Bandai 1/72 PG Millennium Falcon (also the Revell Germany rebox)

Re: Bandai 1/72 Millennium Falcon

I'm seriously considering it. Those photos Jaitea posted of Simmons' work are just amazing -- it looks incredibly like the ILM studio model. I highly doubt mine will look like that -- DaVinci's brush won't paint the same in my hands, heheh. Still, this will end my quest for the perfect colors. I need to understand which colors to get, though -- I still find the chart confusing. I'll probably get the same set as Attirex's for starters.
I'm a bit skeptical. I see a lot of differences between the 32" and the 5 footer when it comes to paint. Particularily with the base coat and grays. And from what I've seen of the archive-x stuff, it leans more to the 32" version. I still think that Tamiya as-20 gives us a great impression of what we see on the screen. (For the five footer)

As you said, it's really about davinci's brush, rather than the official colours. And Simmons really is the davinci here.

I did a fine molds 1/144 falcon a while back and I followed Simmons paint recipes to a T. the end result was horrible. Truthfully, I don't know if his colours we're so great, but his technique was awesome.

Plus, I'm not really into enamel paints. I just can't handle that smell. That all being said, these people know a lot more about this than I do.

But if you do get them, I'd love to have a look.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

How are you guys approaching the decals on this? And I'm referring to all the little ones not the panels. I painted a base coat on mine with AS-20 and am in the process of painting the panels. I haven't done a ton off decals in the past but I'm aware of the fact that they adhere to glossy surfaces much better and I use the decal application liquids. So would you guys say it's a good idea to spray my falcon with an acrylic glossy coat first, apply the decals, then seal them in with a matte coat? What is the approach that you guys plan on using?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
That is exactly what I will be doing.....when the damn thing arrives

How are you guys approaching the decals on this? And I'm referring to all the little ones not the panels. I painted a base coat on mine with AS-20 and am in the process of painting the panels. I haven't done a ton of decals in the past but I'm aware of the fact that they adhere to glossy surfaces much better and I use the decal application liquids. So would you guys say it's a good idea to spray my falcon with an acrylic glossy coat first, apply the decals, then seal them in with a matte coat? What is the approach that you guys plan on using?

for decals in general before I weather it, I have been brush painting on some Future Floor Wax (aka Pledge Floor Care) in the area I am applying the decal

Later I will matte varnish the whole thing, all though in some cases I don't have to as my oil filters and pastels knock back the shine

Had to pause my build whilst I awaited my custom lighting kit and Death Star surface panels, as will be displaying this as a diorama with Red 5 flying along side. Both birds flying away from the Death Star ala “Let’s blow this thing and go home!”. All have now arrived and I can get back to work with the project. However it will be slow going over the next few weeks as my schedule is crazy busy. Stay tuned!

I'll get a picture of the can and see if we can get a confirmation that it's the stuff. I might -- might -- be able to get 5 or 6 cans.

BTW, I think I found the first Bandai "error" worthy of a small modification. On the front starboard sidewall, the greebly from a DML/Dragon/Revell 1/9 Kettengrad kit (part #8 indicated on the donor I.D. chart) needs to be thinned and the top rectangular shape needs to be drilled out. The series of vent holes below should also need to be drilled out, but I think I'll just fill those holes with some panel wash and call it a day. However, that rectangular hole is visible when looking over the top of the starboard mandible.
View attachment 774405View attachment 774406View attachment 774407View attachment 774408

Thought this might interest those who want a more accurate replacement. Found it on Shapeways.

https://www.shapeways.com/product/V...con-1-72-kettenkrad-greebly?optionId=64019325

How are you guys approaching the decals on this? And I'm referring to all the little ones not the panels. I painted a base coat on mine with AS-20 and am in the process of painting the panels. I haven't done a ton of decals in the past but I'm aware of the fact that they adhere to glossy surfaces much better and I use the decal application liquids. So would you guys say it's a good idea to spray my falcon with an acrylic glossy coat first, apply the decals, then seal them in with a matte coat? What is the approach that you guys plan on using?

Im getting a USB cup warmer so i can have constant warm water to activate the decals. I get tired of refilling the water because it went cold, it will likely take days to do all of them on the PG Falcon.

