Finishing obi wan sabers

redbutton

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Hi folks, Just started to finish my Obi Wan
saber and wanted to finish the pommel end
i found a metal hole plug 1. inch. But the tabs werent spread enough, the cap fit perfectly if i didnt need friction! I took small pliers and bent the tabs out so they were a bit wider than the pommel recess. Snap! It fits like a glove.

Thats my obi wan and thd9791's saber. The pommels came from the same sink

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    493.1 KB · Views: 172
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 166
Thanks guys! They are in the nut/bolt drawers in US hardware stores, not the sink drainpipe aisle. :facepalm

Well, I finished my Obi Wan saber. I have a second generation sink knob that I got chromed, top with a 1 inch zinc plated cap. The transistors are real of which
I had to trim with a file to fit into the washers, next I twisted the leads to fit into the spacer holes under the clamp an added expose. It's all connected with
a quarter 20 rod and reducer nut to a 3/8 " ( if I got the right, Tom) and a flat head nut in the pommel. Thanks to everyone who helped with parts (roman, tom, roy).
I also aluminum blacked the emitter.
ObiWan1.JPGObiWan2.JPGObiWan3.JPGObiWan4.JPGObiWan5.JPGObiWan6.JPGObiWan7.JPG

WAIT! The Armitage Shanks pommels are in the nut/bolt drawers!?!?!?! Or is it the metal hole plugs? You've got me excited here!

If it's just the metal hole plug, great find by the way - it looks spot on in the pics, what happened to the original one? Please tell me you didn't let your 'padawan' come at it with a single set of pliers. ;) hehehehehe! Too soon?

All kidding aside, they look great together! I wish I could get my dad into this and run around together all dressed up looking for lightsaber parts in the isles of Home Depot! That'd be awesome. You guys are really lucky in that.

The original Armitage Shanks pommel was a second or later version - it was yellow and the end cap was silver plastic with a black dot in the center with an A S logo in the
center. So I had it chromed (not the cap). The nut I used was called a T-nut which sits flat when all is screw down. The cap fit perfect.

On another note I got a real Grenade MK1! it's slightly bend from really being used. It's brass on the end - Is there any way to straighten it out without
snapping it?

redbutton If it was me, I'd go guy a cheap brass garden hose nozzle, smack it with a log or bit of 2x4 and then experiment with heating it and trying to bend it back to straight

http://accuproducts.com/media/catal...3525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/b/r/brass_nozzle2.jpg

http://www.harborfreight.com/media/...b33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/i/m/image_17646.jpg

You could take a 10 or 25 lb curl bar weight and slide it over the piece trapping the flange against a concrete floor by standind on the weight and insert a steel rod within the hole in the brass and use the steel rod as a lever to bend the brass back while it's hot. Experiment too with heating the brass back up and quenching it to bring it's hardness back up.

Once you have an idea of how the brass reacts to heating and hardening, then you can move on to trying to correct the bend in your grenade neck.

Good Luck!

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back