Star Wars: The Last Jedi (Pre-release)

Resistance speeders on Crait.

Attachments

• IMG_4692.JPG
    IMG_4692.JPG
    115.2 KB · Views: 93
Those ABC interviews were really good. Mark mentions he thought his last min. reveal in TFA would fall flat and admits he was never so happy to be so wrong. That's consistent with all of his orevious comments on TFA, he was skeptical but once he saw the film realized what a powerful moment it was. I think it's exciting that he felt challenged by Rian'schoices for his character, at least initially. Again, I think this film is going to challenge not only the actors but the audience as well.
And to be fair and crediting Hamill, the guy's entire life post teenage years has been Luke Skywalker. He has heard more from every fan who has ever met him than any director or producer. I think Hamill bases a lot of his thought process on how people would want to see him as well as mixing those of his own personal feelings on what he feels about Luke. He's the embodiment of Luke Skywalker and he probably has many inner conversations trying to make sense of a non-existent 30 years coming back in trying to understand just what he was up to for that long.

A serious actor can spend a very very long time researching and trying to feel and understand a role beyond just reading lines, collecting a check and calling it a day.

I think Mark is passionate about Luke and has a tremendous responsibility he feels, hence one of his comments at CO saying to Rian Johnson that he was terrified walking into this very prominent role in the franchise again. I can't imagine what that must feel like and have a great respect for him in how invested he's been in coming back after all these years.

I applaud that he questions things and has these discussions with the Director. He's just like Luke..... "I care..." :)

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

any interview links?

mark hamil is USUALLY a very positive person. it doesn't sound like him that he would diss a movie he's currently working on.

Maybe he said that about episode 7 though.

At celebration, didn't he say he was unsure of 8, then Rian came to his house, talked to him about it and he was totally on board with everything?

Nah I think Luke just realized the Jedi as they were the last few centuries or so were basically just pompous butt ramblers who were more worried about there own internal political dealings than actually doing any real good in the universe . that some of there rules like detachment of feelings are complete B.S. and work against the light rather than for it. Probably found some pre Jedi lessons at the temple and realised the Jedi had corrupted the teaching to suit there own needs . you know like every organized religion ever !

Also training and galaxy saving is HARD and he still has to swing by toshy station to get those dang power converter's !!!

I think the most interesting thing said was by Daisy when asked if she could reveal anything at all about Rey. She replied with something along the lines of.. "Well, you know the saying. Don't meet your heros." in reference I assume to Luke.
Maybe he has indeed gone a little off the deep end in his self imposed banishment.

I'm surprised that I haven't seen a post calling that out as of yet, or perhaps I missed it in the post trailer flood.

(The exact quote for reference, just pulled it up.)
"What I can say is, in The Last Jedi, we go deeper into Rey’s story. And what is very apparent from where we left off in The Force Awakens and where we begin with The Last Jedi is, Rey has a certain expectation as to what she might be getting from Luke and what that might entail.
'And as a lot of people know, it’s difficult when you meet your heroes because it might not be what you expect."

Last edited by a moderator:
I think the most interesting thing said was by Daisy when asked if she could reveal anything at all about Rey. She replied with something along the lines of.. "Well, you know the saying. Don't meet your heros." in reference I assume to Luke.
Maybe he has indeed gone a little off the deep end in his self imposed banishment.

I'm surprised that I haven't seen a post calling that out as of yet, or perhaps I missed it in the post trailer flood.

i quoted it a few pages back while watching the live stream. So did @JD, so yes, you missed it. :)

Nah I think Luke just realized the Jedi as they were the last few centuries or so were basically just pompous butt ramblers who were more worried about there own internal political dealings than actually doing any real good in the universe . that some of there rules like detachment of feelings are complete B.S. and work against the light rather than for it. Probably found some pre Jedi lessons at the temple and realised the Jedi had corrupted the teaching to suit there own needs . you know like every organized religion ever !

