1/700 & 1/350 scale BH Cygnus builds

Started painting the 3d printed parts today. Vallejo "UK Bronze" primer.It looks quite good when applied. Once the brass paint is dry-brushed on, it will look even better. cyg paint1.jpgcyg paint3.jpgcyg paint2.jpg

Lots more painting done over the past couple of days. Theses are just a few samples of how they all turned out. Just one more 3d printed piece to paint before I start assembly. My cat decided it would be a good idea to sleep on the rear antenna mount, crushing it beyond repair.....

11 may 01.jpg11 may 02.jpg11 may 03.jpg11 may 04.jpg

If only I could post my pictures the right way around....

Ok. My replacement parts, from shapeways, arrived this morning. As I'm back to work tomorrow, painting them will have to wait.
However, I did make a little progress over the past two days....

18 May 01.jpg18 May 06.jpg18 May05.jpg18 May 03.jpg18 May 02.jpg18 May05.jpg18 May 04.jpg

I hope you like.
Next week I'm working on the stern.

Attachments

• 18 May 07.jpg
    18 May 07.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 174
beautiful paint job,you mention the vallejo uk bronze primer is applied followed by a brass paint you dry brush on.
this effect looks really great,could you please let us know what the brass paint is?
thanks,
rod

Glad you like it. The top coat is Vallejo Brass 70801. So far I've used a full 60ml bottle of the bronze primer and a very small amount of the brass. Superglue, on the other hand.....

Hi All,

I just thought you might like to know that I made all the missing parts as well as a lot of upgraded parts for FUD rather than WSF for Primitive Dave's Cygnus along with the Probe Ship and Palomino. As these are made purely for FUD the walls are right down to 0.3mm as opposed to the 0.7mm they need to be for WSF and I put a lot of research into these parts and are as screen-accurate as possible and are a level above Dave's.

http://s103.photobucket.com/user/marcnoonan/library/The Black Hole?sort=4&page=1
The upgraded parts I've made are:

IF THE SHAPEWAYS LINKS DON'T WORK DIRECTLY, PLEASE COPY & PASTE THE LINK ADRESS INTO YOUR ADRESS BAR. Seems the vigilink thing screws it up and shortens the links.

The front ventral and dorsal observation domes antennae.

www.shapeways.com/model/3dtools/4299965/0/61?key=317970304a428ca6ee3d536b8188b21b

You can have these with the spires, or drilled, without the spires so you can use 1mm brass rods instead.

www.shapeways.com/model/3dtools/4649644/0/61?key=539cdd38161b7bc8880825343adbf2e6 (the docking bridge is on there too)

The 6 large bell antennae where there are 3 both on the dorsal and ventral surfaces, 2 at the back and one in the centre of the ship. Again with or drilled/without the spires
There are also two versions of them which were seen on-screen from the 2 different film models.

www.shapeways.com/model/3dtools/4304616/0/61?key=34c5d9dfc8488e98559092c7473fd2ae

www.shapeways.com/model/3dtools/4302862/0/61?key=700d87f977f24bc6b9f72bbb055b549e

The Main Antennae from the bridge tower (obs dome one's are on there too)

www.shapeways.com/model/3dtools/4303749/0/61?key=f53e7d5a70f88f2fc8b21fee632d37e4

And the 6 ventral small domes which can be printed in one part or with the frame/dome separate for easy painting.

www.shapeways.com/model/3dtools/4153416/0/6?key=009fd2349dc5efda91bf08428f2c8437

And the Probe Ship and Palomino. The Pal is hollowed and can be printed whole, or with the side antennae separate and the Probe ship can be printed with the side antennae extended (flight) or retracted (landed).

www.shapeways.com/model/3dtools/4649909/1/61?key=0a7daa39822d0de26cf1d7cfd094b0b5

www.shapeways.com/model/3dtools/3841929/0/114?key=e4ade89ba1e98014b6748f4bd0c6ba28

The FUD print price for all those parts is roughly $50.

I also re-drew the CAD drawings for the front light box and have a silhouette base for the Cygnus available as well as split versions of the tank module to ease painting.

If you'd like to contact me directly my email is marcnoonan@hotmail.com.

Cheers

Marc

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks like there's something wrong with those links you've posted. I just get a warning saying they can't find the pages...

Cheers

All the parts files are available direct from myself....just send me a pm or email please. They were commissioned parts and made exclusively to fit Daves 1/700 Cgnus so all the baskets etc were made with 0.3mm thick parts. I would need to know the scale of the MPC/AMT kit and then add a 50 micron shell around the parts (once rescaled) to ensure they'd print.

All the parts files are available direct from myself....just send me a pm or email please. They were commissioned parts and made exclusively to fit Daves 1/700 Cgnus so all the baskets etc were made with 0.3mm thick parts. I would need to know the scale of the MPC/AMT kit and then add a 50 micron shell around the parts (once rescaled) to ensure they'd print.

According to the Internets, the MPC kit is 1/4225 scale. Would that make them too small to print?

Well the Cygnus was meant to be 716.98m by all accounts,(please correct me if I'm wrong). which would make your model 17cm? It's doable but the parts such as the bell antennae would end up pretty solid and massively over-thickened in proportion. I'd need to alter each piece a part at a time which could work out expensive too.

Well the Cygnus was meant to be 716.98m by all accounts,(please correct me if I'm wrong). which would make your model 17cm?

Whoa. No, not 17cm. I just measured the model and it's 26 1/2 inches on my cheap yardstick, so 67cm long. The antenna baskets themselves would be roughly 1cm tall, I think (not including the antenna pole).

Last edited:
Whoa. No, not 17cm. I just measured the model and it's 26 1/2 inches on my cheap yardstick, so 67cm long. The antenna baskets themselves would be roughly 1cm tall, I think (not including the antenna pole).

Cool, my first guess was right then. Yours is roughly 1/1070, which is a reduction in size of 66%, bringing all the parts to 0.2mm thickness and thus adding a 50 micron shell would bring them all back to the 0.3mm required to print. So yes, very do-able. I'll send you a pm tomorrow.

Marc

I've had a box made up, for the front armature part, but until the painting is done it looks as though everything is on hold.
Both primer and colour should arrive next week....

So, is your clear armature complete and test fitted? I have all the parts for this kit when it was first released minus the small antenna but was never able to find the entire clear armature templates. I think someone else made a front clear box but it did not work with the original armature as I think there was a gap or something not accounted for.

If there is now a complete armature template, can someone please provide a link? THANKS!!!

So, is your clear armature complete and test fitted? I have all the parts for this kit when it was first released minus the small antenna but was never able to find the entire clear armature templates. I think someone else made a front clear box but it did not work with the original armature as I think there was a gap or something not accounted for.

If there is now a complete armature template, can someone please provide a link? THANKS!!!

Hi psimon,

I was commissioned to redraw the CAD for the front light box as well as the upgraded parts and it's available from myself. I've sent you a pm. It was test fitted to the 3D model and works perfectly.

Cygnus Parts Finished 3.jpgCygnus Parts Overlay 5.jpgCygnus Parts Overlay.jpg

Cheers

Marc

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back