Ghostbusters (2016) (Post-release)

Status
Not open for further replies.
My friend interviewed him for a documentary on second city and he said off camera that a major reason he retired is that he felt Hollywood worked his friend John Candy to death.

Candy's death was unfortunate but he wasn't in prison or anything. If he was hurting he could have walked away for a while or backed his schedule down. It seems like a strange reason for Moranis to hold a grudge against the industry and not make an occasional showing for a few days with old friends.

Harvey Keitel has been averaging about 3-4 acting jobs per year for literally decades. He's done way over 100 movies/TV.

I seem to be in the minority of the fanbase-- I'm didn't really like the video game all that much, story-wise. The game play was fun, but it would have made for a very weak canon sequel. Even Aykroyd's out-there ideas for GB3 read better than the GB:TVG story. People keep throwing around that it was written by Aykroyd and Ramis, but that's pretty far from the truth. They received credit, but really only punched up some dialog and techno babble-- they had nothing to do with the overall story.

I've always wondered why Aykroyd didn't sway them to adapt HELLBENT into the video game.
The weakest part for me was the acting. It's like only Ernie really wanted to be there and put effort into it, I guarantee Bill wasn't interested in it at all other than the ton of cash they offered. Honestly if they'd let Dan and the others have more input into the script it probably would have gone better or at least gotten a sequel. If anything Candy's death is a reminder that sometimes even your friends won't speak up about stuff you need to work on, everyone knew his weight was getting out of hand but they just let it go without at least sitting him down. He'd still have been just as funny if he'd been 100 pounds lighter than he was in the end, he didn't need to be the fat guy to be funny.

With a budget of $75 million, the success of "The Secret Life of Pets" is pretty much beating, oh, a good 90% of the movies released this year so far. And I wouldn't count the new Ghostbusters out yet. There's still the multi-media market and Feig has already stated he's working on an extended cut of the film.
Suicide Squad is going to open on over 4,100 screens this Thursday. Feigbusters has been relegated to the small studio theaters that sit something like 10 people. Feigbusters is done. The reboot doesn't have the legs that Jurassic World or Star Wars The Force Awakens. The only people that are going to buy the DVD or download it are the diehard pro rebooters.

Extended cut? That means they insert that four-minute long Bee Gees dance routine that cost over $2 million to film and ended up in the credits instead.

BTW, Jurassic World is the best movie to compare Feigbusters to. Both were reboot movies of their respective franchises. And it does make me wonder that if Sony did things differently what would have happened. There really was no excuse for a new Ghostbusters movie failing to make $100 million during its first weekend.

You've never seen an alternate cut of a Paul Feig movie, have you?
I have already wasted enough time watching parts of Feigbusters throughout various outlets. I have no plans on wasting anymore time with the reboot in its various forms. Regular, extended, special store exclusives. Not spending anymore money on it. An extended cut will not change the horrible plot or fill in all the plot holes. So, no thank you.

The sad thing is that I help run a GB franchise in the DC Area. And we have spent most of this year distancing ourselves from the reboot. Personally, I have given up on everything GB and am now getting SW costumes ready for Halloween and Rogue One.

Extended cut? That means they insert that four-minute long Bee Gees dance routine that cost over $2 million to film and ended up in the credits instead.

Not just an extended cut a 'glorious' 4 hour extended cut of the insanity.
there wasn't enough there for two hours, let alone four. Maybe we'll get more 'won ton' jokes... or scenes that go on excruciatingly longer.

And regarding the franchise.....I was at the point where an apology from dan and ivan, distancing themselves from feig and pascal and the mess they created would have had me return if future trailers without them involved looked good. but after dan's latest comments, it's hard to support someone who apparently thinks like feig. I do wonder what put dan over the final edge though. he went a looooong time without attacking the hand that kept him and his franchise alive. why in the last two weeks?

One last comment before this thread comes to an end, to the most vehement dectractors it's fine to not like a piece of entertainment but to wage a negative campaign against it while others may be deriving some enjoyment from it is where I take exception. You are intentionally robbing someone of a bit of joy they may have found. Sure, it's the Internet, but this forum is a community onto itself. To debate the pro's and con's has always been the path to rational discourse around here. To wage a carpet bomb campaign of hate is new, unpleasant, and really the very definition of "Trolling". Personally I like to find ways to enjoy my fandom not destroy it and lay blame. I also like discussing the pro's and con's of fandom, see my comments about Beyond, I recognize short fallings but do so in a way as to not take away from another fans "fun" and fun has been sorely lacking in this discussion.

