Flashpoint (The Flash Movie)

Re: The Flash (Movie)

yep. DC is doomed to failure for not knowing their own characters.

every pic i see of ezra miller looks stoned, or surprised, even in the suit.

Definitely not liking the costume, too busy and armored looking. I don't mind a little armor say around the shoulders, elbows, and knees, maybe along the spine but that's it, he doesn't need a fully armored suit, all he needs is something to protect from falls and bumps. If he needs armor to protect himself from his enemies then he's obviously doing something wrong.

It's not to protect from blows, but from heat, as it's been said multiple time already. Still armour though, but at least it's not armour for the sake of it.
Mr Mold Maker : how do you know WW is a train wreck ? If anything it might be the only really good film out the bunch ! JL will be mildly enjoyable at best I expect, Flash will be lucky to start shooting within the decade, but WW really is the only one that doesn't have to my knowledge any of the burdens the others have, so the least likely to suck !

Last edited by a moderator:

I agree with teragon I think WW will be a good movie. I mean I loved CA TFA and it looks like I will get to see them do a reboot of it with WW. (In case Riceball couldn't tell I was being sarcastic)

It's not to protect from blows, but from heat, as it's been said multiple time already. Still armour though, but at least it's not armour for the sake of it.
@Mr Mold Maker : how do you know WW is a train wreck ? If anything it might be the only really good film out the bunch ! JL will be mildly enjoyable at best I expect, Flash will be lucky to start shooting within the decade, but WW really is the only one that doesn't have to my knowledge any of the burdens the others have, so the least likely to suck !

You don't need armor to protect you from heat, all they have to do is say that this suit is made from a material with a high heat resistance and helps to reduce friction as well, just use some slick looking material to help sell the notion, no armor needed.

I agree, and that's what's likely to happen, by the end of the film he'll have a sleeker suit more akin to the one they made for Affleck and Cavill, but the reasoning behind was that this Barry doesn't have money nor a Star Lab team behind him to outfit him, but he's fast and very smart. Thus he built something out of stolen NASA space shuttle heat shields (the armour plates) and other tidbits here and there, including 3D printed parts and tethers (the bungie cords you see on him) to focus the lightning on him and not spread out so much like we've seen in both the JL trailer and the short clip in BvS.
I'm no inventing any of this by the way, this was what Wilkinson, the costume designer said, either in a written interview, or it was explained to the press guys that were invited on set a while ago, I don't remember exactly, but it's the official history of how the suit was built in-universe. Now of course they could have gone with a completely different design, and find another history for it, would have worked just as well, but it's just to say that it's not random armour plates for the sake of it. And like I said, I seem to remember reading that he'll get an upgrade somewhere in the film, generously gifted by Wayne Tech.

So is that something comic Flash's suit does, or is all this lightning containment a DCCU thing only?

Well most incarnation of the Flash, comics, cartoons or TV shows, generate some lightning, but it's a DCEU thing, to my knowledge, to have said lightning be especially potent, and act like some sort of tesla coil, and is even blue, like real electricity arcs, instead of the typical yellow.
Hence the tethers. I personally like it, how the speedforce is a living, powerful thing that actually interacts with Barry and its surrounding, but once again it's a choice by Snyder and co that might not please everyone.
Although, frankly, I think it's kinda of a useless thing to nitpick, especially given WB's track records. We would be very lucky if that is the only problem of both JL and the Flash movie !

Well most incarnation of the Flash, comics, cartoons or TV shows, generate some lightning, but it's a DCEU thing, to my knowledge, to have said lightning be especially potent, and act like some sort of tesla coil, and is even blue, like real electricity arcs, instead of the typical yellow.
Hence the tethers. I personally like it, how the speedforce is a living, powerful thing that actually interacts with Barry and its surrounding, but once again it's a choice by Snyder and co that might not please everyone.
Although, frankly, I think it's kinda of a useless thing to nitpick, especially given WB's track records. We would be very lucky if that is the only problem of both JL and the Flash movie !

It's kind of interesting that his power is somewhat of a destructive force that needs to be controlled or everything around him will get busted up too.
I hope at some point they write it as him just not having enough control of the speed force and that as he learns more about his power he'll contain it on his own without the aid of a suit.

Vivek, i think you can rename this thread "Flashpoint", it's official now.
I'm excited and worried at the same time I must say ! Worried because technically it seems like Flashpoint would be a better story to tell after we've followed the Flash in a few adventures, so the flashpoint universe would have more impact, but Geoff wrote it, so he probably has a solution for that I assume.
And excited, well, it's freaking Flashpoint. And unlike the puny version from the TV, they can use all the characters needed, and even already have a lot of the actors cast. I mean Jeffrey Dean Morgan as Thomas Wayne ? Hell yeah ! Now I really want to know who will play Eobard. Because the CW version was actually good, wether it was Cavanagh or Letscher. But the right actor, with the fantastic VFX for the Speedforce we've seen in the JL trailers, it would be killer.

Holy cow FLASHPOINT! I wonder if casting Jeffrey Dean Morgan as Thomas Wayne in BVS was all part of the plan. Man I'm pumped now!

It feels like the big storylines are being rushed out to drag people into cinemas. First there was the death of superman/dark knight returns, now there's flashpoint.

Say what you like about the Marvel movies, but they drew in the audience with original plots before they started dragging in comic storylines.

It feels like the big storylines are being rushed out to drag people into cinemas. First there was the death of superman/dark knight returns, now there's flashpoint.

