Shapeways for printing helmet cost

steveo

Sr Member
I'm interested in having a helmet printed from a 3d file and was wondering how much it might cost, if anyone has done this.

Not from Shapeways, but I've used 3dhubs quite a few times. Load your own files into the website and it'll tell you the cost from various printers.

Now that I actually own a 3D printer it's interesting to see what I was charged, compared to cost of filament, electricity, etc/

if you have the file on hand you can upload it to shapeways and it'll give you all the figures.

as a ballpark, though, you'd be looking at somewhere north of US$150 if it was just printed in their white, strong & flexible plastic. It all goes up from there.

Shapeways is great for detail work, but their pricing reflects that, and something the size of a helmet will run you into the hundreds of dollars, easily. 3DHubs is a bit more appropriate for sourcing prints on that scale.

I printed my Genji helmet with Shapeways. It's big, 3 main parts and and 6 or 7 smaller. It was very expensive. I can't tell you a total from memory because I printed it in several batches, but the most expensive part, the bucket itself, was around $600 alone. and yes, I did optimize my parts, hollowed out as much volume as possible, and yet the total was around a thousand bucks. I'm not saying I regret it because I'm very happy with the result, but If I had to do it again, I'd probably do as Sith Lord suggests, through 3dhubs, much cheaper, but it would be hard to find someone who can print such big parts in my area (I know, I can slice them in several parts, but the fewer seams, the better)

Thank you! I was looking for an estimated price. I guess that's not too bad, but when you add in the cost of the file, it's more than I'd be willing to pay.

if you have the file on hand you can upload it to shapeways and it'll give you all the figures.

as a ballpark, though, you'd be looking at somewhere north of US$150 if it was just printed in their white, strong & flexible plastic. It all goes up from there.

- - - Updated - - -

Shapeways is great for detail work, but their pricing reflects that, and something the size of a helmet will run you into the hundreds of dollars, easily. 3DHubs is a bit more appropriate for sourcing prints on that scale.

Thanks for the alternate source. I will look them up.

I printed my Genji helmet with Shapeways. It's big, 3 main parts and and 6 or 7 smaller. It was very expensive. I can't tell you a total from memory because I printed it in several batches, but the most expensive part, the bucket itself, was around $600 alone. and yes, I did optimize my parts, hollowed out as much volume as possible, and yet the total was around a thousand bucks. I'm not saying I regret it because I'm very happy with the result, but If I had to do it again, I'd probably do as Sith Lord suggests, through 3dhubs, much cheaper, but it would be hard to find someone who can print such big parts in my area (I know, I can slice them in several parts, but the fewer seams, the better)

Thanks for your info. More expensive than I'm willing to pay. Thanks for the alternate source.

You could find a friend that has a 3D printer and see if they will print it for you.
I have a couple 3D printers at home and would be willing to help you out. I have been thinking about printing a helmet to see how well it comes out anyway.
Send me a PM and we can chat about the details of what you are looking to print and whether my printers can give you the quality you are looking for. I think it'd be a fun thing to try out.

Edit: Just to be clear for forum rules, I am not looking to sell anything/make a profit. Just interested in trying to print the helmet to see how it comes out.

Last edited:
I'd suggest keeping the conversation going on in this thread... I would be very interested in following along on the issues you two might deal with and how it comes out with the particular limits of equipment and budget etc...I am just starting a helmet build myself and 3d print is one idea I've been kicking around for pieces of it...

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back