White makeup & facepaint help needed

endo500

I’m trying to do the character Genesis from the new Wolverine & the X-men comic and need help creating his white face. A few years ago a friend of mine went as Domino at Comic-Con and used like this white clown paint she got off Amazon. However it smudged constantly and got all over her costume to the point where she had to throw it out afterwards. I was curious if anyone had any suggestions or could recommend a particular brand or method. I thought about trying liquid latex but I don’t think you can put that on your face. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

2158024-shock_large.jpg

Yes, you can put liquid latex on your face, but it dries mostly clear, and will show brush strokes and texture. Probably the best thing for that look would be to use a water based makeup and airbrush it on, then seal with a makeup sealer. That will give you the smoothest look. As for clown white, it shouldn't wipe of on clothes too bad if you powder it sufficiently. But it is difficult to get a real smooth look with.

Alcohol activated makeup won't come off at all unless you use the right stuff to remove it. It's pretty pricey though.

Lawrence

Alcohol activated makeup won't come off at all unless you use the right stuff to remove it. It's pretty pricey though.

Lawrence

Is there a particular brand you would recommend? This sounds like it could be a good option.

Yes, you can put liquid latex on your face, but it dries mostly clear, and will show brush strokes and texture. Probably the best thing for that look would be to use a water based makeup and airbrush it on, then seal with a makeup sealer. That will give you the smoothest look. As for clown white, it shouldn't wipe of on clothes too bad if you powder it sufficiently. But it is difficult to get a real smooth look with.

I don't think she used powder to seal the clown makeup. However I have tried some of the liquid sealers that were recommended to me at Sephora and they were crap. What brand of powder do you use?

Skin Illustrators is the industry standard, but a 10 color palette is around 60-70$. They have many different setsto offer. I got Matthew Mungles StaColor brand, 22 colors for 65$. I can't vouch for amount of each color or quality between brands since I just got mine.

As for powder, Mehron & Ben Nye both make set powders, as well as other brands.

Skin illustarators would beerfect for this but are costly. A cheaper option is rubber mask grease paint and a good setting powder

I think Aquacolor is more in line with your needs than AA (alcohol-activated) makeup.
Kryolan Professional Make-up - Aquacolor

AA makeup is more used for getting translucent layers of color than for covering a whole face. Aquacolor can give you a good, solid, smudge-proof color. Plus you don't have to spread alcohol over your face, as it's just water-activated. You can apply it pretty evenly with a makeup sponge, though plan on doing two or three layers to get it really complete.

Your other option is just powdering the creme/clown makeup, but I think you'll be much more satisfied with the Aquacolor.

Thanks everyone for so many good ideas and options. It really helps to have options in various price ranges. I plan to try a couple of these out and maybe report back with my conclusions.

I know I'm replying a little late, but if clown white is applied the right way, it shouldn't go anywhere EVER (my cast mates and I used Ben Nye through a 20 show run of "Oh, What A Lovely War" and didn't have one incident of it bleeding on our costumes). It should be patted down with baby powder or cornstarch (works just like setting powder) to keep it from going where it's not supposed to. It can get a little uncomfortable because it doesn't breathe very well, but sometimes that's just the price we have to pay as lovely, lovely models. ;)

I don't know that I'd use a waterbased makeup if you're going to be wearing this at Comic Con. Waterbased will stain and get everywhere if you touch it while you're sweating. :/ Plus, having to excuse yourself to go reapply throughout the day is no fun.

I know I'm replying a little late, but if clown white is applied the right way, it shouldn't go anywhere EVER (my cast mates and I used Ben Nye through a 20 show run of "Oh, What A Lovely War" and didn't have one incident of it bleeding on our costumes). It should be patted down with baby powder or cornstarch (works just like setting powder) to keep it from going where it's not supposed to. It can get a little uncomfortable because it doesn't breathe very well, but sometimes that's just the price we have to pay as lovely, lovely models. ;)

I don't know that I'd use a waterbased makeup if you're going to be wearing this at Comic Con. Waterbased will stain and get everywhere if you touch it while you're sweating. :/ Plus, having to excuse yourself to go reapply throughout the day is no fun.

You have a good point i forgot that water based paint might start to run if I sweat at comic con.

Re: White makeup & facepaint help needed

I think Aquacolor is more in line with your needs than AA (alcohol-activated) makeup.
Kryolan Professional Make-up - Aquacolor

AA makeup is more used for getting translucent layers of color than for covering a whole face. Aquacolor can give you a good, solid, smudge-proof color. Plus you don't have to spread alcohol over your face, as it's just water-activated. You can apply it pretty evenly with a makeup sponge, though plan on doing two or three layers to get it really complete.

Your other option is just powdering the creme/clown makeup, but I think you'll be much more satisfied with the Aquacolor.

hey ChickenHaunt!
know this is a few years old but wanted to ask your advice. I bought Aquacolour in black and it smudged like crazy, even with a spray sealer. Could you tell me how you've used it before to get it to set?
thanks so much in advance for any advice you have!

jesssmith, it's been a long time since I've used the stuff, but I'll bet you would find some good tips on Youtube...just take everything you hear over there with a grain of salt or two.

Last edited by a moderator:
FWIW, I've had mixed results with Aquacolor, depending on use. I *really* like how it looks, but it it's not very water proof, even with setting powder. It is, after all, water-activated. I don't have it with me here, and can't remember the exact product name, but Kryolan also makes grease-based clown makeup, which I used for Halloween this year. It works incredibly well, paired with Ben Nye setting powder. I was sweating, with fake blood dripping down my face, all night, and the white didn't go anywhere.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back