Beauty and the Beast theatrical enchanted rose with falling petals build

Heh. This is to me the shame of Tech Week; it is the time when everything is actually in the same room for the first time and there is a chance for the sparks of collaboration and inspiration to be struck. But, alas, there is no time; every theater insists on planning out 12-hour days to start with, leaving them no-where to go for the inevitable missed deadlines. And lights is pretty far downhill; they inherit the results of the missed deadlines of many of the other departments, meaning they are pushed into insane hours just trying to catch up to the old schedule.

That said, I'd like to think I'd be more flexible. I tend to be the kind of lighting person who respects the other departments and will compromise as necessary. (Perhaps that comes from working so much sound, where no-one realizes or respects that you need time to work and you end up compromising all the time!)

it takes time, and money, to make scenery and props and effects that stand up to use. A lot of theaters scrimp, and end up paying for it in exasperated cast and staff as every pre-show becomes a round of hasty hot-glue and gaff-tape repairs and every performance a nail-biting nightmare of what will fail next. Sounds like you have a good one. I really, really respect a shop that has the time and the expertise to properly actor-safe a set. Those are the kinds of shops that problem-solve -- that anticipate problems and test things properly in-shop, rather than reach into the bucket of tie line and drywall screws for a "this is good enough" and ship it that way.

Thanks for the informative reply. It's great seeing so many folks here that also love the theatrical.

Nomuse...that shop you describe is one I hope someday to call home!! Respect the deadlines, compromise politely and do as much as humanly possible to make it right.

It would be cool to have s theater prop section of the rpf! Though I'm sure there are additional forums for it, it's great to know we share additional interests.

I'll try to document my next challenge and add a post.
Mike

Ps - I'm in CT but spent 4 years in St Louis. If any of you tech prop guys are out this way, I want to hang out!

Yes, theater prop section would be pretty cool! By the way, I forgot to mention I wound up spending $90 in parts, not including the transmitter and receiver set ($200 when I bought it a few years back).

I love this! I am directing Beauty and the Beast and we open the show Dec. 1st. Is there any way I could rent or buy one of these from you??? Please contact me so we could work maybe work something out because I would love this for my show but sadly I don't think I could re-make this on my own. I really hope to hear from you soon and thank you!
Email: D_Roz@yahoo.com

Hopefully you see this post, fiveliterv8. your rose and execution of it are amazing!

I am also making a rose for B&tB with LEDs & remote operation powered by an Arduino Uno. What is the dimension of your acrylic head? I'd like to cast aversion of it out of polyester resin. Can you send dimenions / sketch of the rose head?

I'm having trouble bonding my 20lb test mono filament to the rare earth magnets. I can't seem to get the cyanoacrylate to set. I've used a couple brands so far without much luck. Any tips?

Thanks!

I did a production last summer with a rented rose (no remote) and one thing we had trouble with was glare from the glass dome. Any downlight on the dome to highlight the moment washed into the effects, and some of the internal uplight also spotted onto the glass giving a glare in audience. I'm wondering if any of you guys ran into this? It almost made us want to create the idea of a dome (el wire outline?) instead of having real done on it. We made due, but worth discussing...

I loved the animation version back in the early 1990s and was joyed that they made this live action. Still not been to the cinema to see it, but idea that the rose would be a collectable prop was always in the back of my mind. What you have done takes this to entirely new levels of awesome.

Amazing build.

I loved the animation version back in the early 1990s and was joyed that they made this live action. Still not been to the cinema to see it, but idea that the rose would be a collectable prop was always in the back of my mind. What you have done takes this to entirely new levels of awesome.

Amazing build.

It doesn't come out until March 17th.

Really? OK. Some friends took their kids to the cinema and posted photos on FaceBook of the kids near a prop rose and display. I ASS-U-ME d they saw Beauty And The Beast.
My bad.

Yeah, it's not out yet. In fact, I THINK the prop roses we are seeing are based on the animated film. I've looked a bit and the only thing I've seen showing the rose for this new film is a shot of the rose under what appears to be a crystal goblet. I'm not sure they've even shown it in its entirety yet, however I could be very mistaken.

Yeah, it's not out yet. In fact, I THINK the prop roses we are seeing are based on the animated film. I've looked a bit and the only thing I've seen showing the rose for this new film is a shot of the rose under what appears to be a crystal goblet. I'm not sure they've even shown it in its entirety yet, however I could be very mistaken.

Not sure. This is the rose they have on display with an official Disney stand.

attachment.php

Attachments

• B and B Rose.jpg
    B and B Rose.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 1,612
Be glad you did not try the return spring idea. I built one and put return springs in it. They worked as planned, and each magnet returned to its placement position after every drop.

the problem I discovered was that the petals from higher positions did not fully drop but just jumped to the lower now empty magnets. This caused more work of the controls to get the Petal to fully drop.

I ended up pulling the springs back off.

Be glad you did not try the return spring idea. I built one and put return springs in it. They worked as planned, and each magnet returned to its placement position after every drop.

the problem I discovered was that the petals from higher positions did not fully drop but just jumped to the lower now empty magnets. This caused more work of the controls to get the Petal to fully drop.

I ended up pulling the springs back off.

I'd love to see how yours came out! Originally, I had magnets on the petals as well and had the exact same problem, so I switched to metal discs on the petals. Have you used yours in a production?

I know this is an old post but I'm hoping the creator is still on this site. I'm building a modified version of this idea and I'm a little stuck on the machining of core for the rose head.

Any details you'd be willing to share? I'm planning on using the magnet release idea like you did.

thanks,
Robert

I know this is an old post but I'm hoping the creator is still on this site. I'm building a modified version of this idea and I'm a little stuck on the machining of core for the rose head.

Any details you'd be willing to share? I'm planning on using the magnet release idea like you did.

thanks,
Robert
Hello! Yes, I'm still lurking! What do you need help with? Basically, there is a hole (1/4" if I remember right) half way through the center for the stem to fit into, then 9 other holes drilled from the outside and coming through to the stem hole. The 9 holes are drilled small enough for the fishing line, and are drilled out slightly larger toward the outside of those holes to accommodate the magnets. Hope this helps, and keep us updated on your project!

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back