Say what you like about the Marvel movies, but they drew in the audience with original plots before they started dragging in comic storylines.

Iron Man - Tales of Suspense 139
Incredible Hulk - Tales to Astonish 90
Iron Man 2 - Demon in a Bottle
Thor - Journey into Mystery (multiple issues)
Cap - Cap America Comics 11/14
Avengers - Avengers 1-4

Those early movies weren't based on comic stories then eh? :facepalm

Or OK, we can go further - "but they aren't big well known comic stories" - well yeah. That was the point - they started their Cinematic Universe with "B-List" characters (which everyone praises). They also didn't have access to characters such as F4, X-Men and various others which will have controlled which stories they went for etc.

DCEU are using famous source material to drive and flavour their story telling - they aren't going to hold off on adapting the most well known stories until Film 20, are they? I believe Chris Nolan's number one piece of advice when he was making the Dark Knight trilogy, was to "leave it all out there, don't hold back" essentially with each film. You can never make these movies with the promise that there will always be another chance.

But yeah... :behave

You've gotta care about the individuals before you throw them together. Marvel was trying to build something and they did. DC wants to play catchup and just seems to want to just to same point that marvel's at. Just seems anti-climactic to put everyone together right off the bat instead of building to it. Unless you're only concerned about team ups - which would be a different way to go. Stick with JL1, 2, 3, etc, and forgo the individuals.

Iron Man - Tales of Suspense 139
Incredible Hulk - Tales to Astonish 90
Iron Man 2 - Demon in a Bottle
Thor - Journey into Mystery (multiple issues)
Cap - Cap America Comics 11/14
Avengers - Avengers 1-4

Those early movies weren't based on comic stories then eh? :facepalm

Or OK, we can go further - "but they aren't big well known comic stories" - well yeah. That was the point - they started their Cinematic Universe with "B-List" characters (which everyone praises). They also didn't have access to characters such as F4, X-Men and various others which will have controlled which stories they went for etc.

DCEU are using famous source material to drive and flavour their story telling - they aren't going to hold off on adapting the most well known stories until Film 20, are they? I believe Chris Nolan's number one piece of advice when he was making the Dark Knight trilogy, was to "leave it all out there, don't hold back" essentially with each film. You can never make these movies with the promise that there will always be another chance.

But yeah... :behave

I mean, feel free to facepalm as much as you like, nice to meet you too.

Certainly in the cases of Iron Man, Iron Man 2, Thor and Avengers the comic storylines weren't the main draw of the movie. Iron man's storyline from issue 39 was done by 1/3 into the movie, Iron Man 2's storyline was not entirely built around his alcoholism (though it did, admittedly, play a more major role)... I could go on but I hope you can see the point I'm trying to make.

Alternatively, DC seemed to (for Batman vs Superman and now Flashpoint) go down the route of "Look, it's that comicbook storyline you like!"

I personally think it's part of the reason why Wonder Woman performed as well as it did - there were some similarities with her comic book storylines, but the story wasn't so similar it was predictable. Look at Batman vs superman and some cases could have been shot-for-shot remakes.

My point wasn't that it makes them bad movies, though I don't prefer them to marvel's offerings at the moment, I was just pointing out the fact that they are very quickly going for these major storylines rather than establishing a world in which to set them.

Having a Flashpoint movie just after we're introduced to the character doesn't feel right to me. It doesn't do a great story justice. Seems like DC's rushing again. And I thought Wonder Woman would be the start of something good... Still hope that they manage to pull it off though.

I mean, feel free to facepalm as much as you like, nice to meet you too.

Certainly in the cases of Iron Man, Iron Man 2, Thor and Avengers the comic storylines weren't the main draw of the movie. Iron man's storyline from issue 39 was done by 1/3 into the movie, Iron Man 2's storyline was not entirely built around his alcoholism (though it did, admittedly, play a more major role)... I could go on but I hope you can see the point I'm trying to make.

Alternatively, DC seemed to (for Batman vs Superman and now Flashpoint) go down the route of "Look, it's that comicbook storyline you like!"

I personally think it's part of the reason why Wonder Woman performed as well as it did - there were some similarities with her comic book storylines, but the story wasn't so similar it was predictable. Look at Batman vs superman and some cases could have been shot-for-shot remakes.

My point wasn't that it makes them bad movies, though I don't prefer them to marvel's offerings at the moment, I was just pointing out the fact that they are very quickly going for these major storylines rather than establishing a world in which to set them.

Apologies for the facepalm - to be fair, you claimed they weren't based on comic stories in your wording. Clearly they are.

I think people tend to forget that they are being told a story, or a set of stories. Having preconceived notions of what they should or should not do in regards to adapting the source material is utterly irrelevant, for Marvel and DC. These are adaptations of those famous stories. Which generally, are famous for a reason - they speak to a larger theme/event/and are memorable.

They also cater these films to an audience that for the most part is not familiar with a lot of comic knowledge.

I think Flashpoint could work really well (Geoff Johns is the architect here, is everyone forgetting that?) if it concentrates heavily on Barry's backstory, which I think it will. It can tell a LOT of history about the Flash and his mother/Reverse Flash, while still connecting to the universe at large in the ripple effects/alternate timeline story. Sounds bloody great to me - in fact, it sounds like a quintessential comic book story - speedsters, evil, timetravel, butterfly effect, heroes and villains.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back