Roddenberry.com TOS Tricorder Kit Question

dalem

Greetings!

I'm just going to post what I posted over on Starship Modeler :) :

"Looking to clean out some of my stash, I stumbled on a tricorder prop kit I got from Roddenberry.com in 2002 just before they got C&Dd. I can't find anything online about this specific kit, but from the looks of it it's the base kit for the Master Replicas one. The way I remember it is, I bought the communicator, liked it, wanted to buy the phaser and tricorder next, they were out of stock for the phaser, and after I ordered the tricorder they got hit with their C&D and so couldn't make an assembled kit for me but could still sell existing stock, and that's how I ended up with the kit. I think that's how it happened.

The box has been opened but all parts are still bagged. No electronics were part of the kit.

Anyone know of anyone else who's had one of these, and what they called it so I can see if it's worth trying to sell? Technically it's super-rare, I guess, but that doesn't mean there's much of a market for it. Or is this more properly an RPF type question?

Thanks! "

And the response was indeed "the RPF folks might be able to help."

So here I am.

I can see "mint-in-box" MR tricorders for big prices on ebay, and I'd rate this as such, BUT this is an electronics-less kit, so it's not the same thing.

Any ideas?

-dale

IMAG0334.jpg

IMAG0334.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
A few things...

Someone can correct me but I recall nothing of Roddenberry.com receiving a C&D letter in 2002. Given that they retain Star Trek licensing rights due to decades old agreements I don't see how they could even be subject to one. They simply stopped replenishing their stock of prop kits in the late 00's, and were still selling off remaining kit inventory until about 2013-2014. They continue to develop and sell finished prop replicas under their own license.

The Roddenberry tricorder kit was developed by HMS Creative Productions, based on a tricorder they made for the DS9 "Trials and Tribble-ations" episode. The HMS tricorder was also the basis for the Diamond Select Toys replica/toy.

The Master Replicas tricorder is fully its own beast and is a bit more accurate to the actual TOS hero props than the HMS version.

1) Thanks for responding so fast, folks.

2) Did more googling and ebay searching. Found this http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ultra-Rare-...9d9c0a0&pid=100008&rk=1&rkt=5&sd=222379180596 which is the box and COA (who needs a COA without the item???) of the phaser. No kit. This is exactly what I have except mine's got parts still. Cool.

3) Maybe I mis-remembered the C&D part. I just remember getting en email about my order back in 2002 saying they couldn't/wouldn't be doing any more assembled kits and the best they could do was what I got.

IMAG0335.jpg

Has anyone seen one of the actual kits for sale? Clearly I have more searching to do.

Thanks!

-dale

1) Thanks for responding so fast, folks.

2) Did more googling and ebay searching. Found this http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ultra-Rare-...9d9c0a0&pid=100008&rk=1&rkt=5&sd=222379180596 which is the box and COA (who needs a COA without the item???) of the phaser. No kit. This is exactly what I have except mine's got parts still. Cool.

3) Maybe I mis-remembered the C&D part. I just remember getting en email about my order back in 2002 saying they couldn't/wouldn't be doing any more assembled kits and the best they could do was what I got.

View attachment 699542

Has anyone seen one of the actual kits for sale? Clearly I have more searching to do.

Thanks!

-dale
The thing to remember when it comes to seeing stuff on eBay, is to never base the value off of an auction that is active or a buy it now. Anyone can be asking any amount and you can find it and jump to the assumption that yours must be at least worth that amount. Someone could be asking $500,000 for the item but that doesn't mean that is the value. Unless you see it sold for that price, then you might as well dismiss that price as just "wishful thinking" on the part of the seller. You are best to search the completed listings and find ones that have sold. That will give you a true value of what the public is willing to and has paid in the current market.

A few things...

Someone can correct me but I recall nothing of Roddenberry.com receiving a C&D letter in 2002. Given that they retain Star Trek licensing rights due to decades old agreements I don't see how they could even be subject to one. They simply stopped replenishing their stock of prop kits in the late 00's, and were still selling off remaining kit inventory until about 2013-2014. They continue to develop and sell finished prop replicas under their own license.

The Roddenberry tricorder kit was developed by HMS Creative Productions, based on a tricorder they made for the DS9 "Trials and Tribble-ations" episode. The HMS tricorder was also the basis for the Diamond Select Toys replica/toy.

The Master Replicas tricorder is fully its own beast and is a bit more accurate to the actual TOS hero props than the HMS version.

Correct on all counts.

100% accurate advice on ebay. Price asked is not market value - it's merely price asked.

Yuck. I hate having this thing doing nothing in my basement. I will gather more info, see what's what, and maybe see if anyone local has a use for it.

Thanks a ton for your answers, folks.

-dale (grateful)

Edit: and thanks for the Quatloos comments! Normally I'd make a sly response about how the newcomer is untrainable and will have to be destroyed, but that would hardly seem in my favor, yes?

A few things...

Rod.com was stopped from selling Trek props just before MR got their license, I don't know if it was a C&D or just that they were asked not to sell them. This was when Rich Coyle was selling his Phasers and Tricorders through them which was the only way he was allowed to sell them. A few years later they were again allowed to sell Trek props made by HMS until a few years back.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back