Am I REALLY the only one disappointed with TFA?

No man I disagree strongly and I have evidence to support it.
Star Trek TNG.
Big success. Years into the future from TOS. You had like one original character as a touchstone. Well two, the Enterprise of course granted a new ship.

A syndicated from the start episodic TV program based on a TV series vs. a feature film based on a film series franchise is not an apt comparison. TNG benefited from 25 first season episodes and even with that luxury wasn't very good. And in their pilot the brought in DeForrest Kelly to ground the series. From the standpoint of shear content, TNG had over 50 hours of screen time the first two seasons to try and sell the premise and they barley made it. TFA had ONE shot to bridge 30 years, bring back the old fans and bring in the new and the hit a undeniable bullseye. So their instinct has proven to be correct.

Oh, that's so funny, @NeoRutty wrote the same thing I said while I was typing.

So because it's on small screen and is weekly part of the year it utterly negates the possibility of it being successful on larger screen and episodes spread out a few years? I don't buy that.

They didn't want a mildly successful film that may grow interest, hopefully, in the next chapter... you need BIG OPENING WEEK. 90 percent satisfaction out of the gates.

Look at Terminator Genysis and it's next 2 flicks.... which will never happen now.

If TNG was a movie, and it's first one got the mild praise the first season of TNG got... they would be hugely disappointed after spending 4 billion on it.

They didn't want a mildly successful film that may grow interest, hopefully, in the next chapter... you need BIG OPENING WEEK. 90 percent satisfaction out of the gates.

Look at Terminator Genysis and it's next 2 flicks.... which will never happen now.

If TNG was a movie, and it's first one got the mild praise the first season of TNG got... they would be hugely disappointed after spending 4 billion on it.

If TNG relied on Escape from Farpoint as a theatrical release to carry a new franchise good luck with that! See, the context is different.

You guys are missing the main point. Most everybody wanted Episode VII to get away from the midichlorians and trade federation disputes and politics (the list goes on and on), and return to the OT's roots with simple but magical and timeless story-telling, as well as a return to practical creature fabrication and practical models and practical sets/locations. Buuuuuuuut, NOBODY was clamoring for a fracking remake of George's original story. And a pisspoor one, at that. The writers and filmmakers could've given us something new, but in the tone and mood and feel and look of the OT. Instead, they made a cheap carbon copy of A New Hope. But in doing so, they failed to capture any of its elegance or magic.

I can only imagine George Lucas walking out of his private screening of TFA, where he said to Kennedy, "I really liked it.", and then hopping in his car, driving off the Disney lot, and laughing his ass off, "REALLY KATHLEEN?!?! REAAAALLY JJ?!?! IS THAT ALL YOU GOT?!?!?! A TOTAL RIPOFF OF MY STORY?!?!?!?! BWAH HAH HAH HAH HAH HAH!!!!!!!"

@CessnaDriver knows the score. You guys oughta listen to him.

The Wook

You guys are missing the main point. Most everybody wanted Episode VII to get away from the midichlorians and trade federation disputes and politics (the list goes on and on), and return to the OT's roots with simple but magical and timeless story-telling, as well as a return to practical creature fabrication and practical models and practical sets/locations. Buuuuuuuut, NOBODY was clamoring for a fracking remake of George's original story. And a pisspoor one, at that. The writers and filmmakers could've given us something new, but in the tone and mood and feel and look of the OT. Instead, they made a cheap carbon copy of A New Hope. But in doing so, they failed to capture any of its elegance or magic.

I can only imagine George Lucas walking out of his private screening of TFA, where he said to Kennedy, "I really liked it.", and then hopping in his car, driving off the Disney lot, and laughing his ass off, "REALLY KATHLEEN?!?! REAAAALLY JJ?!?! IS THAT ALL YOU GOT?!?!?! A TOTAL RIPOFF OF MY STORY?!?!?!?! BWAH HAH HAH HAH HAH HAH!!!!!!!"

@CessnaDriver knows the score. You guys oughta listen to him.

The Wook

But it achieved just that for millions and millions of viewers, and that's not opinion, it's fact.

Ugh... I'm so tired of "Georges Original Story"... I love ANH as much as the next guy, but it wasn't original. the universe was original (to a degree)... but the story is point by point The Hero Journey... it doesn't deviate for a second. In fact, when I can't remember the proper steps to the hero story by the proper name, I just refer to the plot point by it's moment in Star Wars...

Now if you said "A fraking retelling of the Hero's Journey!!!" I wouldn't have cared.

No, I provided additional context that disproves your point entirely. Is this thing on?

Disproves? no sorry, that isn't possible with opinion.
Factually yes I am correct a franchise was returned to into it's future with minimal touchstones and worked. SW could have done so to
unless SW fans are utter simpletons requiring spoon feeding.

