New McFly jean jacket replica!

Huh. I am very gladly proven wrong lol. I guess a couple different models exist since the button snap in the middle is different in the movie than yours. And the waistband has more sections than the screenused prop. But great find and I hope you never get rid of it.

Thanks, and I promise it's not going anywhere! lol

From what I can gather it seems like the button placement on some of these are a little inconsistent. I've noticed a similar issue with the down vests too, it might have to do with the size, but I'm pretty sure this jacket is the same size as MJF's (medium). I'm guessing that a lot of the clothes back then were more hand produced, and not as consistently machine made.

The waistband has definitely intrigued me over the years, this is purely speculation on my part, but I think the costuming people might've either rolled 1/3 of the waistband over and stitched it together to sew the Hollywood pattern jacket lining in, or trimmed it off...Because if you look at the back of his jacket it's very bunched up (which isn't how any of the Guess jackets look), and the front bottom corners of his seem to roll over on to themselves, so I'm guessing that was an alteration done to the jacket, that maybe had the added benefit of making it a little shorter to fit MJF better.

Screen Shot 2018-04-25 at 7.15.36 PM.png

I wish anyone actually remembered having worked on this, kept notes, knew where the original was, etc. It would've saved all of us a whole lot of brain power over the years! haha

Thanks, and I promise it's not going anywhere! lol

From what I can gather it seems like the button placement on some of these are a little inconsistent. I've noticed a similar issue with the down vests too, it might have to do with the size, but I'm pretty sure this jacket is the same size as MJF's (medium). I'm guessing that a lot of the clothes back then were more hand produced, and not as consistently machine made.

The waistband has definitely intrigued me over the years, this is purely speculation on my part, but I think the costuming people might've either rolled 1/3 of the waistband over and stitched it together to sew the Hollywood pattern jacket lining in, or trimmed it off...Because if you look at the back of his jacket it's very bunched up (which isn't how any of the Guess jackets look), and the front bottom corners of his seem to roll over on to themselves, so I'm guessing that was an alteration done to the jacket, that maybe had the added benefit of making it a little shorter to fit MJF better.

View attachment 812929

I wish anyone actually remembered having worked on this, kept notes, knew where the original was, etc. It would've saved all of us a whole lot of brain power over the years! haha

That actually makes sense. Good eye. And hey would you be able to tell if this jacket is genuine? My first guess is no because the blue pieces look too dark but you never know. Also the pockets look too far away from the inner edges of the jacket and it looks like there is a white Guess tag above the pocket on the right hand side as you see it in the picture. It popped up on ebay a few years ago and I missed out on it and have been curious ever since.
11083925_10204305121896236_409643103127400606_o.jpg

Lyon - awesome post... Do you mean that you purchased back in '84, or someone did back in the day?

Thanks for sharing!

That actually makes sense. Good eye. And hey would you be able to tell if this jacket is genuine? My first guess is no because the blue pieces look too dark but you never know. Also the pockets look too far away from the inner edges of the jacket and it looks like there is a white Guess tag above the pocket on the right hand side as you see it in the picture. It popped up on ebay a few years ago and I missed out on it and have been curious ever since.
https://scontent-iad3-1.xx.fbcdn.ne...=c351ab9af217c339d2a059f06b6baf3e&oe=5B520111

I'm 99.9% sure it's a custom trying to emulate the photos of the "close but not exact" pics I posted earlier. They've definitely done a good job of following a lot of the stitch patterns, but the buttons snaps look too new and silver, and the denim is too dark all across the board, They might've even bought one of the Guess jackets with incorrect colors or leather patches, and dyed it and replaced the leather patches with denim. Because it looks pretty good, but still "off" in a lot of ways.

Lyon - awesome post... Do you mean that you purchased back in '84, or someone did back in the day?

Thanks for sharing!

Thanks! The person I bought it from got it in '84.

Wow, Lyon Estates that is an amazing jacket! It's really cool to see one off the rack with that color scheme. Excellent find! The one thing I'll point out about the movie jacket versus all the off the rack jackets, though, are the difference in the button positions. If you see in your jacket pic and the other vintage pic of an off the rack guess jacket, the button (closest to the Guess tag) lies below that middle stitching line:
Screen Shot 2018-04-26 at 1.07.56 PM.pngScreen Shot 2018-04-26 at 1.08.08 PM.png

And the jacket from the movie has that button placed ABOVE the stitching line:
Screen Shot 2018-04-26 at 1.10.04 PM.png

There's also an example of a similar jacket with an above button but off the rack from Guess I saw on a BTTF cosplay page on FB:
Screen Shot 2018-04-26 at 1.11.40 PM.png

So the question remains: what's the deal with there being two different stitching patterns, both from Guess, and was MJF's jacket custom made from Guess or was it an off the rack with new lining?

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow, @Lyon Estates that is an amazing jacket! It's really cool to see one off the rack with that color scheme. Excellent find! The one thing I'll point out about the movie jacket versus all the off the rack jackets, though, are the difference in the button positions. If you see in your jacket pic and the other vintage pic of an off the rack guess jacket, the button (closest to the Guess tag) lies below that middle stitching line:
View attachment 813097View attachment 813098

And the jacket from the movie has that button placed ABOVE the stitching line:
View attachment 813099

There's also an example of a similar jacket with an above button but off the rack from Guess I saw on a BTTF cosplay page on FB:
View attachment 813100

So the question remains: what's the deal with there being two different stitching patterns, both from Guess, and was MJF's jacket custom made from Guess or was it an off the rack with new lining?

This was already answered. He believes that the process of manufacturing the jackets was not as streamlined as today's clothing manufacturing so that button varied from different jackets. The lining was most likely put in by the costume department to hold the walkman or other items MJF needed during filming.

Last edited by a moderator:
This was already answered. He believes that the process of manufacturing the jackets was not as streamlined as today's clothing manufacturing so that button varied from different jackets. The lining was most likely put in by the costume department to hold the walkman or other items MJF needed during filming.
Oooh okay that makes sense!

I cannot speak for him, but I am convinced it is. I compared the pictures side by side and they have the same fade marks in the same places. I remember seeing that picture somewhere, but I cant remember where.

- - - Updated - - -

Slightly related, but was it ever found out of what the boomerang pin was on the jacket? The best guess anyone had was it was an earring that Jennifer gave him to put on his jacket because that was a thing girls did back in the 80s.

Last edited:
I cannot speak for him, but I am convinced it is. I compared the pictures side by side and they have the same fade marks in the same places. I remember seeing that picture somewhere, but I cant remember where.

- - - Updated - - -

Slightly related, but was it ever found out of what the boomerang pin was on the jacket? The best guess anyone had was it was an earring that Jennifer gave him to put on his jacket because that was a thing girls did back in the 80s.

Page 4 of this very thread. :lol Now it's obviously up to Lyon Estates if he/she chooses to/not to discuss their jackets origin any further here but seeing as the jacket pictured (which is strikingly similar, as you said, to the one they posted) was mentioned three years earlier in this thread, I thought I'd ask.

Last edited:
@Lyon Estates man that's incredible, what dedication. Was the person you purchased it from a BTTF fan?

I remember this eBay jacket. The seller said it was in his wife's mom's closet, but they must have somewhat known what they had because I think it sold for a few hundred dollars at least at Buy It Now. I think it was only up for a few hours at most, I remember being extremely disappointed I missed out.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back