Has anyone tried 3D printing an Endoskeleton? Please discuss

This is on Thingyverse,all credit to the maker,i hope it helps http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2127882

Oh Yes! That is surely what I was aiming for. They did all the knuckle washers and finger-pulleys in 3D print as well. I tried printing things that small, and they disappeared in the brim. I imagined using brass tube for the hand pistons, and they drew that out as well.

My conclusion: I think I will try printing that.

Have you tried 3D Studio from Autodesk instead?

No. Why? I will do a search for it. I have Sketchup Style Builder and Layout. They installed when I downloaded the make version. I don't use them. Sketchup has failed me for a 3D printing program. Drawing, yes: Printing, no.

No. Why? I will do a search for it. I have Sketchup Style Builder and Layout. They installed when I downloaded the make version. I don't use them. Sketchup has failed me for a 3D printing program. Drawing, yes: Printing, no.

It's a professional level program, I've used it for years since high school (DOS based lol), and found that for modelling in 3D for printing, it has yet to let me down. Also way easier to learn than Blender.

17142077_1623942214287005_1648515294_o.jpg

Thus far, the right lower arm has been printed. I ended up using the files from Thingiverse rather than the ones that I had drawn. My Prints from my Sketchup drawings were fine with the exception that the holes didn't line up well and I couldn't put a shaft thru them. So I used the Thingiverse files which printed well.

I am now building the Palm Pistons out of Brass tube stock and some model airplane parts.

What I have learned so far: The Printing is easy, but the Drawing is Hard. Sketchup Draws well, but getting a 3D printable is harder than I first thought. I have contacted Do3D about developing an Endoskeleton model for me and it should be ready by the end of the month. From what I have read on this board about them, their files are good, but the first attempt usually needs repairs. I will see how that goes.

View attachment 712939

Thus far, the right lower arm has been printed. I ended up using the files from Thingiverse rather than the ones that I had drawn. My Prints from my Sketchup drawings were fine with the exception that the holes didn't line up well and I couldn't put a shaft thru them. So I used the Thingiverse files which printed well.

Nice work !!!

I also found the files on thingverse for making an endo arm.
I really like to have one.

However I don't have a 3D printer (yet).

Can you tell me the total costs ( of the material used for printing ) ?

Thanks in advance.

I bought a Hatchbox printer for around $1K from Amazon. A spool of filament is around $30. one is enough for the arm.

This arm is as far as I got. Nt 3d Modeling skills stopped this project in its tracks, and the modeling companies that have been contacted fell short. good luck.

I bought a Hatchbox printer for around $1K from Amazon. A spool of filament is around $30. one is enough for the arm.

This arm is as far as I got. Nt 3d Modeling skills stopped this project in its tracks, and the modeling companies that have been contacted fell short. good luck.

Thanks for the info.

Looks like it's gonna be a cheap endo arm :p (aside from buying the printer offcourse)

Is it easy to paint ?

The material holds paint well, but as you see it has a rough texture from the printing. If you want to have a paint job on your model, expect to spend lots of time primer/filler/sanding.

I would love to hear from people with some 3D modeling skills. Once a model is created, then can you imagine the number of Endos that could be walking around?

What size does your printer need to have to be able to print all parts ?
Am I correct that you don't need to print the tubes ?
(otherwise you would have to have a very large printer for that)
And did you/are you going to make it functional with the wires and springs ?

Found this eBay pic of a life size endo kit. I think it was in Australia.

Endo 3.JPG

After printing these parts, each one has to be sanded pretty smooth for the chrome to have a mirror finish. Then every part has to be individually drilled for the various sized screws and aluminum rods that connect it all together.

Cost of printer?
Cost to have those parts chromed?
Cost of filament material?
Your labor / time?

What would you sell the finished piece for if you had to? 2000, 4000?

t800.jpgt2_1.jpg

Hopefully more affordable printers with much higher quality output (faster too) will be available soon so the parts don't need so much prep before the chrome.

You know, sanding isn't the only method to smooth a 3d print.

Acetone vapor polish: (abs only)
Acetoneowl.jpg

XTC-3d: (smooth-on product)
yoda-pla-3d-print-xtc-3d.jpg

There is a loss of detail, but the larger the print, the less that matters.

There would be a lot of finish work for a printed Endo. The printed texture needs to be sanded and primered to a smooth finish. That is a lot of work, but no different than if you had bought a resin kit. Those resin kits require a lot of finishing on their own.

The difference is that I don't want it chromed. I have never really liked the chromed look. I would be happier if it were a metallic grey with some deep weathering.

I just want to know why this is such an impossible task? Why can't a modeler model a skeleton?

There would be a lot of finish work for a printed Endo. The printed texture needs to be sanded and primered to a smooth finish. That is a lot of work, but no different than if you had bought a resin kit. Those resin kits require a lot of finishing on their own.

The difference is that I don't want it chromed. I have never really liked the chromed look. I would be happier if it were a metallic grey with some deep weathering.

I just want to know why this is such an impossible task? Why can't a modeler model a skeleton?

A lot of that would depend on what you print in, the thickness of the extrusion, and the amount of fill.

I don't own a printer yet, but a friend of just mine (not a member here yet) just bought one and he also is a master in CAD. I know he could draw all the parts if such a project was of interest to him. The parts he has printed so far look and feel no different from a machined part. Hardly any clean up required. He seems to like PLA.

I know that if someone did (and the cost for the files was affordable) there would be quite a few people that would snap it up! Same for the Dredd ABC Warrior. I suspect that for a (professional) 3D modeler, it's really not worth doing: the models are complicated, and the artist would never get full compensation for their time. It will need to be a "labor of love" on the part of an experienced 3D modeler, then some honesty (as in "buy" not "steal") from the users.

Subscribed!

Last edited:
I googled and came up with 3DS max from Autodesk. Is that the same? The description reads: 3D modeling, animation, and rendering software for games and design visualization.

It's a professional level program, I've used it for years since high school (DOS based lol), and found that for modelling in 3D for printing, it has yet to let me down. Also way easier to learn than Blender.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back