrap stuff can give you som trouble. Check out eBay for some of these products.
To put a vinyl wrap without a seam, on what you have pictured, will be nearly impossible, unless you somehow re-engineer the object to have separate pistol grips that screw on each side.

TazMan2000

Last edited:
I started some carbon fiber painting tests. I'm going to test different bases and metallcs as well as patterns. Eventually I'll try hydro dipping too, but I'd like to find a method that is quick and easy with every day items. Maybe I should start a specific thread for carbon fiber painting?

I have seen a spray painting method using rubber drawer liner as mask. Would be far from the best result but definitely in the "everyday item" category. You can only replicate a plain weave and not a 2-by-1 twill which is more commonly associated with carbon fibre.

Edit: I see that this post might be a bit redundant for the OP. I'm sorry.

Last edited:
I have seen a spray painting method using rubber drawer liner as mask. Would be far from the best result but definitely in the "everyday item" category. You can only replicate a plain weave and not a 2-by-1 twill which is more commonly associated with carbon fibre.

Edit: I see that this post might be a bit redundant for the OP. I'm sorry.
Not a problem... I was just interested in seeing how others do it.
I do have two types of the rubber shelf matting that make different patters. I did some test spraying and think I have a combination that looks decent. The main problem is getting the rubber matting to wrap all around the pistol grip. I think I may have an idea that I am going to test.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back