Decals always conform better of shiney smooth surfaces, so a good shine would be helpful. im going to use an enamel clear gloss then after the decals another coat before the weathering, then i will spray it with tamiya satin coat.

Keep all coats consistant and thin too avoid loosing detail.

The purpose of the gloss coat underneath decals is to minimize the silvering effect around the edges that you can sometimes get with a matte coat.

SB

I find the Bandai decals to work just fine in cold water. I just leave them in the water a few seconds longer and lt them sit on an absorbant pad of tissue for a few more seconds, and they slip off easily enough.

Yeah, I always gloss under and over, usually with something brush-on that is self-leveling.

Honestly, I never do gloss coats for decaling. I apply my decals straight onto flat paint with Micro Set and Micro Sol. I might get away with this because I'm obsessive about having a perfect finish, so even my flat coats aren't bumpy to the human eye, just on a microscopic level. I then seal the decal onto the surface with a paint brush dipped in Vallejo Matte Varnish to protect the decal.

These are images that Guy Cowan posted on Fb.....(originally posted by Jason Eaton a while ago)

They were taken by Bill George of ILM,....Guy also had this to say:"Some personal Pics of the Five Foot falcon taken By amazing Model builder Bill George, Having been a key personal at ILM for many years and knowing what he's talking about its interesting to see and read his explanation of how the 5 foot falcon was painted White not GREY, as a few of us keep saying but sometimes people just don't seem to understand it..... Amazing pics. Not quite DAZ white but Reefer White :), from a rattle can over blackish prime"
attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• 24058863_10154896046151603_1513982320350459415_n.jpg
    24058863_10154896046151603_1513982320350459415_n.jpg
    191.4 KB · Views: 1,303
  • 23782360_10157372733178868_283043391_n.jpg
    23782360_10157372733178868_283043391_n.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 1,231

I did a bit of Comparison work.....This is the Bill George image (L)....the Chronicles image (centre)...& an image from a group of SW props (R)

attachment.php

The Bill George image with John Simmons PG Falcon

attachment.php

John

Attachments

• 5ft ANH Top Viewbefore & after Bill George.jpg
    5ft ANH Top Viewbefore & after Bill George.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 1,651
  • Compare Bill George & John Simmons.jpg
    Compare Bill George & John Simmons.jpg
    677.2 KB · Views: 1,518

These are images that Guy Cowan posted on Fb.....(originally posted by Jason Eaton a while ago)

They were taken by Bill George of ILM,....Guy also had this to say:"Some personal Pics of the Five Foot falcon taken By amazing Model builder Bill George, Having been a key personal at ILM for many years and knowing what he's talking about its interesting to see and read his explanation of how the 5 foot falcon was painted White not GREY, as a few of us keep saying but sometimes people just don't seem to understand it..... Amazing pics. Not quite DAZ white but Reefer White :), from a rattle can over blackish prime"
https://www.therpf.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=775419&d=1511472700
https://www.therpf.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=775420&d=1511472700
Wait, are those the actual five footer? Or an amazing repilica?

Is there a consolidated list of recommended mods somewhere?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Wow, thanks for those Bill George images, John! Are there any more of those? And thanks for those comparison shots. Now I understand why the DOA paint I used to compare to AS-20 was so dark -- it was Grime and not Reefer White. But then I don't see any Reefer White from the DOA range.

I've therefore narrowed down my search to Archive-X --- looks like it's the definitive paint range for PG builders. There's so much in there, though. There's like 23 paints for the ANH falcon and I wanted to get the basic ones for now as I'm on a budget.

Got a question - I made some notes over a Fantastic Plastic photo of the cockpit area. I see where the Reefer White base color is now -- it's exposed by the dremelled areas. So is it the Grime that will darken the Reefer White? And there are 2 Grimes in the Archive-X range. Should I get the EX-001 or EX-002?
zKNDAnW.jpg

I guess this is why the 5-footer looks whiter than the 32-inch. They used Grime or 50-50 Grime and Reefer White on the 32-inch while they used straight Reefer White on the 5-footer.

Or is that actually a Daz White underneath and the Reefer White to darken it? (in which case where would the Grime be used?)

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back