The sad thing is that I help run a GB franchise in the DC Area. And we have spent most of this year distancing ourselves from the reboot. Personally, I have given up on everything GB and am now getting SW costumes ready for Halloween and Rogue One.

No. It's not sad at all. You are choosing to let this movie ruin the fandom for you out of some trivial sense of self-ritghiousness. A lot of fandoms can transcend the awfulness of what a franchise can deliver. Look at me and my weird relationship with Star Trek. I hate the JJverse and I hate almost half of the material that the previous incarnation of the series has put out, but I still consider it to be my favorite franchise of all time. No reboot, no retread, no stupid storyline and certainly no Beastie Boys song is going to make me turn in my pips. I stand by Star Trek just as much as I have before the JJ reboot, just as I still stand by the original Ghostbusters before Feig's take. And I quite like Feig's take so bonus for me I guess.

It's ok to hate this movie. But are you really doing yourself any favors by closing yourself out to a fandom that you claim to cherish? It just feels like a waste of a good thing since the idea of Ghostbusters in general is a really good thing.

No. It's not sad at all. You are choosing to let this movie ruin the fandom for you out of some trivial sense of self-ritghiousness. A lot of fandoms can transcend the awfulness of what a franchise can deliver. Look at me and my weird relationship with Star Trek. I hate the JJverse and I hate almost half of the material that the previous incarnation of the series has put out, but I still consider it to be my favorite franchise of all time. No reboot, no retread, no stupid storyline and certainly no Beastie Boys song is going to make me turn in my pips. I stand by Star Trek just as much as I have before the JJ reboot, just as I still stand by the original Ghostbusters before Feig's take. And I quite like Feig's take so bonus for me I guess.

It's ok to hate this movie. But are you really doing yourself any favors by closing yourself out to a fandom that you claim to cherish? It just feels like a waste of a good thing since the idea of Ghostbusters in general is a really good thing.

Case in point to anyone here, including @NeilT, who may or may not have me on ignore, @Jeyl and I have had some huge arguments over Trek and possibly other topics but I still appreciate his comments, have never considered ignoring him, and over time have found common ground we both agree on. That applies to people who I found very unpleasant comments here, I move on maybe so should we all.

Last edited:

I am on the fence about the future of our franchise. We did an outing for the June 12 showing of the original GB. Some patrons of the theater called one of our guys Melissa McCarthy just because he is a little on the heavy side. That member took exception and said something back. The name calling escalated and security asked us all to leave. The franchise members and the theater patrons. We haven't done an outing since.

And this isn't the first instance of name calling guys in original gear.....

On a different note, the Sausage Party TV spots have started. This movie may be a bigger hit for Sony than Feigbusters.

Last edited:
So a bad movie cannot damage your enjoyment of the franchise for you, but someone on RPF not liking it can?
Trolling the discussion with a constant barrage of vitriolic, aggressive whining can sure kill a good conversation.

I have already wasted enough time watching parts of Feigbusters throughout various outlets. I have no plans on wasting anymore time with the reboot in its various forms.
Except, you know, constantly complaining about it.

Personally, I have given up on everything GB...
Except this thread.

I am on the fence about the future of our franchise. We did an outing for the June 12 showing of the original GB. Some patrons of the theater called one of our guys Melissa McCarthy just because he is a little on the heavy side. That member took exception and said something back. The name calling escalated and security asked us all to leave. The franchise members and the theater patrons. We haven't done an outing since.

An unfortunate story made even more unfortunate when you consider the kind of person Paul Feig is. How can you use this story about a person fat shaming another person as justification for hating a film directed by a man who has shown in his work that he's above that kind of behavior? From Bridesmaids all the way to Ghostbusters, I cannot recall one instance where a character played by Melissa McCarthy was the center of a fat joke. He not only doesn't make fun of the fact that she's on the heavy side, but he gives her the leading roles! This is the kind of person I wish was given the Ghostbusters keys to years ago. Not now.

I got into the GB thing to make props. Back in the 1990s, all our franchise did was make props. Even for people that did not belong to our franchise. Then the GB community got word of how the Arizona GBs did charity outings and fundraisers. All of the sudden all these franchises became copycats and started doing appearances for charity. Some are legit and donate their money, but some are not and keep some or most of the funds raised. Then word of the reboot comes out and then fighting between the anti reboot and the pro reboot start. The divide started by Sony and Feig is wider today. Such is the state of the GB fandom.

