Bandai release schedule

I wouldn't be so fast to discount the impact of the boycott or the controversy over TLJ on Solo's box office. I bet most of us know people who intentionally didn't go (or who just downloaded it online) in order to "send a message" to Disney that they were unhappy. I know of a bunch (not that I agree with them). I know others who aren't quite so militant, but who likewise said, "Eh, I felt kinda burned on that last one, so I'll wait for video." That was real. And when you got other people going so far as to make t-shirts mocking the movie (before anyone ever saw it) using alt-right phrases, it leaves a bad taste in people's mouths about Star Wars in general. Family members have been telling me, "You Star Wars fans are flippin' nuts." That I agree with.

While I disliked TLJ, it didn’t keep me from seeing Solo when it came out.
Even a poorly written and executed movie like TLJ is, at the end of the day, still Star Wars. A bad Star Wars movie beats a good day at work.

While I disliked TLJ, it didn’t keep me from seeing Solo when it came out.
Even a poorly written and executed movie like TLJ is, at the end of the day, still Star Wars. A bad Star Wars movie beats a good day at work.

Totally agree! My dislike for TLJ (and being a PT fan, I don't go out of my way to dwell on my dislike of things when I know other people who do like it) didn't stop me from seeing Solo twice. But I know people for whom it did.

- - - Updated - - -

Which is a shame because Solo was entertaining and fun.

Also agree!

The difference being that TLJ will still be garbage 30 years from now.

I wouldn't be so sure. There are a lot of movies that were flops or didn't made an impact in the box office but later develop an immense following. Original Blade Runner comes to mind. With how fast the world changes I would not even try to guess what would happen 5 or 10 years from now.

TLJ wasn't a flop. Since TFA was the highest grossing movie of all time, and most everyone who saw it was willing to go to see TLJ to see what happened once Rey handed Luke the lightsaber, it was almost guaranteed to be a hit. Whether it passes the test of time, we'll just have to see. Solo definitely suffered since there was no direct tie-in -- no cliffhanger to get people to "see what happens next." You can bet that right now JJ and Lucasfilm are prepping Episode 9 to try to make people move past whatever they disliked about TLJ. I bet there will be a different and more satisfying answer to who are Rey's parents. I bet Luke comes back in some form. I bet they'll work overtime to make Rose funny and likeable. Sincerely, I hope they're successful. I hope the plot of Episode 9 is so smart and inventive that we'll look back on 8 and think, "Oh, okay. I see it. That makes a little more sense now." I'm skeptical, but I sure hope it happens.

I wouldn't be so fast to discount the impact of the boycott or the controversy over TLJ on Solo's box office. I bet most of us know people who intentionally didn't go (or who just downloaded it online) in order to "send a message" to Disney that they were unhappy. I know of a bunch (not that I agree with them). I know others who aren't quite so militant, but who likewise said, "Eh, I felt kinda burned on that last one, so I'll wait for video." That was real. And when you got other people going so far as to make t-shirts mocking the movie (before anyone ever saw it) using alt-right phrases, it leaves a bad taste in people's mouths about Star Wars in general. Family members have been telling me, "You Star Wars fans are flippin' nuts." That I agree with.

The point is, the people so pissed off at TLJ that they think they will send messages to Disney by boycotting Solo is a LOT smaller group than they think they are. That's not to say that the overall group of people unhappy with TLJ is small -- there's no denying it's a divisive movie. But there were plenty of people so disillusioned with Star Wars after the prequels that they were "DONE" who were also among the first in line for The Force Awakens.

Solo didn't really have much buzz or excitement around it before the backlash surrounding TLJ was even a thing. The weird switching of directors didn't help. People concerned over the casting didn't help. Plot details suggesting it was just going to be telling us things we already know about Solo didn't help.

The film under-performed by literally more than hundreds of millions. The angry at TLJ fanbase didn't do that.

Regarding the dementia shared by a lot of Star Wars fans I must agree. Going so far as to start bullying actors like what happened with the lady who played Rose is verging on psychotic. It talks volumes about the mental health some of these people have and not in a positive way.

- - - Updated - - -

TLJ wasn't a flop. Since TFA was the highest grossing movie of all time, and most everyone who saw it was willing to go to see TLJ to see what happened once Rey handed Luke the lightsaber, it was almost guaranteed to be a hit. Whether it passes the test of time, we'll just have to see. Solo definitely suffered since there was no direct tie-in -- no cliffhanger to get people to "see what happens next." You can bet that right now JJ and Lucasfilm are prepping Episode 9 to try to make people move past whatever they disliked about TLJ. I bet there will be a different and more satisfying answer to who are Rey's parents. I bet Luke comes back in some form. I bet they'll work overtime to make Rose funny and likeable. Sincerely, I hope they're successful. I hope the plot of Episode 9 is so smart and inventive that we'll look back on 8 and think, "Oh, okay. I see it. That makes a little more sense now." I'm skeptical, but I sure hope it happens.

Not an economical way but according to SOME fans, possibly you included, it was. You even decided not to see the Solo movie which was a very, very good one.

