Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (Post-release)

Just "shows to go ya" that 11th-hour retooling is a bad sign about where a film WAS going, it can be a very good thing toward the final product.

It's amazing how hard a time Disney seem to be having producing good SW films. I guess the pressure must be high but they've got everyone's money they should be able to create coherent films surely? :)

After watching TLJ I had my first experience of head-canon. I kind of retreated into the material I considered to be good. Rogue one is definitely part of my head canon but for different reasons than the OT.

But one of the miss steps that R1 took was with vader. I enjoyed the scene where he goes through the rebels like a hot knife through butter but how you do you reconcile that Vader with the one in ANH who can barely hold is own against an octogenarian with an old laser sword? Like a few days later?

I'm curious to know what others think on this

It's amazing how hard a time Disney seem to be having producing good SW films. I guess the pressure must be high but they've got everyone's money they should be able to create coherent films surely? :)

After watching TLJ I had my first experience of head-canon. I kind of retreated into the material I considered to be good. Rogue one is definitely part of my head canon but for different reasons than the OT.

But one of the miss steps that R1 took was with vader. I enjoyed the scene where he goes through the rebels like a hot knife through butter but how you do you reconcile that Vader with the one in ANH who can barely hold is own against an octogenarian with an old laser sword? Like a few days later?

Considering his "Your powers are weak old man" comment... he could have been just toying with Ben....

yeah could be ( and I don't mean to go on a anti-R1 rant because it's a cool film) but we shouldn't have to create rationales to try and marry up two things that don't fit very well. Anyway it's a minor gripe I guess Rogue 1 was a type of film we all wanted to see I think: dirty dozen meets SW? Hell yes

Think back to the prequels and how badass Obi Wan was, the guy was unstoppable. Factor in, the last time they met, Obi Wan took 3 of his limbs off, you'd go in cautious if you were smart.
Look at combat sports, when a guy out matches their opponent, flashier stuff comes out, when they are in a much more even bout you will find they are both stand offish and will poke at each other a lot more looking for the openings. The R1 Vader to E4 Vader makes perfect sense to me.

Cutting a swath through rebel troops with blasters is as easy as it was for him mowing through battledroids. Why shouldn't it be?
Obi-Wan is a Jedi Master; different thing, even if he's older. Maybe his powers were weakER, but Vader was overstating the case to get in his head.

I'd say that unless Anakin was totally out of it in the AOTC Dooku duel (he might have been out), Yoda showed that age doesn't necessarily matter if you have the Force. So ANH Obi Wan was most likely a lot more spry than a human of similar age. I remember an interview in SW Insider where Lucas said that Obi Wan could have defeated Vader in ANH, but that wasn't his mission.

OTOH those Rebel troopers would be like a pro MMA fighter having to take on a row of 10 year olds in a hallway.

I Get all that. Just like midichlorians we're also in the first draft.

It doesn't change the fact that one of the main criticisms of the film is that no one was invested in the characters by time they all gave their lives

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
BULLCRAP! The characters in Rogue One are very engrossing. Quit spouting clichés!

BULLCRAP! The characters in Rogue One are very engrossing. Quit spouting clichés!

If you will note, I said."one of the main criticisms of the film"....

By that I mean that I read that over and over again.

Personally, that is not one of my main criticisms. I don't think the movie needed to even be made. It doesn't work for me on any level.

If you will note, I said."one of the main criticisms of the film"....

By that I mean that I read that over and over again.

Personally, that is not one of my main criticisms. I don't think the movie needed to even be made. It doesn't work for me on any level.

......Ha,....but you like the Prequels & the kids cartoons?........

To me R1 is the only good film after the LFL sale to Disney....(or even after RoTJ)

J

......Ha,....but you like the Prequels & the kids cartoons?........

To me R1 is the only good film after the LFL sale to Disney....(or even after RoTJ)

J
Oddly enough, I'm starting to look forward to solo. Howard is probably the right type of director and this project seems to line up with the MCU in terms of tone and story.

I probably do think that rogue one is the best of the Disney films. I just don't think it lines up with ANH as well as many people do. So that's a huge problem for me.

Oddly enough, I'm starting to look forward to solo. Howard is probably the right type of director and this project seems to line up with the MCU in terms of tone and story.

I probably do think that rogue one is the best of the Disney films. I just don't think it lines up with ANH as well as many people do. So that's a huge problem for me.

Yeah I agree Astroboy for me I think it's that we get to go back into the OT SW aethestic. A lot of Disney Star Wars is basically fan service but in R1 and I suspect Solo it worked well because of the OT setting.

Yeah I agree Astroboy for me I think it's that we get to go back into the OT SW aethestic. A lot of Disney Star Wars is basically fan service but in R1 and I suspect Solo it worked well because of the OT setting.
Personally, I like the clone era more.

The ot is such a sacred event that I don't know if it needs any expansion. I would have no problem with other films taking place here, I just don't really want to see much more of the people we know.

But I do think the time between order 66 and the death star is interesting to explore.

But frankly, Everytime I say that one Disney wars movie is better than another, I instantly regret it.

One thing is for certain, 'memberberries really bother me.

In spite of having a few good scenes, Rogue One was, overall, a terrible Star Wars movie. It'd have been nice if they'd developed a few of the characters during the re-shoots, because K2-SO's death is the only one I gave AF about. Of course, that would remedy just one of its myriad problems.

Yes, it's the best of the Disney Wars films. But my God, what a low bar that is to clear.

The Wook

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back