An unfortunate story made even more unfortunate when you consider the kind of person Paul Feig is. How can you use this story about a person fat shaming another person as justification for hating a film directed by a man who has shown in his work that he's above that kind of behavior? From Bridesmaids all the way to Ghostbusters, I cannot recall one instance where a character played by Melissa McCarthy was the center of a fat joke. He not only doesn't make fun of the fact that she's on the heavy side, but he gives her the leading roles! This is the kind of person I wish was given the Ghostbusters keys to years ago. Not now.
Dressing up as a GB is one of those costumes that can pretty much take any body type. You don't have to worry about fitting into Stormtrooper Armor, or looking like certain face characters, and such. We heard of reports about teasing men GBs for being on the heavy side. There are also reports of GBs being called cross dressers, even when wearing original the GB uniforms.

As for the box office take, here is the real explanation on the box office numbers:

http://hotair.com/archives/2016/08/02/ghostbusters-reboot-is-struggling-to-break-even/

Golden, people calling you and your fellow fans names is mean spirited and wrong. What you must understand is that the people who do all the name calling were most doing this long before the new Ghostbusters came out. You cannot blame this new movie for the bad behavior of random people you've never met.

The later 2000s was a crappy time to be a Star Wars fan. The prequels were over and very disappointing. GL was basically done with SW and showing no signs of ever passing it on. Star Trek was being rebooted in a way that basically out-Star-Wars'd it.

Batman took a dive in the late 1990s/early 2000s. The Schumacher movies and subsequent dry spell trainwrecked things for the mainstream audience that wasn't watching the animated stuff.

Franchises have high & low points. Some go up & down, others go down and never come back. It happens.

Right now is a crappy time to be an original GB fan. This will probably pass in a few years as the Feigbusters dust settles (and a sequel does not seem likely IMO, not without major changes.)

A decent new GB reboot/sequel/etc would help, yeah, but another 5 more years without it probably won't be fatal to the franchise. Either way, at least the original cast & director's internal politics & aging creativity won't stop GB from being continued anymore. That had been holding things up for an entire generation. IMO the franchise would have difficulty surviving another 10-15 years of no continuation, which was really liable to have happened before Ramis died.

Batman took a dive in the late 1990s/early 2000s. The Schumacher movies and subsequent dry spell trainwrecked things for the mainstream audience that wasn't watching the animated stuff.

The Batman analogy always falls apart for me, as its movies were an interpretation of a long-lasting and evolving comic book character. James Bond, Sherlock Holmes, Superman, they can be seen on screen in strong or weak outings and ride out the storms; the audience never feels as though they're watching the definitive version of the character and they feel more free to embrace or reject it from their personal catalogue. Conversely, properties like Indiana Jones, Star Wars and Ghostbusters are defined by their films, and it's hard to scrub the stink of a bad outing from the franchise as a whole. My skin still crawls when I think of the prequels or Crystal Skull.

Yeah, many of us might take our movies too seriously by some standards, but that comes with the territory on the RPF.

Yeah, many of us might take our movies too seriously by some standards, but that comes with the territory on the RPF.

which makes it all the more confusing when folks don't get why others act the way they do...

With regard to the prequels... I think they where 60% good movies.

You needed better directing.

Better acting.

Slightly tighter scripts.

No aliens talking in controversial earth dialects...

and for gods sake make anakin likeable with a good actor so you feel sorry for him when he turns. not rooting for him to loose everything.

If they had fixed those problems, rather than have the yes man rick mcallum in charge kissing george's ass every step of the way..

they might have all of been as fun as Revenge of the Sith..

- - - Updated - - -

T
Franchises have high & low points. Some go up & down, others go down and never come back. It happens.

Right now is a crappy time to be an original GB fan. This will probably pass in a few years as the Feigbusters dust settles (and a sequel does not seem likely IMO, not without major changes.)

what they need is new people who UNDERSTAND what makes ghostbusters work. It's not so much about the ghosts, as it is the relationship between the characters.
They need someone willing to cultivate, expand and protect the brand.

It'd also help if they are generally a nice person and will stick up for the fan base....

that seems to happen less and less these days.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back