Millennium Falcon Hyperdrive moof-milker ignition compressor build

fiveliter8

Hey all. We recently started hitting comic cons and the kids love getting into character when we attend. Our daughter wanted to go as Rey, so we built a nice 3D printed staff and got her a decent costume. Something was missing, though. In one of the very memorable scenes (to us), Rey fixes a problem with the Falcon's hyperdrive by "bypassing the compressor". So I knew we'd have to have something to use as a prop for her to carry so that she could hold it up for photo opps and say the appropriate lines. Since the movie was still in theaters at the time, I did not have any references to use to make the prop. I just remember her holding something with wires hanging down. This is what we came up with:

IMG_4868.JPG

So, now fast-forward to the "Rey's new lightsaber build contest". https://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=287624&highlight=rey+saber+vote In our designs, we wanted to incorporate the compressor into the saber hilts we came up with, so, naturally, we had to have a compressor to use for parts. There is literally only a single frame in the movie where you can sort of see the prop.

rey-millennium-falcon.jpg

Myself being an old military electronic equipment technician, I immediately recognized the "base" as a slot for an edge-connector printed circuit board. I could also see the red and black parts on either side of the board are card guides. The guides look like they have a dovetail to connect other cards which probably came out of some old studio equipment. So, off to the electronics store to hunt down the card slot then best-guess the dimensions of the guides and find whatever PCB I could use till I can replicate what is in Rey's hand.

I started off with this old PCI Firewire card and cut it to a basic shape. The card color should be green, but, alas, I could not find any in my stash.

IMG_4589.JPGIMG_4590.JPG

For the card guides, I used PVC and milled a dovetail through it as well as slots for the card.

IMG_4644.JPG

I then sliced it in two and attached to the card slot.

IMG_4646.JPGIMG_4645.JPG

Test-fitting all of the parts before paint.

IMG_4647.JPG

Finally, paint applied and wires soldered on. Not a perfect match, but close enough in our eyes!

IMG_4791.JPGIMG_4790.JPG

Like I said before I love this!!! I think there was 2 Props made for this, the one she pulls out looks different to me then the one she holds up to han

Once I get my hands on a 3d printer I think this will be my first project

This came out great! I told ya before I freak’n love it!! Great ingenuity!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Like I said before I love this!!! I think there was 2 Props made for this, the one she pulls out looks different to me then the one she holds up to han

Once I get my hands on a 3d printer I think this will be my first project

This came out great! I told ya before I freak’n love it!! Great ingenuity!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks! I originally thought there were two different props as well, but when she pulls it out at first, she has 4 fingers over the card slot and wire connections while her thumb is at the top edge of the card. You can see the red/black card guide as well:

compressor 2.JPG

I thought about 3D printing, but I absolutely love fabricating and only 3D print parts that would be more complicated to make with traditional tooling. I reached out to the lucasfilm archivist to see if the movie used prop was saved to find out what it actually is out of (have not heard back). At any rate, can't wait to see how yours comes out! :thumbsup

Last edited:
This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back