Also training and galaxy saving is HARD and he still has to swing by toshy station to get those dang power converter's !!!

Exactly. All this Luke hero worship is still predicated on the old EU. People need to let that go as well as the ending of ROTJ. Luke ignored Yoda and Ben's advice regarding his father. He did try and create a new Academy but I wouldn't be surprised to learn he did so reluctantly, feeling a sense of obligation to the Jedi Order rather then a real belief in their views as he embraced attachment to save the galaxy. When that went south with Kylo, he likely felt a huge amount of guilt. He disappears searching for the true meaning of the Jedi and in his absence his best friend is killed. So that guilt and loss is now compounded. Of course he's a mess.

You know what? As much as we want to geek out on the details of what Luke would be doing, we have to look at the broader cinematic impact of all of this.

When I look at the cinematic importance of Luke's story in Star wars, it parallels only Dorothy Gale from the wizard of Oz.

Luke is as important to fantasy as sleeping beauty and Peter pan. And those are legends, a hundred(s) years old. This is not hyperbole.

When anyone talks about the hero's journey, Luke Skywalker is the finest example.

And because of that, Disney needs to tread VERY carefully. Frankly, I don't trust them to see the bigger picture. More than likely they see this as a franchise for geeks who like to spend money and the general public

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

You know what? As much as we want to geek out on the details of what Luke would be doing, we have to look at the broader cinematic impact of all of this.

When I look at the cinematic importance of Luke's story in Star wars, it parallels only Dorothy Gale from the wizard of Oz.

Luke is as important to fantasy as sleeping beauty and Peter pan. And those are legends, a hundred(s) years old. This is not hyperbole.

When anyone talks about the hero's journey, Luke Skywalker is the finest example.

And because of that, Disney needs to tread VERY carefully. Frankly, I don't trust them to see the bigger picture. More than likely they see this as a franchise for geeks who like to spend money and the general public

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

I understand and agree with your premise but disagree with your conclusion. Disney knows EXACTLY what they story value and importance of Luke Skywalkers role as a pop culture and in universe story. Let me pause remind people the folks that work at Disney and Lucasfilm are not dumb and not incumbered by the kind of corporate structure like Sony and Time Warner who are making a mess of their licenses. Luke having a complicated story is really interesting and I do trust them to extend his story into Ep. 9 and end be very emotional and thrilling.

what heroes?

she's only thought of him as legend and probably never gave him a moments passing thouht until han brought it up.

i agree with astro boy. just like many older properties before it, star wars is in the hands of people who see it as a simple cash grab opportunity.

they get one last chance to impress me with episode 8. otherwise, i wait for the dvd on 9. something i never thought i'd say...

what heroes?

she's only thought of him as legend and probably never gave him a moments passing thouht until han brought it up.

i agree with astro boy. just like many older properties before it, star wars is in the hands of people who see it as a simple cash grab opportunity.

they get one last chance to impress me with episode 8. otherwise, i wait for the dvd on 9. something i never thought i'd say...

Although he will never see this as I m blocked.....WRONG. Everyone is entitled to an opinion, but no one is entitled to thier own facts. It's really important to be informed about your opinion.

I don't think it's a cash grab at all. I just think they had a, so far, really uninspired story. I really do hope it gets better in TLJ though. If they do get rid of the Jedi, other than in the sense that they start over and not follow the old Jedi ways, I won't be watching the next movie.

I don't think it's a cash grab at all. I just think they had a, so far, really uninspired story. I really do hope it gets better in TLJ though. If they do get rid of the Jedi, other than in the sense that they start over and not follow the old Jedi ways, I won't be watching the next movie.

Jason...relax. :) Did it ever occur that Luke my feel that way but his experience with Rey changes his mind over the course of the film? If anyone here thinks Disney would give up on the concept of the Jedi is a fool, it's far too valuable and important.

I just hope the 4Chan leaks are completely wrong. They certainly appear to be garbage, but I can see the force tree thing possibly panning out.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back