Star Wars: The Last Jedi (Pre-release)

Plenty of people who liked the film could also agree it had Ep IV nostalgia. Most people can also admit this was done on purpose to show the fans that the new owners understood how to make a Star Wars movie feel like Star Wars. They also did a good job introducing the new chars in the movie.

Now if VIII follows as close to EP V I'll have an issue :)

Admit? Every person making the film from KK and JJ on down acknowledged they did that intentionally!

I read it. Seems like the author still has a lot of growing up to do at 34. :thumbsdown

it's obviously a joke, but these days, one can never be sure. there are actually people who seriously rant like that. i can be considered one of them on some things. we all can at times ;o)

For a no budget movie, it did fine. But, that box office take STILL means that nobody saw it. 27 million US is nothing. Relative to its budget, yes. It did well. I've still yet to meet anyone whose seen it. They just know it was part of some Oscar confusion, if that. If a tree falls in the forest...
I don't even know how this is a debate or questionable. You stated the movie was a failure. It wasn't. You can try to demerit it's accomplishments anyway and all you'd like - that still doesn't make the film a failure by any stretch of the imagination.

I haven't seen the film (yet), either. There are plenty of successful and/or highly lauded films that I haven't seen or have any interest in seeing - that doesn't mean they're failures. I haven't see any Fast & Furious movie - I have no interest in seeing them, their success baffles me based on what I know of them. Birdman won Best Picture in 2015... I saw that and still can't understand how it even got nominated; Birdman also 'only' made $40 million domestically and had significant budget, real 'movie stars' and a director that was much more known.

I'm sure someone can up with some formula comparing budget, the known commodities of the filmmakers (writers/actors/directors/etc) and how much money each film has made to come up with something a little more fairly (Last year's winner Spotlight with its $20 million budget and its cast of known actors, grossed $90 million domestically... is that a failure because Mark Ruffalo was part of a film that made a billion? Not in the real world.

Do any of you guys discuss upcoming spoilers or your concerns/praise of the films with people in person?

When TFA came out, one of my closest friends joined the Star Wars bandwagon, and began purchasing merchandise and comic books related to the series. He and I watched ANH and ESB together so I could explain things to him, but I don't believe he has ever seen the prequels or ROTJ. He began watching Rebels this year, and doesn't quite understand the Clone Wars or how they fit into things (without any context I could see the confusion).

However, he really enjoyed TFA as a film. He is the kind of person who enjoys every single thing he encounters, and never has a critical opinion about any form of media. Just as Star Wars can apparently do no wrong, his beloved Marvel films are always flawless. Following TFA's release I was critical of the movie, as I didn't enjoy it at all. It's one of my least favorite films (generally speaking). I was cognitive to not be overly critical, as there were some "cool" factors, but it just wasn't a film I enjoyed. My friend had the opposite opinion, where the film was 100% perfect. Following a casual conversation about the pros and cons of TFA in late December of that year he didn't talk to me for 3 months.

What started that disconnect was our initial conversation, and then that evening I collected my thoughts, read the TFA thread here, and posted my opinion of the film (acknowledging the positives as well, and how it would be a good film for new fans) on Facebook. Both he and his wife ripped me a new on social media and effectively stopped being my friends. I had several people even comment on how he had become overly upset about differing opinions on TFA, and apparently he stopped talking to other people who disliked the film as well.

Have any of you had similar experiences with friends?

I ask, because I sent him the link to TLJ's trailer the moment it was released, and he did not want to talk about it. Apparently Star Wars is still a sore topic for him. I just find it odd he is so connected to something he had liked for two weeks (while I had been a fan for 20+ years).

Do any of you guys discuss upcoming spoilers or your concerns/praise of the films with people in person?

When TFA came out, one of my closest friends joined the Star Wars bandwagon, and began purchasing merchandise and comic books related to the series. He and I watched ANH and ESB together so I could explain things to him, but I don't believe he has ever seen the prequels or ROTJ. He began watching Rebels this year, and doesn't quite understand the Clone Wars or how they fit into things (without any context I could see the confusion).

However, he really enjoyed TFA as a film. He is the kind of person who enjoys every single thing he encounters, and never has a critical opinion about any form of media. Just as Star Wars can apparently do no wrong, his beloved Marvel films are always flawless. Following TFA's release I was critical of the movie, as I didn't enjoy it at all. It's one of my least favorite films (generally speaking). I was cognitive to not be overly critical, as there were some "cool" factors, but it just wasn't a film I enjoyed. My friend had the opposite opinion, where the film was 100% perfect. Following a casual conversation about the pros and cons of TFA in late December of that year he didn't talk to me for 3 months.

