T'is the season! Luke's Holiday Special lightsaber!

NeoRutty

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
So now that my work schedule is slowing, I'm finally piecing together some of the saber parts I've been collecting. I figured I would just have one long, ongoing thread where I could post what's happening, and ask questions and get opinions/feedback. There are many, many threads on some of these builds, but at the same time, in some cases, they've raised more questions for me than answers.

So I'll see if this system works. If not, I'll just abandon this way of doing it, and post questions on old threads.

FIRST UP!

This is the saber I was LEAST interested in, until I realized I had a Christmas party at work and it would be fun to hang it from my pajamas (yes it's a pajama Christmas party... in an animation studio... so it kind of makes sense)

I did my best to "research" this weird, ugly saber... but not surprisingly, not a lot of info out there. And I suppose until someone comes out and shows they have the actual saber from the special, there will only be the low res pics and video of it. I guess anyone else who is looking up info on this saber may now have this as reference as well... and may once again leave frustrated... or maybe not!

Now I haven't actually seen the holiday special myself, I intend on watching it tonight with my kid (Already she's fighting me on it). After seeing it, I may change my mind on how to go about this, but for now I'm thinking of the following...

These are the two pics I'm using as reference (from parts of star wars)...

ls_holiday6

ls_holiday5

And of course I have my Graflite that Mr_creepy was kind enough to sell me for this...

IMG_1621

"A section of the top was cut away (approximately 1 1/4" long) and a metal piece was attached in it's place." - parts of star wars (------- The Parts of Star Wars --------)

So first I needed this piece (I'll call it the shroud?).... A while back I failed at making a sink tube Vader MOM saber, but kept it around in case I needed it for anything. Well now I'm thinking I'll cut the "shroud" area off and attach it to the end of the Graflite. at least it keeps it in the spirit of the graflex...

"Some sort of control box was added to the side, it's parts are unknown." - Parts of Star Wars

flipping through the pics, I'm calling that it's all black, and anything that looks shiny metal is just light. My best guess is it's some sort of switch cover... but in all my searching I couldn't find anything that would be a good match. Since I have a stick of styrene around, I figure I would just construct one... paint it black...

IMG_1620

Something like this, and probably around the same measurement of the Graflex "control box" (to keep if in the same universe)...

I have some ideas for how to close off the back end, and O-Ring it... but I'll deal with that later...

Any ideas for the red button? Something easy to find? "Above the 'extension' plug is an added button"

Has anything come to light on the control box at this point in time I don't know of? (I don't think it's a door bell... at all)

Now this is just a fun little project to be done by Friday, and for cheeeeeap. I mean really, it's the holiday saber for a pajama part for 30 year olds.

Thanks fer looking

Last edited:
Re: WHY?!? Cuz t'is the season. Holiday Special Luke Lightsaber build! Post Suggestio

'Good luck kid, you're gonna need it!'

Chaim

Re: WHY?!? Cuz t'is the season. Holiday Special Luke Lightsaber build! Post Suggestio

I've considered making this one, too!!!
Those Graflites can be snagged for ten bucks.

I have a Graflite also and have considered making this saber for a long time too.

Years ago a member made a really nice one and I grabbed his reference pics as well as a few pics of his build.

First, pics of the original saber:
holidayO-vi.jpg

Holiday11-vi.jpg

LukeHolSplReferenceA-vi.jpg

002-vi.jpg

004-vi.jpg

Here are a few pics of his build:

emitter-vi.jpg

Guts-vi.jpg

Template-vi.jpg

BothShrouds-vi.jpg

Thanks James! (and roboterkampf?)

Those pics of the original saber are crazy good. ha.

There were parts I was about to cut off that are clearly in those new pics (the back end of the saber)

I've found a few threads on builds, but they all look terrible. That looks actually really good. I think I will be rethinking this build now.

Even if it takes past my deadline.

Really that's an ugly saber (the original not the replica)

1. Because Graflites are dirt cheap.
2. It's another Luke saber (even though George wishes the HS didn't exist).
3. I don't have one.
4. I want to build one.
5. It brings back fond memories of 1978 holiday season.
6. It's odd...in a cool way.
7. Finally, and related to #6--I've hated it for so long that it's begun to grow on me.

Really that's an ugly saber (the original not the replica)

I'm a Christmas nerd. Why have R2 in a snow globe when you can have a Holiday lightsaber hanging with holly?

It is ugly, but it's got it's crappy charm.

I picked up a sheet of aluminum today, and will likely work on it tomorrow when I finish a Secret Santa present for a coworker.

I still don't know what to do about that Control box... and I'm hesitant to screw it on in case really clear pics show up down the line...

And I don't know what to think about the back end... did they cut it short? I would love to see what the guy who replicated it did. I think I found his blog, but I can't find an e-mail to message him.

Yup, I messaged him last night. Hope he replies.

Of course he may just be the guy with the original photos, and not the guy who did the build.

roboterkampf = moffeaton

Can't wait to see the finished build :thumbsup

IIRC he posted those photos in the other guys build.

But if anyone has better pics of the saber and the control box, it's moffeaton.

IIRC he posted those photos in the other guys build.

But if anyone has better pics of the saber and the control box, it's moffeaton.

Ah, figured...

Well if he has better pics, and gets back to me, great. OR if he knows who originally did the build...

If not, I will see what I can come up with as a control box, and see if somewhere down the line something better comes up.

The more I think about it, the more I'm thinking the build was someone elses, maybe Luuke?

When I get home I can check and see if I saved those same build pics; I usually try and save them under the builder's name.

Yeah, could have been him easily. Luuke is BlueMirageStudios now.

That would be great... I start on the shroud tomorrow...

I will have to look up Luuke (bluemiragestudios), and see if he was the guy, and if he's still got images around.

The more I think about it, the more I'm thinking the build was someone elses, maybe Luuke?

When I get home I can check and see if I saved those same build pics; I usually try and save them under the builder's name.

OK, I have the pics James posted saved under "Chris", so I'm guessing it's fried mon calamari

I also have a few images of sabres done by SinkTube Jedi and Megatron

I don't see any "Holiday" posts by any of them; the images from Chris are circa 2005 (I think) so I imagine the threads have been lost. :unsure

When you get a graflite, do not get the one that has a right angle for the flash, it is the wrong one,<- that one was used by either han or chewie to fix the falcon. The good thing is these used to be really cheap.

yup. I'm pretty sure I have the right one... heading out today to get some tools I need to cut some shroud.

Got hung up on a Secret Santa gift that took WAY too long.

I'm pretty sure I know how I'm going to do the rest... and the control box is going to be more of a homage to the control boxes in the blurry pics. I've pretty much assessed that no one really knows exactly what it is or looks like, so I'm just going to come up with something close, that is in the same spirit...

HOLIDAY Spirit?!

It will be done by Christmas. I have nothing else on my plate right now... The studio I work at is closed for the next 2 weeks so I'm free to get caught up on all these little saber projects.

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back