Disproves? no sorry, that isn't possible with opinion.
Factually yes I am correct a franchise was returned to into it's future with minimal touchstones and worked. SW could have done so to
unless SW fans are utter simpletons requiring spoon feeding.

Yes, opinions can be wrong factually. At best you have put forth a logical fallacy, at worst you are using TNG as a straw man. Either way due to the contextual difference myself and @NeoRutty have pointed out, and he's actually in the entertainment business and likely is better informed then both of us, your comparison is not apt. The first two season of TNG were critical failures and not embraced widely by fans. If it wasn't for the fact it was syndicated it would have been dumped from a major network. So your example is really terrible.

I wouldn't say it wouldn't have worked, I'm saying there's no way they were making a Star Wars movie that didn't have some grounding in the O.T. Like it or not, that's not how movies are made now. You need something people can recognize...

Even in your TV show, Star Trek the next Generation....

For example....

That ship looks eeeeerily familiar... and it's even called the ENTERPRISE?

WE WANT SOMETHING NEW! how many years have gone by and it's the SAME FRIGGIN DESIGN!!!

Why weren't we watching a Star Trek show following any other ship...

Calling into question, once again, the taste of the masses.

The Wook

Not the masses, me. And Dan, and all the others who voted TFA as their favorite film of 2015 in the RPF forum poll, and beyond. So if it makes you feel vindicated in your opinion to dismiss all of us as having no taste, that's fine.

A Star Wars film set far enough into the future for a fresh start is great idea, new ground to be covered and written well could be just as big a hit as rebooquel nostalgia Wars.
You can still have Jedi, and all sorts of the wonderful things SW is known for.
And guess what? In ten years maybe we will see it.
Because what are the going to do next time when these good guys win and have their happy ending?
Eff it up again like they did to the OT? LOL

I'm forgetting Batman Beyond too. But hey, it's TV so poopoo right?
Granted Wayne is there but still fresh start in the future.

A Star Wars film set far enough into the future for a fresh start is great idea, new ground to be covered and written well could be just as big a hit as rebooquel nostalgia Wars.
You can still have Jedi, and all sorts of the wonderful things SW is known for.
And guess what? In ten years maybe we will see it.
Because what are the going to do next time when these good guys win and have their happy ending?
Eff it up again like they did to the OT? LOL

Well, this I can address as it's similar to what I do for work. Risk management. Sure they could have done what you suggest but the probability of achieving the same level of success is diminished greatly. You ask your old fan base to accept something entirely new and for new fans there is no connection to the more familiar elements of the OT that Dan very eloquently pointed out. Did you read his post, because it's all there.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm forgetting Batman Beyond too. But hey, it's TV so poopoo right?
Granted Wayne is there but still fresh start in the future.

I don't even know what that is which sort of proves the point.

Inevitably I predict I will be proven correct by box office one day since that appears to be the big metric of success.
God, devil, sun or Yoda willing I will still be here in ten years or so,. Because I think they will be forced to pick a fresh start at some point, perhaps even the distant past.

Batman Beyond is a show I wouldn't even touch as a huge Bats fan... the suit still looks stupid to me. And Bruce Wayne is Batman... not that dude... not that Azreal guy... not Dick Grayson wearing the cowl....

Bruuuuuuce.

That's why when people say Batman, no one thinks of Batman Beyond...

And I promise you, WB will never make a 131 million dollar Batman film with THIS Batman....

adnmybsmrdrfnftahgc8.jpg

Batman Beyond is a show I wouldn't even touch as a huge Bats fan... the suit still looks stupid to me. And Bruce Wayne is Batman... not that dude... not that Azreal guy... not Dick Grayson wearing the cowl....

Bruuuuuuce.

That's why when people say Batman, no one thinks of Batman Beyond...

And I promise you, WB will never make a 131 million dollar Batman film with THIS Batman....

View attachment 600854

it did well enough to say that yes you can go forward and have a fresh take and it's not instantly rejected. I don't think they were trying to replace the Batman mythos simply something new. It was on for several years and that's pretty good for toons. Hell there have been great toons that are legendary only on for a few years. Jonny Quest for instance.

Inevitably I predict I will be proven correct by box office one day since that appears to be the big metric of success.
God, devil, sun or Yoda willing I will still be here in ten years or so,. Because I think they will be forced to pick a fresh start at some point, perhaps even the distant past.

It is, or at least very much was, for this film. They needed a BIG splash and they got it. Expectations about Rogue One box office are far more modest and the Anthology films are the opportunity to do things different. Rogue One from what I have been hearing is very unlike any SW product seen before. And I have a feeling Rian Johnson is going to put a unique stamp on Ep. VIII. And we will have films in perpetuity or until the fans stop showing up.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back