What started that disconnect was our initial conversation, and then that evening I collected my thoughts, read the TFA thread here, and posted my opinion of the film (acknowledging the positives as well, and how it would be a good film for new fans) on Facebook. Both he and his wife ripped me a new on social media and effectively stopped being my friends. I had several people even comment on how he had become overly upset about differing opinions on TFA, and apparently he stopped talking to other people who disliked the film as well.

Have any of you had similar experiences with friends?

I ask, because I sent him the link to TLJ's trailer the moment it was released, and he did not want to talk about it. Apparently Star Wars is still a sore topic for him. I just find it odd he is so connected to something he had liked for two weeks (while I had been a fan for 20+ years).

I think in general you need new "friends".

I don't disagree with that assessment in the slightest, LOL. I have been close with this guy for about 7 years now; however, he has proven to be unreliable and irresponsible time and time again. Our 3 month "break" was one of those times which I didn't really miss out on anything.

Following the last Avenger's movie release, I said the film was just okay. He cancelled our plans for the next two weeks, and actually took me and my (at the time) girl friend home almost immediately. No one spoke in the car for that ride at all, and it was VERY weird.

Have any of you had similar experiences with friends? .

you've been reading the last few pages right? :)

I can't tell you the amount of crazy reactions i've seen in the last year alone just from trying to talk feigbusters with people. I've seen people go from totally normal, to total 180 crazy in reactions just from a few posts and it's amazing at the transformation. I almost got that way myself after trying to get whiplash figuring out people's emotions and how they would react to certain things. and eventually i stopped trying to talk about it and just had fun trashing it cause people where going to get upset no matter what you did.

Eventually, I also just said, I'm not censoring myself for me or anyone else, and if they get upset, they get upset... If you have to cut contact for your own sanity, so much the better. And I've had to do that twice in the last year elsewhere because they just kept on increasingly getting nonsensical in their movie defense responses. usually people connected with the franchise (understandable) or someone who works in or wants to work in hollywood. i never try to get confrontational, or say anything that will intentionally upset people, i just try to speak my mind. sometimes even when i shouldn't. but even just saying basic things gets peoples pants in a wad these days and that's why i have at least 10 people on this forum on ignore alone to try and keep the peace and what's left of my sanity ;o). it's not healthy engaging sometimes :).

but it's nice to have people around who get you and that one sometimes has a sarcastic sense of humor to boot that sometimes gets one in trouble, and that still keeps the forums fun for me... with a bit of a break sometimes :).

It took me about half a year before i could even look at anything ghostusters again. i've still got post traumatic stress ;o).

I'm a little late to the conversation about the spoiler... I don't know if I should tag this though? I'm going to anyway. but below is my explanation for the spoiler

with Vader's costume and saber changing from film to film, i always thought each star destroyer, death star, and now even his castle has a different suit there waiting for him. could you imagine being stuck in that sucker for days/weeks at end. once you get to your room in the death star the first thing you want to do is jump into the pressure chamber and take off that smelly dirty space suit. I always imagined vader had a new fresh suit there waiting for him incase there was an emergency and needed to remove himself of the pressure chamber, while his other suit was in the dry cleaner

why couldn't this theory work the same with the sabers? we see the massive super star destroyer is beached on jakku. who's to say vader didnt have his own room on that destroyer as well, with a extra suit and saber there? and luke searching for temples stumbled upon jakku and could feel the kyber crystal calling to him?

just something i make up in my head to help with continuity issues.

i have a easier time believing the graflex showing back up, rather then the other one....

There were multiple SSDs. Only one was Vader's: The Executor. It was lost at the Battle of Endor.

There's friends of mine that I hope we never talk about the Ghostbusters reboot.

And I have one friend who is super passionate about need movies, but he would never criticize them because, "they are what they are...Fun"

Screw that.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

The Ghostbusters reboot didn't fail because it was necessarily bad... it failed because a huge chunk of folks used social media to condemn and mostly before it was even released. It was doomed from the start - because fanboys got their panties in a bunch. It might've been the best film of the year, but it was too late - it did get solid reviews from the reviewers. Alas, I didn't see the film - but, I also don't have this passion so many have for the original(s) - sure, they're fun... but, I suppose I'd be just as ticked if they rebooted Star Wars (wait, what...?).*

What it did was successfully kill Ghostbusters - we won't be seeing Murray, Ackroyd and the gang anytime soon (if at all) in their coveralls and proton packs. But, there was never any promise or hint we would've anyhow.

*All joking aside - I do wonder how some of the reaction to the Han Solo movie will affect it (if at all).

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back