Chroming questions

Sucre

Hey, guys, I have a few chroming questions.
I noticed that Volpin got his Guy Manuel Daft Punk helmet chromed in silver, but somehow he made it turn out gold on his own. Any answers on that? Any cheap chroming services or DIY? Also, could you recommend any gold chrome spray paints (rattle cans)? I know that they aren't great, but are cheap. All answers are appreciated.

ok.

have you asked voplin?

which country are you located in?

there are a pile of videos on you tube for alcad etc..

for proper chroming we need to know where you are to give you any directions.

Can't I order a kit? I don't like putting where I live out there, and, I doubt there are any chroming places near me, and if they are, they'll be really expensive. As for contacting volpin, I've tried to email him multiple times.

Volpin's Guy Man helmet WAS chromed in gold, not silver. But most companies will lay down differing layers. So either you saw a shot from earlier on the process before the overcoat was applied, or the lighting made it look silver.

Alclad is about the only "home" solution in a can that will allow you to get anywhere near a chrome look...but it still won't give you a mirror shine. (And isn't "technically" cheap...it is relatively cheap though compared with other alternatives)

Off-the-shelf rattle cans are basically crap. You will get something that is silvery or goldish, but won't actually have any reflective index.

Most of the quality of the finish is down to your prep work. You will be a lot better off trying to smooth your surface out PERFECTLY, then applying a HIGH GLOSS black and finally doing a very light mist of your silver. That is the best solution you will get at home. But you will still need to spend money on your prep materials and take the time to do it right.

Finally, learn to chill. 1-5 hours is not a lot to wait for an answer. We're not here to answer your questions. We're fans and nerds like you. When someone can answer you, they will. Otherwise, just subscribe to the thread to be notified the moment someone replies.

Hell, I have threads from YEARS ago, I'm still waiting on answers for. haha

-Nick

Hey, Nick, thank you so much for the answer, I bumped the threads because they die really easy if they don't get bumped or answered. Thanks for the help.

Last edited by a moderator:
zorg , thanks for the links, but for the can comparison, can you give me a gold chrome comparison?
Also, at CessnaDriver , how much did they charge you?

As I said before, Sucre, we are not here just to answer questions for you. People here have given you a lot of help already. Do a little leg work yourself instead of treating us like Human Google. This website and the entire internet has PLENTY of information for you if you just look for it.

-Nick

TheNickFox I've been searching for gold chrome comparison forever and can't find anything. I had to take a 6 month class specifically for searching things on google, it really payed off but I can't find gold chrome comparison.

@TheNickFox I've been searching for gold chrome comparison forever and can't find anything. I had to take a 6 month class specifically for searching things on google, it really payed off but I can't find gold chrome comparison.

Six months to learn how to search on Google? If you paid money for it... demand it back! (If you took and passed a course in searching, using the RPF shouldn't be very confusing.)

Here you go. 2+ million hits in a couple seconds. There's the "similar threads" field at the bottom of the page as well.

Also... three bumps in as many hours? Not to seem unwelcoming, but you need to chill a bit and start learning how things are done around here or you will not last long. And really, I doubt anyone on the RPF is going to begin stalking you if they know where you live. If you act all secretive and whatnot, people are going to think YOU are up to shenanigans and not be very trusting with helping you. Just some friendly advice.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back