The Expanse: Props & Found Parts

Re: The Expanse: Prop Weapons

The Rhino was also used in the 2012 Total Recall, with customized grips and an under-barrel add-on greeblie. You may be able to find a kit version of one of those, or buy a slightly damaged official resin one from eBay.

IIRC, a Mateba was used in Serenity, so if the airsoft isn't the right model for your needs, you may be able to find a resin casting by asking the Firefly fans.

I'll start taking caps from episodes 9 & 10 tonight.

-MJ

I looked for an airsoft version a while ago.
all I found was a VERY expensive metal airsoft....and it was only the 2 inch barrel version.
this is one revolver that really needs an airsoft version. :)

I picked up the airsoft version of Rhino with the 2 inch barrel a while ago. I collect some airsoft. It was expensive - but I got it about half the retail price. Not many were willing to drop $ 800 on it. There is a Total Recall resin prop version. I had looked at the REAL pistol that is about the same cost as the airsoft version. Millers Character looks like he is going to keep that one around for a while - like his signature weapon. There is rumor of another airsoft gas version in the works with the longer barrel. The snub nose airsoft is CNC aircraft aluminum - which is why it is so expensive.

I bet we see an affordable airsoft version appear soon. The Rhino is showing up here on the shelf in a couple of specialty gun shops. It has been used in some recent popular movies and now Expanse. Someone will get the idea to make it since there is no other competition.

I have not seen anyone cast it in the full barrel version, except for the modified Total Recall prop version. There seems to be no interest in the snub nose for a resin cast.

If i do get the real pistol - I have a few - it might just fall into some silicon because of Expanse. But that is not happening til I get the Helix and Martian pistol done.

The Rhino was also used in the 2012 Total Recall, with customized grips and an under-barrel add-on greeblie. You may be able to find a kit version of one of those, or buy a slightly damaged official resin one from eBay.

IIRC, a Mateba was used in Serenity, so if the airsoft isn't the right model for your needs, you may be able to find a resin casting by asking the Firefly fans.

I'll start taking caps from episodes 9 & 10 tonight.

-MJ

Love the GDN wep site - EVERYONE should check it out! GO HERE: https://gndn.wordpress.com/ LIKE = ALL

Screen caps are AWESOME - thanks for taking the time. Working on the details on the props. - Mike all your posts and the BLOG are dead spot on.

I downloaded all the books from amazon - order the hard copy set. I have to read it.

Keep up the Great Work !! Thanks from the Expanse universe.

Gordon

More construction progress - moving along:

Helix pistol top scope 3.jpgHelix pistol top scope 2.jpgHelix pistol top scope 1.jpgHelix pistol top scope 5.jpgHelix pistol top scope 4.jpg

How is looking? I have some more adjustments with the details. I have to cut out the bottom of the scope and put the ridging detail. build the mounting brackets. Sand smooth - paint barrels. Build the module that goes under the front muzzle. find all the right mini screws - and then cast all the parts.

THANK GOD you pointed that out now! Extend the middle and lowering the profile. Now sweat. Thanks Sean - good eye! I am getting tunnel vision and it is just guess work on some things. Input appreciated.

Your very welcome my friend. just trying to help.

I'm also working on the Star Helix pistol, using one of the cheap knock-offs as a base. Hopefully should have some pics up in the next few days.

I'm also going to have a shot at one of the phones. Not quite sure yet how to do the graphics, I'm going to try laser engraving on clear acylic with a mask, then overspray with colours.

Your very welcome my friend. just trying to help.

Bro - that is the help i need. Not working off blueprints - it is easy to misread. Added a half an inch in the middle. Glue is drying - have to putty and sand. It will seat perfectly and now the angles look right. I am going to cast the main scope - then dremel out the middle to to add the detail - finish the sculpting on the cast - putty and seal. Then the part will be ready. I still have to make the mounting brackets. I cut plexiglass rod for the barrel extension and a wooden dowel for the rod below the barrel. Then i have to find the hex screws and shape the rail cover forward of the trigger.

It is coming together. thank you.

No biggie man. iv'e learned the hard way working off of screen caps can be very irritating. even if you have almost every angle there is. the shapes and shadows can fool your perception of the part. still have one today from awhile back that i'm dissecting angle by angle. and still find stuff i've missed...

keep the progress shots coming man. doing a great job! :thumbsup

No biggie man. iv'e learned the hard way working off of screen caps can be very irritating. even if you have almost every angle there is. the shapes and shadows can fool your perception of the part. still have one today from awhile back that i'm dissecting angle by angle. and still find stuff i've missed...

keep the progress shots coming man. doing a great job! :thumbsup

Alright - ripped up - reworked and put back together. Still have a lot of finishing work but it seats properly on top. At the very end of the Advanced Glock there is is a open top to the barrel. I believe the gun sight has to stop just before that opening. Fixed it. Still have a long way to go til I am happy. Thanks again.
.IMG_1989.JPGIMG_1988.JPG

Anyone got any thoughts on the font used for the 40 X al5 25 xharacters?

Does anyone have a picture of the right side of the Helix pistol? the reason i ask is that if the mount is duplicated on the right side of the pistol - the round can't eject because the mount would cover the ejection port.

Help - anyone - THANKS !!

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back