Casting help

Topgun

Hey guys I have a dinosaur egg and a raptor claw that I want to make casts of. I've never done this before and wanted to know a good material to material to make a mold with. I was planing to cast with plaster but I want something stronger that feels heavy and can be painted. any suggestions?

- - - Updated - - -

What is Drystone BTW? is that another name for plaster?

check some material suppliers for a "starter kit". That will be silicone and resin/plastic pending what the supplier offers.

You want casting resin (There's a reason everyone uses it)
After painting and proper "weathering", you won't be able to tell the resing piece from real bone.
51XIoUAZyAL._SY300_.jpg

great question!

I too have always wanted to 'try' to cast something.. (even mold first if I get ballsy) :)....

but never had a clue where to start. I saw some links/kits (starter) mentioned at your local Michael's craft store....

Are there many 'parts' of this puzzle?

1.) build box (learning about registration pints..etc)
2.) buy 'kit'

ow many different chemicals/ingredients are needed?

I see things mentioned like release agent.. and many different 'name' (terminology) that seem to be common in that scene..

Also.. to vary the topic a bit...
what do people use when doing the 'rubber/urethane' type flash/Capt. America type helmets? (brand? type?)

would be fun to take a couple of my kids' toys and cast them to get a nice idea of the process and just learn/play with something new!

thanks!

The best way to get into this will be using general purpose RTV silicone mould making rubber.

The best material for casting is liquid plastic or 'polyurethane' resins. The main difference when shopping for these is cure time.
I prefer something relatively fast (3mins) but you may prefer to use a slower curing resin until you get your technique down.
Liquid plastic resins will look most like bone or shell when painted. To save money you can look into rotocasting your pieces and filling them with something cheap and heavy (plaster) or you can actually mix powders into the liquid plastic to make it heavier and use less of it (talc is cheap).

If you would still prefer to cast in plaster then you can buy stronger plasters, 'stone plaster' is stronger than generic plaster, 'alpha K' plaster is the strongest kind (although it comes with a price tag).
As far as I can tell 'Drystone' is just a brand name of casting plaster, probably similar to stone plaster or Alpha K, which are just generic names. You'd have to check their strength stats to be sure.

There are hundreds of videos that'll explain the process. This one explains a 2 part mould nice and clearly.
Or if you want something a bit less dry, watch Matt Munson's videos.

I use foam-board and hot glue, for making moulds.
I just use petroleum jelly as a mould release.
For a two part mould you'll need clay / plasticine to embed your object in.*
You'll also need:
-talc / cornflour to dust the mould
-disposable cups
-stirrers (I use lolly sticks)
- paper towels.
-scales
- eye protection and gloves are a good idea.

*When ever doing a two part mould I prefer to place my object on some foam board, draw round it, cut out the hole then sit my object in the hole and just use a small amount of clay to seal around the edges, this means there is far less clay to remove afterward and the majority of my mould base it flat.

Petroleoum Jelly and Talc are not really professional, they are 'cheap and cheerful' and I don't mean that disrespectfully , you can get some reasonable work using those , but it is best to use the correct material for the job , so mold release agent recommended by the supplier of the casting compound is better as its 'suits' the material better and you get a longer lasting mold and decent quality of reproduction for longer. Spend what you can afford and get the best product you can , you'll be amazed by how much better your cast become !

All great tips here. I have to add though, there are many types of plaster these days and some are very very good for this type of project. "Crystalline r plaster" is a really hard (strong) plaster and has a very realistic shell/egg like finish. Herculite 2 is also pretty good just not as hard.

For the most part and mould you make for resin you could also try with some plaster first although the mould making tends to be the hard part. Poring stuff into a mould is pretty simple in comparison. Plaster is a lot thicker than resin though so a larger filling hole might be needed.

I use plaster for lots of stuff and I think folk often don't know there are a lot of great plaster products and types out there with many a good use. As I mentioned, if I wanted to make an egg I know what I'd use...

