Anyone planning on picking up the Target Helmets and "improving" on them?

(Posting from mobile, apologies for formatting issues and typos)
Had to stop by target a minute ago, and found the Kylo and trooper buckets. Even found one out of the packaging! Took forever to find a ruler, but here were my results:

Thanks for taking the time to do that Nachyo!

I've started formulating how I want to approach the stormy helmet. Aside from a new paint job, there are definitely some structural things that need to happen as well.
IMAG0226pointers.jpg
The eyes DEFINITELY need to be replaced with some real lenses. Vacuu-formed bubble lenses would be ideal, but I could "stunt" this and go with a flat lens. Also, the hexagonal material over the mouth could probably be replaced; I feel like that would be much easier than trying to fill in the mouth holes and reproducing the hex shape. I wonder if there is some pre-existing material that would work for this. Any ideas?

IMAG0227pointers.jpg
There are some missing details around the temple that would need to be put in. Also, the cheek accents are missing some of the details. I would like to put those in. Bondoing the seams is also a no-brainer.

IMAG0228pointers.jpg
There are these little clippy-type greeblies that line the 2 halves of the helmet. As it stands, they are missing some details and don't span the seam; the greeblies would need to be altered or fabricated from scratch and then affixed to the helmet.

IMAG0229pointers.jpg
The interior, at the very least, would be fiberglassed. It might be cool to put fans, mics, etc. in but I'll cross that bridge when I get there.

I'm sure that there are some other things that I'm overlooking, but these are the main problems that I want to rectify. Questions, comments, concerns from the peanut gallery?

I've started formulating how I want to approach the stormy helmet. Aside from a new paint job, there are definitely some structural things that need to happen as well.
View attachment 525193
The eyes DEFINITELY need to be replaced with some real lenses. Vacuu-formed bubble lenses would be ideal, but I could "stunt" this and go with a flat lens. Also, the hexagonal material over the mouth could probably be replaced; I feel like that would be much easier than trying to fill in the mouth holes and reproducing the hex shape. I wonder if there is some pre-existing material that would work for this. Any ideas?

View attachment 525194
There are some missing details around the temple that would need to be put in. Also, the cheek accents are missing some of the details. I would like to put those in. Bondoing the seams is also a no-brainer.

View attachment 525195
There are these little clippy-type greeblies that line the 2 halves of the helmet. As it stands, they are missing some details and don't span the seam; the greeblies would need to be altered or fabricated from scratch and then affixed to the helmet.

View attachment 525196
The interior, at the very least, would be fiberglassed. It might be cool to put fans, mics, etc. in but I'll cross that bridge when I get there.

I'm sure that there are some other things that I'm overlooking, but these are the main problems that I want to rectify. Questions, comments, concerns from the peanut gallery?
I think one more thing you should fix is the little grey piece on the bottom left, seems a bit too small compared to the actual bucket

After comparing mine with other photos, there's a couple other details that should probably be adjusted too:

Star-Wars-Celebration-The-Force-Awakens-Props-Costumes-Exhibit-Characters-Models-041-RSJ.jpg

The greeblies as well as the small black streak towards the bottom all should line up with the black area on the temple, rather than being set back on the back piece. Since the clips need more definition anyway, I figure they're probably best to be sanded off. The black strips shouldn't be too hard to fill in, but I'm not sure about cutting them out of the front piece?

The thin line that runs above the lenses and down to the back of the helmet also appears much deeper. Not sure if maybe just some darker paint in the line would make it look good?

I have no clue what to do with the lenses... If you anyone figured out a run on replacement lenses, I could get in on that.

My plan was to glass the helmet, then go in with magic sculpt to fill the holes in the grill. (And the seam obviously.)

The vents on the side look like they could be deeper.

As for the grill, I figure if I have a hex about the size I can just press it in the magic sculpt and fake the look. If you find a material that may work better, I'd definitely be interested.

Lenses are definitely being vacuum formed by myself. Shouldn't be hard at all to work up a quick buck once I have the helmet in hand.

As for the clips, I honestly may just remove them and leave them off. It may not be "accurate" but it would look a lot prettier. I guess I'm going for an idealized helmet. :)

Last edited:
My first thought when I saw the First Order Trooper bucket, was "If it fit my melon" it would be a good basis for a joke helm.
Yes, doing a full Duck Trooper. :lol

Complete with Orange "Bill" and Sailor Hat.
Of course after I filled the seam, re-painted it in a less bright white, and maybe replacing the lenses. :p

Nice suggestion guys. I'm reviewing some helmet photos to see what else.

For or the little helmet greebles things I've started modeling them and might attempt 3D printing them. Going to see what I can do over the next day or so. If that doesn't work well Im just going to sculpt them.

I got my helmets last night...I'm definitely going to stylize the Stormtrooper, remove the upper lid details, and modify the black grin on the sides. Someone had some edited pictures a few months back, which looked really good, so I'll be using those as reference to create my own version.

11222950_878761738827431_4967722584104738848_n.jpg

11988689_878761735494098_3443723726463453582_n.jpg

I got my helmets last night...I'm definitely going to stylize the Stormtrooper, remove the upper lid details, and modify the black grin on the sides. Someone had some edited pictures a few months back, which looked really good, so I'll be using those as reference to create my own version.

https://scontent-ord1-1.xx.fbcdn.n...=5b38139f8acaf81c69b26700ccae2177&oe=5678E716
https://scontent-ord1-1.xx.fbcdn.ne...=6bd34406fa341a8b7e10e84ce977d8a1&oe=56A461B7

What do you mean by "upper lid details"?

View attachment 525193

View attachment 525194

View attachment 525195

View attachment 525196

For the hexagonal mesh, try with laptop cooling pad. Today I was searching for the one for my Darth Vader helmet, and I found out that the mesh I have is surprisingly usable

20150907_223535[1].jpg20150907_223528[1].jpg

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back