Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker (Pre-release)

My thought in a nutshell:

I thought TFA was great minus the Star Killer Base aspect. It gave me the same chills and emotions of the OT and I really enjoyed that. I personally think it felt more like a Star Wars movie than anything we have gotten since the OT.

I thought TLJ did a disservice to our previous hero in the characterization of Luke. It did have scenes that were visually stunning. I do not like the fast paced untrained progression of Rey, or the use of time she had with Luke Ach-to to develop her skills. I did like the re-uniting of Luke and Leia, (at least RJ didn't screw that up). The final scene of Luke I can deal with kind of or at least accept, but who the hell saw what he did to spread the story of his heroic last stand? Some FO troops? Maybe a few crystal foxes? I think he should have been tired, drained, maybe near death, but re-kindled, to right his error. If not by himself by more time developing the new hero. I know he can do that as a force ghost, I just really did not like it. We all know they will die, but let him fade away into those twin suns knowing he righted a wrong he mishandled previously and his journey is complete. I also left the theater emotionally numb and perplexed and still feel that way since opening night.

I have no clue where 9 will or can pickup, or what to even speculate that we may see. I don't think anyone saw the events of episode 8 coming. For the first time in my life, I am not really excited thinking about whats to come, I still feel indifferent to if they made another one or not. And that sucks to feel that way!!!

I don't think I have shared my thought on the episode 8 thread, but i do feel a bit better about getting some of that out in a place filled with other fans. I think some of you will get where I am coming from, and some will disagree, and thats ok too. I just don't know where the story goes that really makes this last part of the Skywalker trilogy worthy of being attached to the main Saga.

Rant over, sorry I was so long winded....

I would like to see a reaction at the next Celebration but you can rest assured the place will still be rammed full of cosplayers wielding lightsabers, blowing their load over the latest Disney SW tease. ( Akbar: a Star Wars story but he’s being played by a Rodian!)

From 37:40 onwards. Particularly 43:42.

My thought in a nutshell: [...]
I agree 100%. Regarding ep 9, this is hardly a Skywalker saga anymore. Not just because Luke is gone and Carrie won't be in Ep9, but spiritually there is nothing to do with them anymore. Rey will learn from How to Jedi for Dummies vol 1-7 and other than squatting at Luke's island for a while she has nothing to do with them. Ren is the only thing that has some sort of connection but then again I never really thought that he would be perpetuating the "Skywalker-saga".

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, in my very first post after seeing TLJ I congratulated the artisans who worked on it for doing a wonderful job, It went down hill fast from there. I havent seen a Star Wars film yet that didnt look great, the PT had some issues but still the work was incredible. No brainer really.

Shouldn't art direction be close to done at this point? To release may '19 they kinda have to start shooting pdq, don't they?

I've never found much fault with the production designs for any of the Star Wars films. I may not have liked a design here or there but the overall look with each film was fine by my estimation. That is the only thing that has been consistent across the board for me.

Script was another matter entirely. Strangely enough I'm more interested in what they will do with Solo and even then I've been trashing the idea since it was announced. Though as much as I hate to admit it, the full trailer did look like it *could* be fun. I hope I'm wrong about the future SW films and they are all spectacular but I'm not holding my breath.

Shouldnt this be posted in TLJ thread? I wish people would post stuff that doesnt come from people who have vested interests all the time either. Unless it relates to production elements or interesting stories about the production, they really carry very little weight and are just posted to fit a narrative anyway.

JJ puts men who hate women in TLJ in their place....which is alone.

http://www.indiewire.com/2018/02/jj...men-1201929593/amp/?__twitter_impression=true
Going to bully me into liking Rey through guilt? I don't like Rey because she is completely uninteresting. I'm equally uninterested in Kylo. I don't find a character compelling because he tells me he's "conflicted", then kills his Dad. I don't know why he's such a dick. Nor do I care to find out. Does this mean i just hate both sexes equally?

Going to go tell my Mom that because I hate Rey, I must hate her too now.

Also, JJ's arrogance is astounding. "Because you don't like a character I wrote, you're a misogynist."

Last edited:
Every day we're told that we're all misogynist's, chauvinist pigs, homophobes, racists, bigots, ignorant, intolerant, insensitive etc. for saying we don't like something. It's the way everything is now.

Last edited:
Every day we're told that we're all misogynist's, chauvinist pigs, homophobes, racists, bigots, ignorant, intoletrant, insensitive etc. for saying we don't like something. It's the way everything is now.

If you can stomach the crap Disney and their shill`s dish out you must be the perfect person. Thats the message Im getting.

I've been married twice and I have 2 kids. J.J. Abrams, Hollywood and the media still tell me I'm a woman hating piece of garbage if I say I don't like Rey or Rose or I'm a disgusting racist if I don't like Finn or Black Panther.

I don't see what marriage and kids has to do with it?

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back