Gold Leader 2017 kit alert (and instructions)

You just have to trim the resin a bit with a flat razor. The metal is a standard size and matches the pattern, but resin shrinks just a tiny bit. Just take a flat razor and give it a few even passes. I'll have a look at the parts later.

Hi Mike,
Yes, these are all my kit parts (LargeParts.jpg , SmallerParts.jpg, SmallParts.jpg)
I have one other issue. The metal sheet that supports the wings is about 1/16 - 1/8 too wide http://thedragonsden.ca/Y-Wing/toobig.jpg

Ok, metal is here but we are hitting a snag. Kid #2 is home sick today and we are looking at 1 to 2 feet of snow tomorrow, likely impacting Wed too (likely no school for the 2 days). So look for shipping to resume on Thursday. Sorry this one is out of my control.

Ok, metal is here but we are hitting a snag. Kid #2 is home sick today and we are looking at 1 to 2 feet of snow tomorrow, likely impacting Wed too (likely no school for the 2 days). So look for shipping to resume on Thursday. Sorry this one is out of my control.

Mike, I have sent you a PM.

I am not used to working with resin kits so I have a couple questions for the pros here:

1. What glue are you guys using to assemble this kit? I suspect Super Glue is good for many of the smaller parts but should I use 5 minute epoxy for the larger body parts?

2. Instruction say to prime the body to help look for imperfections in the seams. Can parts be glued directly to the primed surface or should they be scraped to the bare resin before gluing smaller parts?

-------------

I got a reply from Steve of Nice-N for those interested.

1. Main body and larger parts can be glued with epoxy. All other parts can be glued with CA/SuperGlue.

2. Primer should be removed in areas that are to be glued for best adhesion.

Last edited:
Ho Moffeaton,
Sorry I missed that in your instruction. Was looking for pics and did not read the text. <:)

Per your instructions:'I used the following catalog code tubes/wires: 90101, 90102, 90103, 90104, 90105. You also need Plastruct tube XXXXXX for the thruster assemblies.'

Questions
- Do I buy one set of each tube numbers you listed or will I need multiples of some (no quantity listed)?
- 'Plastruct tube XXXXXX' Is this an actual product number or a place holder for when you get the number?

Thanks!

Looks like you are not getting a answer either - What is the XXXXXX ??? I assume that is just general # for putting the part number in to search but I do not want to have to do 2 orders. I highlighted the confusing part of the instructions.

I just ordered the Y-wing and just noticed in the instructions I have to order some parts from Plastruct. Is this true ? and what does this mean ???You also need Plastruct tube XXXXXX for the thruster assemblies. Does this mean that some of the parts are the piping and I will have to bend it ?

In addition, you will need to purchase 8
1/4” ABS TEE from Plastruct, code number T-8. It is easiest to order two of their 4-packs, catalog code #90086.
You will also need to puchase butyrate coated wire and butyrate tubing from Plastruct as well. I used the following catalog code tubes/wires: 90101,
90102, 90103, 90104, 90105. You also need Plastruct tube XXXXXX for the thruster assemblies. I also replaced the torpedo tubes and laser cannons with
brass tubing - that is optional, and crazy.

Last edited by a moderator:
when working with resin I glue just about everything on then prime it. From looking at most y-wing builds, most are doing the same thing. I only use super glue but I test a small part first to make sure. Start putting up pictures as you build. I would love to know what shade of gray people will use. I guess its a preference but my last few have been lite aircraft gray or AS20.

Sorry - I am deep in a paint master and have a deadline that's kept me busy.

Measure the OD of an Aavid Heatsink, then find the ID of the nearest Plastruct tube that matches. That's your tube. I haven't had time to re-measure and figure it out again, since the build. Sorry gang.

I know some one here can do this! I believe in you!

My two cents on gluing resin parts... yes, epoxy is best for larger parts. I don't care much for the clear Devcon 5 minute epoxies and prefer to use JB Weld Kwik. It's more expensive, but you don't need much anyway and it bonds like mad to metal!

If you've used a really good lacquer based primer that's got a good bond to the surface then I'd just superglue smaller parts right down to it, no need to scratch it off. But you'll be fine if you prefer to remove the primer. It's your choice.

My two cents on gluing resin parts... yes, epoxy is best for larger parts. I don't care much for the clear Devcon 5 minute epoxies and prefer to use JB Weld Kwik. It's more expensive, but you don't need much anyway and it bonds like mad to metal!

If you've used a really good lacquer based primer that's got a good bond to the surface then I'd just superglue smaller parts right down to it, no need to scratch it off. But you'll be fine if you prefer to remove the primer. It's your choice.

Thanks for the advice Dave. I will try some tests to see what works best for me. Would be nice to prime the base before gluing on the small parts (and not having to scrape)

Received my kit. Thanks Mike!

However, I have a concern about the aluminum rod that shipped with my kit... the threaded hole is drilled off center, and the "milling" is terrible. I haven't seen an update to the instructions to determine if this will matter much.

Can you give me an idea of how that is incorporated?

One tube will do for a bunch of Y-Wings.

Off center might pose a problem, "terrible" milling how? It just needs to be "scooped out" to taper/clear the cockpit curves - so without seeing it I can't speak to it being a problem or not, but the milled part doesn't mate to anything, so I'm thinking you are okay?

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back