Veektohr's Half-builds & The Occasional Finished One - Zombie MGCs

Re: Flash-Bashes and Blasters (Obi Saber Upgrayyyydez)

I used the coupling nut too! Hardware stores tend to have coupling nuts with the same thread on both sides. I ordered my 3/8 16 x 1/4 20 online. I actually have a bunch left over if you want some. I'll dig them out this week

I'd love one! PM me if you find them :cheers

I used the coupling nut too! Hardware stores tend to have coupling nuts with the same thread on both sides. I ordered my 3/8 16 x 1/4 20 online. I actually have a bunch left over if you want some. I'll dig them out this week

I'd take one of those coupling nuts off of you.

PM me your address if you'd like one! I can drop them in bubble mailers and get them out first class!

;) DSCN3417.jpgDSCN3387.jpgDSCN3383.jpgDSCN3380.jpgDSCN3377.jpg

I swear this is almost exactly how the original prop must've been put together.

Me too!
The only difference...I think they used all 8 rings from the browning 303. I used 7 thinking it wouldn't sit inside the grenade. it does, and one more ring would line it up EXACTLY with the Death Star screenshots

Edit: I should add two things.

1) I fixed this by including the cap for the rear of the grenade. I knocked out the flat head screw and used it as another center for the rod.

2) My dad has a romans clamp redbutton put his reducer right beneath the solid spacer in the clamp, butting against it. it makes for a seriously strong center. this means you'll need a 1/4 20 threaded rod and T nut instead of a bolt most likely, unless you find a really long bolt :lol

Last edited by a moderator:

I'm personally still not convinced... too much work when everything pretty much 'fits' together without the need for the flash hider.

I love the use of that flash hider ... yet I'm not convinced that it is what was done back in 1976 ... it has been suggested that a wooden spacer, perhaps colored black, could have been used under the clamp ... now when the lightsaber was taken apart after use on set and then put back together again for those prop pictures in Mechanismo Book and another use in TESB as a tool ... now that would explain those additional small 8 holes in the clamp to keep the booster connected with wires / cotter pins and the two brass screws to keep the grenade attached to the clamp because the wooden spacer was lost or misplaced. Sofar I haven't seen anybody use the Mechanismo technical drawing with an explanation of the working parts . . . to build the inerts of OB1's lightsaber :

SW_Saber_Large.jpg

Chaïm

Yea, I'm convinced they rebuilt it for that photo. The Shared Stunt clamp holes line up with those cotter pins too I think...

Anyway, the filming construction was solid, comparable to current replicas, so it could very well have been wood. I just used what was available on that table of parts. :)

You guys are forgetting one thing: the booster bearing. It's virtually the same diameter as the grenade, which makes it the perfect spacer, and has the holes to allow for the cotter pins. As far as I can tell, the bearing was as commons for the Browning M2s as the flash hider attachment, and best of all... no cutting or muss or fuss...

You guys are forgetting one thing: the booster bearing. It's virtually the same diameter as the grenade, which makes it the perfect spacer, and has the holes to allow for the cotter pins. As far as I can tell, the bearing was as commons for the Browning M2s as the flash hider attachment, and best of all... no cutting or muss or fuss...

Both the flash cone and the bearing have that ring of holes and you're right they fit a graflex clamp. I'm just not sure what else would be in the clamp other than the grenade rim and the lip from the Browning 303. The bearing on its own leave a huge gap and that's just not structurally sound.

Both the flash cone and the bearing have that ring of holes and you're right they fit a graflex clamp. I'm just not sure what else would be in the clamp other than the grenade rim and the lip from the Browning 303. The bearing on its own leave a huge gap and that's just not structurally sound.

Yeah, but as we all know, a single steel rod and a couple of bolts can hold everything together; or at the very least a couple of rods with a connector. And it's not as if the clamp itself is made of aluminum foil...

I hear you Edraven, yet you have to understand too that back in 1976 Roger and his prop team had a lot on their plate to fabricate and construct . . . . time = money and there was far less time to produce STAR WARS within the budget available than any sequels ... hence the wooden dowel theory, to put that lightsaber on set as soon as possible, instead of the ways we do it now with a rod through our real parts and replicas.

Chaïm

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back