Bandai 1/72 PG Millennium Falcon (also the Revell Germany rebox)

Re: Bandai 1/72 Millennium Falcon

Whats the story behind this bit being snapped off?

deck.jpg

The Laser guns dont work either :eek Cheap ass toy, what next, it doesnt make Light Speed Hyperjump when i push it off the table? This is outragous it tell you, im writing a letter of complaint to myself.. so i know just how mad i really am.

Ps i still cant see what different in those pictures :wacko theres a lot of shadows.. do they count? :lol

I bet it takes at least 15 parsecs to do the Kessel run!

That's what we thought back on page 17.....but the text on the photo makes you think

J

Photo captions have been wrong before.

Whats the story behind this bit being snapped off?

View attachment 751411

Two different areas. The Bandai pic shows the area to the right of the exhausts, the 5fter pic is the area to the left. SCRATCH THAT I see what you mean, it does look snapped off in that pic, must be a test shot pic.

I don't see much of a problem here. I would have preferred separate parts like FM did to give the proper relief needed. But some preshading work should suffice here, as long as Bandai's moldings are crisp enough (and we know that they are).

Last edited:

Photo captions have been wrong before.

Two different areas. The Bandai pic shows the area to the right of the exhausts, the 5fter pic is the area to the left. SCRATCH THAT I see what you mean, it does look snapped off in that pic, must be a test shot pic.

I don't see much of a problem here. I would have preferred separate parts like FM did to give the proper relief needed. But some preshading work should suffice here, as long as Bandai's moldings are crisp enough (and we know that they are).

I thought Bandai might have deliberately made it look snapped off because it might have been snapped off on the studio scale model?

I thought Bandai might have deliberately made it look snapped off because it might have been snapped off on the studio scale model?

I checked pics of the studio model and the post should be there. Like I said Bandai must have had a mishap with the test shot of the part, the post does show in some of the display model pics.

As much fun as it is to joke about trashing the kit if minor flaws are found, I love when RPF members find "I cant believe anyone noticed that" flaws or errors. Frankly, if the Bandai kit were really perfect, it would be disappointing. I still want to build something. No, I won't miss correcting the hull curvature or fixing the jaw boxes, or correctly angling the mandibles -- I've done the Falcon major surgery thing many times before -- but adding a small detail here or there that they missed or got wrong is part of the fun for me.

Every kit has something left to do. A small missing detail, or a detail simplified for mold draft. The bulldozer buckets on the engine flaps seem to be missing some ridge detail, so have at it.

Every kit has something left to do. A small missing detail, or a detail simplified for mold draft. The bulldozer buckets on the engine flaps seem to be missing some ridge detail, so have at it.

I've gotta look more closely before commenting on this thing. The recent high res pics show that even the flap detail is spot on. There doesn't seem to be anything for the builder to do but snap and paint.
m8C99XF.jpg

A good deal of the 5ft Studio Model M. Falcon was originally composed of many different model kit parts, a good 30% which were Bandai's own old model kits. The vast number developer blog updates on the Bandai blog (like this one http://bandaihobby.hatenablog.com/entry/2017/08/10/210000) is about them identifying those model kit parts and how they were utilized on the Studio Falcon. What better way to get the detail 100% correct? Identify those original parts and 3D scan them to make sure the shapes and sizing relative to each other is 100% accurate. It makes it rather poetic that Bandai is making a model kit Falcon since their own products were used to make the original.

20170809184827.jpg

20170809185205.jpg

We will need to warp and dent the overhang edges of the hull plating around the circumference of the saucer. So... there's that.

We will need to warp and dent the overhang edges of the hull plating around the circumference of the saucer. So... there's that.

I think there is some damage to the docking rings/escape pods that was not molded in, as well. If you're looking for something to do.

Are the other blast points there......underside port (where the maintenance pits are)?

The scarring on the upper hull beside the jaw cockpit side look a bit rougher??

Screen Shot 2017-08-14 at 12.32.03.pngScreen Shot 2017-08-14 at 12.32.39.png

J

Last edited:

The scarring on the upper hull beside the jaw cockpit side look a bit rougher??
J

The molded-in damage definitely has a smoother look that the original -- which is to be expected. I think using a seam scraper or Xacto to undercut some of the detail will help sharpen it up.

nkg....no this bit

Looks like dents / blast marks

Screen Shot 2017-08-14 at 15.10.50.pngScreen Shot 2017-08-14 at 15.09.00.png

....just painted on the Bandai

millenniumfalcon_72_1_10.jpg

J

Last edited by a moderator:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back