Dale Cooper's lapel pin

CharlesHouse

Anyone know what this is?

055-Cooper-and-Truman.jpg

Can you provide some more info? Show/Movie? Episode? Time?

I'm guessing, since he has a badge on his belt that it's some city/state/federal seal, like an FBI Lapel pin or similar.

IMG_5938.PNGIMG_5939.JPG
It appears to be the Tibetan representation of the phoenix, like on the right, but with its wings above it, and is mildly reminiscent of the Tibetan Om symbol at the center of the lotus mandala on the left.

Last edited:
I think I found it.

View attachment 731053

your'e right, it's a crane. It's a variation of the same crest from my last post.

Nice! Looks spot on. Reverse Google image searching this image reveals that it's the crest for the Mōri clan in Japan. Couldn't find any pins of it, however.

Anyone knows someone who can custom produce a run of these pins, especially since a file can be made using the above emblem?

Also, it's a little hard to tell, is the pin silver? Gold? Bronze-ish?

If anyone is still interested or on the hunt for this item, user el toro has very helpfully identified it as a vintage Japanese Soka Gakkai pin.

View attachment 835269

Two versions occasionally appear on eBay; a larger and smaller variation. The smaller one is the one to get and after buying one myself, I can verify that it is exactly identical to the screen-used pin on Cooper's jacket in every way.

Last edited by a moderator:
If anyone is still interested or on the hunt for this item, user @el toro has very helpfully identified it as a vintage Japanese Soka Gakkai pin.

View attachment 835269

Two versions occasionally appear on eBay; a larger and smaller variation. The smaller one is the one to get and after buying one myself, I can verify that it is exactly identical to the screen-used pin on Cooper's jacket in every way.

Are you confident that the two-tone color scheme is accurate? For my own personal tastes I'd probably choose either solid silver or solid bronze...

Are you confident that the two-tone color scheme is accurate? For my own personal tastes I'd probably choose either solid silver or solid bronze...

What I am entirely confident about is that Cooper's pin is the smaller variant of the Soka Gakkai pin. The size and details perfectly match.

The two-tone color scheme is a little harder to verify. I too had previously assumed that Cooper's pin was one solid color. But I believe it is accurate.

First off, the two-tone color scheme is dependent entirely on the condition of each individual pin. Here is an image of the larger variant of the pin, being sold on eBay by the same seller as the smaller one, and its materials are described as exactly the same as the smaller variant (crane is bronze, petals are silver) and yet the pin looks much more like it's a single tone rather than two:

s-l1600.jpg

The bronze portion is described as "peeling a bit," which suggests that if Cooper's pin looks one-tone, it may simply be slightly weathered/damaged.

Second, the difference in color is easier to see in certain lighting conditions, and borderline indistinguishable in others. It may be that we only see Cooper's pin when it's photographed in direct lighting (as it is a TV show that undoubtedly used strong lighting, not to mention the warm color tones of the series that would minimize any hint of silver in the pin and make it appear warmer, likely gold/bronze-ish). Here is what my pin, ordered from that seller who posted the image that looks distinctly two-toned, looks like under direct indoor lighting (no flash):

fRHQ8kx.jpg

Compare to the seller's photo:

s-l1600.jpg

Mine looks pretty much like solid bronze to me in that lighting. In other lighting conditions, its two-toned scheme is more noticeable.

And finally, here are some screenshots (in which I attempted to fix the white balance, to make judging colors more objective) that may verify the two-toned look, though it's still a bit hard to tell because the tiny pin never gets a close-up:

tpPtB14.jpg

Click to see larger. To my eyes, at least, the crane center is darker and "yellower" than the lighter-colored petals surrounding it, suggesting that the two-toned pins this seller is carrying are screen-accurate.

Hey Patattack,

I know this is a very late reply, but I was looking on Getty Images for high resolution production/press photos from Twin Peaks and there are some somewhat better shots of Cooper's pin than have been shared on here before. I think this might be evidence that confirms that the pin is two-tone. To my eyes at least, the center of the pin is much more yellow (bronze) than the more silver petals around it:

Attachments

• pin.jpg
    pin.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 197
This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back