Blade Runner 2049

Who's going to start working on the license plate??? :D

IMG_0527.jpg

It looks disappointing.
It looks no different than any other modern sci-fi movie which has a lot of great visuals, some of which happens to be taken from Blade Runner. It's Ghost in the Shell meets A.I.

Already there's cringe-worthy dialogue and cliché shots.
"There is an order to things."
He slowly touches her face.
"What do you want?" "Answers." (Well, he says "I want to ask you some questions" but it's the same trope.)
"You were followed" (i.e. "They know you're here.")
"You're special."

It evokes the BR only with musical leitmotif, props and setting but doesn't have the lyrical depth of BR. It's paced like any other sci-fi thriller. This is going to be like Minority Report - a B+ movie which is ultimately forgettable.

Last edited:
It looks disappointing.
It looks no different than any other modern sci-fi movie which has a lot of great visuals, some of which happens to be taken from Blade Runner. It's Ghost in the Shell meets A.I.

Already there's cringe-worthy dialogue and cliché shots.
"There is an order to things."
He slowly touches her face.
"What do you want?" "Answers." (Well, he says "I want to ask you some questions" but it's the same trope.)
"You were followed" (i.e. "They know you're here.")
"You're special."

It evokes the BR only with musical leitmotif, props and setting but doesn't have the lyrical depth of BR. It's paced like any other sci-fi thriller. This is going to be like Minority Report - a B+ movie which is ultimately forgettable.

I think this is a high likelihood, especially that B+ that will not endure.
I suspect many will come away feeling they saw something given the FX, performances that I'm certain
will be quite good and cinematography will of course be top notch with Scott's attention to making things
look amazing, and the discussions of the film's depth will last about two weeks, not 35+ years.
I guess this is the view of the old, jaded and purist? BUT BUT this is BLADE RUNNER we are talking about! ;) LOL
The freekin' Casablanca of Sci Fi.... THE Masterpiece!

The atmosphere and style of the first film launched an avalanche of copy cats for decades to come as well.

I bet if you had a buck for every time someone making films suggested "like Blade Runner" you would be quite wealthy. LOL

What can possibly happen here? Sort of a strange place to be, make it look like what everyone has been trying to make
things look like since 82? But different enough to be it's own animal?

...and of course well updated for the modern audience demographic.

Will there be pay vidphones and CRTs? Now I'm babbling.

I think this is a high likelihood, especially that B+ that will not endure.
I suspect many will come away feeling they saw something given the FX, performances that I'm certain
will be quite good and cinematography will of course be top notch with Scott's attention to making things
look amazing, and the discussions of the film's depth will last about two weeks, not 35+ years.
I guess this is the view of the old, jaded and purist? BUT BUT this is BLADE RUNNER we are talking about! ;) LOL
The freekin' Casablanca of Sci Fi.... THE Masterpiece!

The atmosphere and style of the first film launched an avalanche of copy cats for decades to come as well.

I bet if you had a buck for every time someone making films suggested "like Blade Runner" you would be quite wealthy. LOL

What can possibly happen here? Sort of a strange place to be, make it look like what everyone has been trying to make
things look like since 82? But different enough to be it's own animal?

...and of course well updated for the modern audience demographic.

Will there be pay vidphones and CRTs? Now I'm babbling.

The main character of Blade Runner is the oppressive environment. Period. The breadth of Ridley's literal vision in every frame of Blade Runner is what makes the core statement.
Blade Runner 2049 seems to forget about this and I get the sense that, like most films today, will wear its themes on it's sleeve and become weary in its explicit preachiness.
I fear Ridley Scott doesn't appreciate his classic the way we do. Frankly the question of whether or not Deckard is a replicant isn't central to my appreciation of the film. We don't need to see the story of how Tyrell will be toppled. We don't need to follow the footsteps of a renegade Blade Runner looking for answers. We don't need another modern action film with quick cut action sequences.
I want a character study where the character is future LA.

Last edited:
The main character of Blade Runner is the oppressive environment. Period. The breadth of Ridley's literal vision in every frame of Blade Runner is what makes the core statement.
Blade Runner 2049 seems to forget about this and I get the sense that, like most films today, will wear its themes on it's sleeve and become weary in its explicit peachiness.
I fear Ridley Scott doesn't appreciate his classic the way we do. Frankly the question of whether or not Deckard is a replicant isn't central to my appreciation of the film. We don't need to see the story of how Tyrell will be toppled. We don't need to follow the footsteps of a renegade Blade Runner looking for answers. We don't need another modern action film with quick cut action sequences.
I want a character study where the character is future LA.

I'm not expecting the heights of what you are asking for - but remember for a second that this is Denis Villeneuve. He doesn't do quick action cut scenes for cheap thrills. After seeing the trailer I'm in - it wasn't generic in my eyes, but also, you have to account for 1982 to 2017....that is a LOT of Zeitgeist to cut through to bring something truly fresh to the table. That will inform all of our sensibilities and therefore our feelings on this.

I'm hoping this is just a case of they had to cut together an action oriented exciting trailer, but its actually quite different than the film itself.