I hope I don;t sound like I'm knocking resin. I'm so not. I love the smell of resin in the morning :lol but when you need a screwdriver, use a screwdriver.:thumbsup

The easiest and simplest I know of is getting smooth-on's pourable silicone starter kit. Comes with rubber, resin, sealer,mold release, written and DVD instructions. I highly recommend getting the kit and giving it a try, very fun and once you pull a sucessful part (might be the first one), you're addicted.

Madmanmoe gave a good list, though you don't need a scale for the oomoo or smoothcast that comes with the kit I mentioned.

There's plenty of methods, tips and tricks out there, but here's the most basic and easiest I know:
For a basic part with a flat side , use some clay (super sculpey, etc), roll it out flat and level, push the part into it slightlty, then either find something a bit taller than the object and just a bit bigger around (small section of pvc pipe for instance) or you can even take a strip of styrene with the ends taped together and put it around the object and push it into the clay. Your part is now boxed and ready to mold.

I don't think I've used sealer on anything, as it's only needed if the master part is porous. I also don't use mold release for an one part mold most of the time.

With the oomoo rubber in that kit, you just mix equal parts A and B (stir slowly so you don't create extra bubbles) and then pour it into the lowest part of your box. Pour slowly and a thin string, this helps burst bubbles while pouring. The rubber has a low viscosity (for rubber) and will self level. If you come up a bit short when you've poured it all, just mix a bit more and pour again, it'll stick to itself (the sooner you do it the better). Once the part is well covered tap the sides of the mold box to help release bubbles to the top, where they'll pop.

If I remeber correctly, oomoo has a 6 hour cure time, but I've found a few more hours is better, as it still feels soft to me then. Overnight is great.

Once cured, just removed the walls of your mold box, the clay from the bottom, and the original. If any rubber leaked under the part, just trim it with a small pair of scissors (I use cuticle scissors).

You're ready to mix and pour the resin. I rarely use mold release,unless I have fears of something tearing easily. For a part that will be painted, use baby powder (cornstarch). It doesn't serve as a mold release really, but provides capillary action to help pull the resin into smaller cavities. Sprinkle a bit in, brush it around, dump it out, then blow it out well. Mix equals parts A and B (mix it well without creating a bunch of bubbles, but don't waste time, it kicks fast), pour it in slowly, then wait till cured (I usually wait 15-20 minutes). Might seem backwards, but smaller parts take longer to cure than larger. Reason being is that the chemical reaction between the two parts of resin produces heat which cures them. A smaller part will produce less heat, so it takes longer. A large dense batch of resin will acutally produce quite a bit of heat.

Once it's cured, remove the cast, clean it with a degreaser if you used mold release, then it's ready to finish.

As for the urethane rubber used for some cowls and mask, I know CFC has said he used smooth-on's vytaflex and I think I recall someone saying they used the reoflex (also by smooth-on) for a mask/helmet/cowl.

great question!

I too have always wanted to 'try' to cast something.. (even mold first if I get ballsy) :)....

but never had a clue where to start. I saw some links/kits (starter) mentioned at your local Michael's craft store....

Are there many 'parts' of this puzzle?

1.) build box (learning about registration pints..etc)
2.) buy 'kit'

ow many different chemicals/ingredients are needed?

I see things mentioned like release agent.. and many different 'name' (terminology) that seem to be common in that scene..

Also.. to vary the topic a bit...
what do people use when doing the 'rubber/urethane' type flash/Capt. America type helmets? (brand? type?)

would be fun to take a couple of my kids' toys and cast them to get a nice idea of the process and just learn/play with something new!

thanks!

Not tying to hijack the thread, but hopefully this fits the topic. I'm new to casting as well and was wondering, what is the best product to use to fill in air holes the size of a bee bee? I don't know if it matters but it's at the edge of the piece.

Air holes, pits, dents and blemish or defects, use any car body type of filler , P398, Bondo , plastic padding , any two part epoxy eg Milliput etc . mic a little smoooth it on , sand it down using coarse ,medium and fine , when dry - job done !

Air holes, pits, dents and blemish or defects, use any car body type of filler , P398, Bondo , plastic padding , any two part epoxy eg Milliput etc . mic a little smoooth it on , sand it down using coarse ,medium and fine , when dry - job done !

Great, thanks for the info!

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back