- - - Updated - - -

The point is, the people so pissed off at TLJ that they think they will send messages to Disney by boycotting Solo is a LOT smaller group than they think they are. That's not to say that the overall group of people unhappy with TLJ is small -- there's no denying it's a divisive movie. But there were plenty of people so disillusioned with Star Wars after the prequels that they were "DONE" who were also among the first in line for The Force Awakens.

Solo didn't really have much buzz or excitement around it before the backlash surrounding TLJ was even a thing. The weird switching of directors didn't help. People concerned over the casting didn't help. Plot details suggesting it was just going to be telling us things we already know about Solo didn't help.

The film under-performed by literally more than hundreds of millions. The angry at TLJ fanbase didn't do that.

Agree.

But there were plenty of people so disillusioned with Star Wars after the prequels that they were "DONE" who were also among the first in line for The Force Awakens.

Not an accurate comparison. The entire point of TFA -- and Disney was hardly subtle about making sure everyone got the message -- was to placate those very same fans that hated the prequels. They threw out George's treatments. They mounted a "practical effects" campaign to assure people they were making Star Wars 'the right way' not the PT way. Etc.Etc. TFA was a slobbering wet kiss to the OT specifically because of the people disillusioned with the PT.

Some of that was certainly a contributing factor, but when you add all that in with fans who were REALLY ticked off about TLJ -- especially since real world politics had been added into the mix -- and you have a toxic environment. Prior to TLJ, I never heard much negative about Solo. There were questions about the director change, but most people wrote it off since Rogue One had also had problems and it worked out fine. In fact, I only heard comments like, "Well, this must be a sign they're working to get it right." I heard people saying, "Kasdan wrote it, so I have faith it will be good." I never heard "No one asked for this movie" until right about the time it was released. TLJ shifted the tone. If people had uncertainties about Solo, TLJ kicked those into uncertainties into hostilities.

Not an economical way but according to SOME fans, possibly you included, it was. You even decided not to see the Solo movie which was a very, very good one..

I think you're confusing my comments with someone else's. I loved Solo. Saw it twice. And I think it absolutely suffered because of the backlash from TLJ.

I was there opening day.

It was awesome.

It has remained awesome.

I never met a person, not one, as a kid that didn't like it.

"It was no Star Wars"? Hell, yes. Yes, it was. But some of us were the opening day of that, too. And we grew up 3 years. And it grew up with us.

"Jedi", on the other hand...

Star Wars had absolutely blown me away. Nothing could live up to it and I would collect just about anything related to it

Empire was a bit of a let down on first viewing, the Battle of Hoth was so awesome, but then the rest of the movie seemed to slow down and then bang, the cliffhangar ending. This was a much darker movie. Even still, it was great movie and one I saw as many times as I could.
While it was not as ground breaking as the first one, it had much more depth to it and stood the test of time

I remember saving up money to buy the 4 LP soundtrack. I would listen to it over and over while pouring over the images in the gatefold sleeve and booklet

Return of the Jedi however was kind of the swan song for Star Wars (at least back then). I was a teenager about to enter High School at the time,

Jedi just failed to connect with me. it had gone much more "kid friendly". I felt kind of disappointed. It had lost it's luster. I only saw it once in the theaters

I still liked A New Hope and Empire, but they no longer consumed most of my attention as girls and music just became more important :lol

It would be years before I fully embraced my nerd side again

I have grown to appreciate Return of The Jedi more than I had at the time, but for me, it was still the weakest of the original trilogy

Nostalgia kicked in and I started collecting some Star Wars models like the AMT AT-AT and X-Wing to try building them right this time compared to when I built them at 10 years old

Then the Prequels came out. On the plus side, it was a new Star Wars film. While not great, they were enjoyable.
There was much more of a convoluted plot. It started to get better by Revenge of the Sith which had some very cool moments.
All in all, I'm glad I got to see them and while not as good as the original, they were worthwhile seeing.

Then the long drought.

In the meantime, I started to discover Fine Molds Star Wars line and was hooked again, Then Bandai came along as well as the announcement of new Star Wars movies

What an amazing time for a Star Wars fan!

Again, while not ground breaking, I think the TFA was perfect for what it was. It hit all the right notes as far as nostalgia, and was certainly more exciting than Phantom Menance

It seemed to be a great start to a promising trilogy

Then Bandai started giving us even more cool models as well as releasing subjects we'd been wishing for in 1/72 scale for years!

Then Rogue One came along and came close to capturing some of the original trilogy magic as well as proving you can have a good Star Wars movie not rehashing the same old plots and characters

Then Last Jedi came along and totally killed that momentum. For the record, I thought the movie was ok and I am glad I saw it. But much like ROTJ back when I was a teen, it left me disappointed.

Solo was a bit of return to form for a Star Wars movie. I'm glad I saw it. It helped restore a little bit of the magic

God, I hope JJ redeems it

I liked TLJ, hell I was hyped up before release and I loved it so much that I went back and bought the Kylo Ren figure kit.

On the flip side I felt nothing for Solo, even before the BTS drama.

Same. I *loved* TLJ, for many reasons. It did have pacing problems. And plot holes/logical issues, but so does *every* Star Wars movie -- they're Space Fantasy movies, not Science Fiction.

I found Solo mildly entertaining, but wished it had much, much more of a Rogue One vibe, and the various unexplained plot-ex-machinas drove me nuts.

Just one more datapoint :)

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back