I'm not expecting the heights of what you are asking for - but remember for a second that this is Denis Villeneuve. He doesn't do quick action cut scenes for cheap thrills. After seeing the trailer I'm in - it wasn't generic in my eyes, but also, you have to account for 1982 to 2017....that is a LOT of Zeitgeist to cut through to bring something truly fresh to the table. That will inform all of our sensibilities and therefore our feelings on this.
If this film is as weak as it looks I feel it would have less to do with the director than the writing and dialogue. Ridley Scott, who claims to have a heavy hand in this, would have to share some of the blame.

As trailers go, this one looks gorgeous and is well shot. The music is a haunting allusion to the original. Yet, it seems conventional in every way and suggests a very conventional film. As I said before, I expect a B+ film. Minority Report was another B+ film that I enjoyed very much but gave me nothing to take home to reconsider and little reason to rewatch once much less repeatedly.

Here's hoping I'm wrong - but the awful dialogue already starts to betray its faults.

Something that bothers me about the look of the latest trailer is that characters are in center frame of every single shot. In Blade Runner 1982 some of the most memorable shots had the characters displaced off-center frame sometimes allowing for the set to dominate. This rooted characters to the environment and had the cumulative effect of conveying a sense of oppression as well as adding to the visual scale of the sets. Even the opening shot of Holden's interview with Leon had both characters pressed to the periphery of the frame by a giant table. When Deckard shoots at Zhora or sits at the noodle bar he's on the far left of the frame. Roy Batty holding the dove, Rachel playing the piano - all far left in frame.

I could be wrong but the trailer of BR 2049 feels more visually conventional.

If this film is as weak as it looks I feel it would have less to do with the director than the writing and dialogue. Ridley Scott, who claims to have a heavy hand in this, would have to share some of the blame.

As trailers go, this one looks gorgeous and is well shot. The music is a haunting allusion to the original. Yet, it seems conventional in every way and suggests a very conventional film. As I said before, I expect a B+ film. Minority Report was another B+ film that I enjoyed very much but gave me nothing to take home to reconsider and little reason to rewatch once much less repeatedly.

Here's hoping I'm wrong - but the awful dialogue already starts to betray its faults.

Something that bothers me about the look of the latest trailer is that characters are in center frame of every single shot. In Blade Runner 1982 some of the most memorable shots had the characters displaced off-center frame sometimes allowing for the set to dominate. This rooted characters to the environment and had the cumulative effect of conveying a sense of oppression. Even the opening two shot of Holden's interview with Leon had both characters pressed to the periphery of the shot by a giant table. When Deckard shoots at Zhora or sits at the noodle bar he's on the far left of the frame. Roy Batty holding the dove, Rachel playing the piano - all far left in frame.

I could be wrong but the trailer of BR 2049 feels more visually conventional.

Can't disagree in terms of feeling a little conventional. But it may also be that Blade Runner, whilst a very well known cult classic, probably doesn't have the reach that the money makers would like. Advertising it as slightly more conventional may be part of that (horrible, but it is a business as we all know)

I will also concede that the dialogue so far doesn't feel particularly evocative etc. But then not that many trailers concentrate on dialogue as a main selling point (for "tent pole" films, anyhow).

Will you be checking it out at cinemas? I feel like the visuals/scale alone means I have to.

And beyond that, I'm riding high on the coat tails of Arrival - I think I'd go to see a CCTV capture if it was directed by Mr Villeneuve, at the moment.

Can't disagree in terms of feeling a little conventional. But it may also be that Blade Runner, whilst a very well known cult classic, probably doesn't have the reach that the money makers would like. Advertising it as slightly more conventional may be part of that (horrible, but it is a business as we all know)

I will also concede that the dialogue so far doesn't feel particularly evocative etc. But then not that many trailers concentrate on dialogue as a main selling point (for "tent pole" films, anyhow).

Will you be checking it out at cinemas? I feel like the visuals/scale alone means I have to.

And beyond that, I'm riding high on the coat tails of Arrival - I think I'd go to see a CCTV capture if it was directed by Mr Villeneuve, at the moment.
I'm on the fence about seeing it in the theaters. As critical as I am of the trailer I'm hoping against hope this could be a credible extension of BR.

With kids I have few windows to go to the movies so I have to be selective about what I watch.

I'm in the minority but I thought Arrival was overrated.

Well like everything BR, it's complicated. I for sure will have to heavily rely on reviews of those that have obsessed as long as I.

I'm going to go hug a stuffed owl and rock back and forth a while in the mean time.

br44.jpgbr45.jpgbr46.jpg

I guess one of the first things that they all agreed on early days that could be expanded on today is scale. The brief looks of the Tyrell Building are astounding and flow from the original. I cant tell if they redid the place post Eldon or we are just looking at different parts of the original.

On a serious note, Harrison Ford's "your grandpa cleaning out his garage on Sunday look", complete with the t-shirt from the Hanes Collection, is throwing me from seeing him as Rick Deckard in the trailer.

I also note some "Battlestar Galactica" sounding dialogue (statements regarding civilizations being built upon disposable people, etc.)...

Of course, this is all pointless speculation...

As we all know, judging how good a movie is going to be, or basing what it will about--based solely on a trailer--is pure folly:

Find the plot points about trade disputes, peace treaties, space angels, midichlorians, or "pee-you sah!" in the following trailer:

https://youtu.be/bD7bpG-zDJQ

The horror....the horror

Last edited:
This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back