Just watched Highlander for the first time. Just awful!

Runner

Sr Member
Finally got around to watching Highlander after all these years and was shocked at how bad (in a bad way) it was! I don't understand the cult following this movie has is it was just awful.

I know its dated and hasn't aged well but there are a lot of older movies from the 70's and 80's that I love and still watch to this day so its not that I am having an issue with the style of the era.

What the heck is the appeal of this movie?!

I think the appeal lies in the intrigue of immortality. It covers a lot of ground and it's a fascinating concept to explore. In my opinion, it's a pretty great idea that was fleshed out into a pretty bad script.

Surely it's probably overrated, interesting to see it viewed as bad-bad.

My main issue with it is the immortals willingly converging to kill each other. "We have to weed ourselves all down to one!"

No, you don't. Just stay home. There, now you don't have to kill or be killed and you still get to live forever. Just don't do it!

And the prize is reading the world's minds and you're mortal now? Nah, I'm good, thanks.

Finally got around to watching Highlander after all these years and was shocked at how bad (in a bad way) it was! I don't understand the cult following this movie has is it was just awful.

I know its dated and hasn't aged well but there are a lot of older movies from the 70's and 80's that I love and still watch to this day so its not that I am having an issue with the style of the era.

Whatever you say Jack.... you're the Master race....

Come on.... its awesome. But it helps i you saw it when it came out like most movies. You have no nostalgia attatched to it like the other films you mention you STILL enjoy. Clearly you saw these a long time ago so the old feeling kick in when you see them.

That all being said I prefer the series with Adrian Paul..... Now THAT was good.

There is nostalgia a lot of people have for these films they saw when they were younger. That nostalgia has made it into a cult film. But for those who never got into the film back when it came out, or never saw it back then, there is no sentiment for it. Trying to go back and watch it now for the first time, you are sure to feel it sucks... because by today's standards, it does, lol. Imagine never seeing Star Wars and 40 years later you decide it is time to watch it for the first time. I am sure you would disappointed upon viewing and would be like, "This is what everyone is flipping out over?" Without the childhood memories attached to the film, and viewing it by today standard... like the way it was filmed, the cheap effects, etc., you are always going to be underwhelmed.

Heck, I have a ton of films (AND TV shows) that I hold in my heart as great childhood memories. I tried to go back and watch them but I couldn't get through some of them. The realization of just how bad they were, smacked me in the face. Still love them.... for the memories, but couldn't sit through them again. :lol

l. Imagine never seeing Star Wars and 40 years later you decide it is time to watch it for the first time. I am sure you would disappointed upon viewing and would be like, "This is what everyone is flipping out over?" Without the childhood memories attached to the film, and viewing it by today standard...

NO. Star Wars is objectively wonderful and timeless. You talk like nostalgia is the ONLY thing that keeps a movie popular over the years. Sometimes yes, sometimes no.

NO. Star Wars is objectively wonderful and timeless. You talk like nostalgia is the ONLY thing that keeps a movie popular over the years. Sometimes yes, sometimes no.

I was just saying, to a non Star Wars fan, who never saw it, or ever cared about it.... to watch it tomorrow, they would not jump out of their seat and call it "Wonderful" and "timeless". I am not looking to debate this with Star Wars fans who think the film is anointed by higher powers. It was merely an observation that to someone outside the fan community who didn't grow up on the film.... they might not like it. Sorry to get your Star Wars underwear into a wad. :lol

Where is the downvote button? This forum has a downvote button, right?

I was just saying, to a non Star Wars fan, who never saw it, or ever cared about it.... to watch it tomorrow, they would not jump out of their seat and call it "Wonderful" and "timeless". I am not looking to debate this with Star Wars fans who think the film is anointed by higher powers. It was merely an observation that to someone outside the fan community who didn't grow up on the film.... they might not like it. Sorry to get your Star Wars underwear into a wad. :lol

What a gentlemanly response.

You're the one who chose SW as an example in the middle of one the highest concentrations of SW fans on the internet. But sure, let's speak generally, as you should have in the first place. You claimed (or at least your wording made it seem so, which amounts to the same thing) was that the only way for something to stand the test of time is for people to have a nostalgic fondness for it, and that is absolutely not true. Plenty of older films get seen for the first time by people late in their lives and they end up appreciating them as good works on their own merit. Now, I'm not saying that "nostalgia effect" (let's call it) doesn't exist, but it is not an absolute.

Sometimes, movies are best when they dont age well, which this movie doesnt. Which helps me remember and appreciate what it really was like when it was released.

Gritty New York, Sean Connery, and a SOUNDTRACK by Queen... What's not to love?

Sent from my SM-J727V using Tapatalk

I saw it as a kid and liked it, though I haven't revisited it since then and honestly don't have enough interest to do so. Not that it was one of those series that was near and dear to my heart like a lot of other movies of the era, but something tells me it wouldn't hold up so well.

I was never a huge Blade Runner fan either. I like it and own a copy but I never saw it as a kid and perhaps because of that it didn't influence me the way it did for others. My favorite films I saw as a kid not only have stood the test of time, but they inspired me in ways that went far beyond the movies themselves.

Highlander has a cool concept but I'm not so sure that it's executed that well. I'd have to revisit it at some point, though I suspect I'll never care enough to. Lol

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back