Back to the Future - Badges

I found this thread (and site--wow!) when doing a quick search for a Marty McFly costume - I got a dark orange vest given to me and was inspired to give this a try, and have quickly disappeared down the costuming rabbit-hole that is the 1985 outfit from BTTF. Anyway, thought it might be helpful to later readers - I found this guitar pin on eBay which seems like a reasonable replica of the one on the jacket (and probably the cheapest item from the whole ensemble!).

Just made my boomerang pin today and I'm happy with the way it turned out. I cut out the shape from a sheet of clear polyester and painted it with enamel paint, which worked well. For my first attempt, which you can see in the last picture, I tried to approximate the shape of the spatter, but it came out messier than I wanted it, so the second time I flicked the brush to make actual spatter, and while the shape of the spatter isn't perfectly accurate, I like it better. I'd love to hear what you guys think and if anyone has any suggestions for how to better control the spatter shape that would be awesome.

IMG_4899.JPG
IMG_4902.JPG
IMG_4872.JPG

Hey guys,

I bought this what seems to be an original ART IN REVOLUTION badge. I am saying this because the back of the pin looks rusty and rather unconventional from the badges that we can find nowadays. I remember Squidman posting what he thought was an original badge, and it gets me wondering, could Michael Jfox actually wears a reprint of the badge? Art in revolution badges were apparently distributed in London during an event in the late70s...? The print of the badge is great by the way, but the plastic seems to have tiny spots, almost like if it rained on it!

Here's a comparison with the other badge I had:

DSC_0548.jpg

Last edited:
Hmmmm, this just raises the question.
What does "ART IN REVOLUTION" mean and what is its context to the story?
I have a few theories about its meaning.
- Symbolism alluding to the fact that history repeats itself? Since that is a key plot element for all three movies.
- The slogan for Marty's band, The PinHeads.
- The costume designers just grabbed a random Pin and stuck it on the jacket.
- I am looking too deeply into this and I am crazy.

Hmmmm, this just raises the question.
What does "ART IN REVOLUTION" mean and what is its context to the story?
I have a few theories about its meaning.
- Symbolism alluding to the fact that history repeats itself? Since that is a key plot element for all three movies.
- The slogan for Marty's band, The PinHeads.
- The costume designers just grabbed a random Pin and stuck it on the jacket.
- I am looking too deeply into this and I am crazy.

I think in the 60s and 70s, art really started to be more visible and critical. It goes from paintings, fashion, cinema etc. I'd imagine mainly POP ART. Like Warhol, Paolozzi, Rosenquist etc... They did pretty controversial art pieces back in the day. Without counting the launch of Playboy magazines in the 50s, that probably created controversies; Just a prolongation of all that? I think it's what the badge means, especially if there was truly an event about it in London in the 70s.

Concerning why they chose the pin, I can't be sure, it's like wondering why he has a boomerang pin too :p People mentioning it might be a earring from Jenifer, but who knows :p

That "boomerang" pin looks like a guitar pick. Are we sure it's not just a stylized guitar pick? It would make sense considering the other pins are music related.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back