NEW (OLD) MILLENNIUM FALCON from SOLO the movie

No. I'm saying why the hell have they not. They have made a 1:350 OT and 1:72 OT Falcon.

I'm shocked they haven't done a 1:144 OT Falcon.

Probably because a certain number of their new kit releases are promotional tie-ins to whatever new movie Disney is pimping. Now that we're getting one new movie a year, that limits the number of kits from older films. TBH, it's not hard to turn the TFA 1:144 Falcon into an OT Falcon. A Shapeways OT dish is pretty cheap and the newer TLJ Falcon kit doesn't even have the mirrored sidewalls of the TFA version. Jaitea and Astroboy have made some pretty stellar conversions.

Probably because a certain number of their new kit releases are promotional tie-ins to whatever new movie Disney is pimping. Now that we're getting one new movie a year, that limits the number of kits from older films. TBH, it's not hard to turn the TFA 1:144 Falcon into an OT Falcon. A Shapeways OT dish is pretty cheap and the newer TLJ Falcon kit doesn't even have the mirrored sidewalls of the TFA version. Jaitea and Astroboy have made some pretty stellar conversions.

Yeah, I figure that's probably the reason, but as you said, if it's so easy, Bandai just need throw in a new dish and docking rings. :)

Maybe it's just me! But the more times I watch the Solo trailer the more convinced I become that in this movie the Falcon is brand new. And Lando, Han etc steal it.
I cannot totally quantify this, it's just the impression that I get.
If I'm right then this pisses all over what we have been led to believe about our favourite hunk of junk.

Maybe it's just me! But the more times I watch the Solo trailer the more convinced I become that in this movie the Falcon is brand new. And Lando, Han etc steal it.
I cannot totally quantify this, it's just the impression that I get.
If I'm right then this pisses all over what we have been led to believe about our favourite hunk of junk.

Na.....The dirt around the engine fans compared to the new bodykit gives it away that it's an old bird tarted up

J

It might be a fun project, but I think it's 99% likely that Bandai will be offering a 1/144 version within a few months that is accurate and a lot less work. Not to dissuade you from doing it, mind you. I've got a couple old MPCs too and I have no motivation to do anything with them.

1/144 most likely, but I doubt anyone will be releasing a 1/72 version and the MPC is pretty much the size of the Bandai 1/72 PG Falcon, but a lot cheaper

Maybe there will be a Lando version and Han modified version released for this film. Obviously they wouldn't need to do much new development for the Han modified version since they have the TLJ version.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk

TBH, it's not hard to turn the TFA 1:144 Falcon into an OT Falcon.

I’m not sure about that. To convert the TFA Falcon to an OT accurately you need to replace:

- all sidewalls all the way around
- all 8 circular maintenance pits
- the octagonal maintenance pit
- the lower maintenance pits
- the engine grille
- the cockpit tunnel ridge
- one side of the inner mandible sidewalls
- the docking rings
- both quad cannons

Oh, and the dish antenna.

I’m not sure about that. To convert the TFA Falcon to an OT accurately you need to replace:

- the engine grille
- the docking rings
- both quad cannons

I also think the thickness of the Falcon is idealized for the film.
Basically, even though the new falcon has added panels they make it look thin and sleek...in reality im guessing it would be pretty thick and chunky with those added panels.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

- the engine grille
- the docking rings
- both quad cannons

All true -- the key work being "accurately." I should've said "turn the TFA 1:144 into a reasonable OT Falcon." At 1:144 scale, I'm not going for the same level of accuracy as the PG. But everyone's mileage will vary.

All true -- the key work being "accurately." I should've said "turn the TFA 1:144 into a reasonable OT Falcon." At 1:144 scale, I'm not going for the same level of accuracy as the PG. But everyone's mileage will vary.

Hrm. I find your lack of obsessive devotion disturbing!

Also, I spent freakin' forever modelling just about every darn piece in that list to make a proper OT Falcon. And I figured that, the moment I was done Bandai would release an OT 1:144 model. So far, no, but we'll see I suppose...

I also think the thickness of the Falcon is idealized for the film.
Basically, even though the new falcon has added panels they make it look thin and sleek...in reality im guessing it would be pretty thick and chunky with those added panels.

Only if you think the panels line up perfectly with the understructure. They could be angled, so they connect with the undestructure near the turret, but out near the outer edge, there is a greater distance between the panel and the understructure, making it seem visually "slimmer".

Also... they are smugglers. They are going on a smuggling run. Who's to say they don't pimp out their vessel to fool who they are stealing from and making later identification difficult, when they strip off all that fake extensions? It's like the good guys changing into Stormtrooper armor in ANH. It's not how they normally look, but to fly under the radar it's the perfect solution. The stuff is removable and I don't see how it changes continuity. Sure, I haven't studied the various Falcons like you guys have. There's the basic shape type and then there are all sorts of add-ons depending on what you need it for. That actually makes the vehicle much more versatile in my opinion, than if it only had its basic shape design. So seeing more freighters in perfect condition would make more sense when Luke calls the Falcon a piece of junk, if he's used to the more pimped out versions and not seeing the bare-bones shell of a ship.

Difference between a factory car and a hot rod custom job.

Maybe I'm just talking nonsense, but I kinda like the new design. :)

Last edited:
Hrm. I find your lack of obsessive devotion disturbing!

Also, I spent freakin' forever modelling just about every darn piece in that list to make a proper OT Falcon. And I figured that, the moment I was done Bandai would release an OT 1:144 model. So far, no, but we'll see I suppose...

I'm expending all my obsessiveness on my PG Falcon. :lol If I obsess too much on every kit, I'll never get through my stash before I die. I'm not a young man! The clock it ticking!

The toy looks like it has "blow off" panels.

View attachment 795811

I thought that too. I'm thinking there is probably a point in the film where it all comes apart. And whats with the red flashing panels on the mandibles? some kind of damage??? Maybe this toy is telling more than we think.

- - - Updated - - -

The toy looks like it has "blow off" panels.

View attachment 795811

I thought that too. I'm thinking there is probably a point in the film where it all comes apart. And whats with the red flashing panels on the mandibles? some kind of damage??? Also the front jaw box looks hinged so it opens. Maybe this toy is telling more than we think.

Toy functionality doesn't always follow the plot (i.e. the removable panels on the toy AOTC Jedi starfighter), but in this case it seems likely. The evidence is pretty strong that the old familiar Falcon is hidden underneath a shell of plating and at some point we'll see some of the plating coming off. Given the prominence of the Falcon in the sequels, the filmmakers know its an icon and the change in appearance is really just about telling part of the ship's origin story. As a concept, I like what they've done far more than if they'd just removed the dents, gave it a fresh coat of paint and called it a day. The Solo Falcon helps sell the idea even more in the OT that Han's Falcon is a stripped down smuggler's hot-rod.

If you look closely you can see a seam in the nose section that indicates it may come off to reveal the two mandibles.

8fadbb2ab3065caf099351913da68568.jpg

The evidence is pretty strong that the old familiar Falcon is hidden underneath a shell of plating and at some point we'll see some of the plating coming off. Given the prominence of the Falcon in the sequels, the filmmakers know its an icon and the change in appearance is really just about telling part of the ship's origin story.

Cue 80's montage music as Han and Chewie remove the panels before the Kessel Run:lol

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back