Black Series Darth Vader reveal helmet coming...? Hasbrocon

Not a fan of the thin helmet dome; honestly that's the only detail keeping me on the fence about picking this up.

If the dome being two thin is the biggest issue with this helmet, isnt that quite an easy fix for some of the highly talented individuals here? It seams that for $129.00 +tax, S&H and a little fiberglass or possibly even bondo, folks here would be all over this. I have seen some threads of you guys damn near completely resculpting, splitting, filling, sanding, and repainting some that didn't start out looking this good.

I've made a comparison with an EFX (photos found on the internet) and Black Series (promotional photos). Matching the face part, you can see the helm part is way too small. Only a little bigger than the Hasbro voice changer was. How can they still do something like that? They know fans want an accurate replica, either for display or for cosplay. Instead they still treat the thing as a cheap toy for kids to be able to put it on. After the Stormtrooper BS I was really looking forward to this, but now I'm so disappointed. :(

Darth Vader Comparison.png

I appreciate what you're aiming to do with this comparison, but I could give you two photos of the exact same helmet with even more significant differences. The focal length of the lens and the distance from the subject is going to create visual differences in the sizes and shapes of the helmet's geometry as well as the perceived distance between details. If you get close to the front of the helmet with a wide lens, the face will appear larger and the dome will appear shorter up top - much like the front angle on the Hasbro.

I'm not arguing that the Hasbro reveal is accurately sized by any means, but this kind of comparison isn't really able to demonstrate anything scientific.

I've made a comparison with an EFX (photos found on the internet) and Black Series (promotional photos). Matching the face part, you can see the helm part is way too small. Only a little bigger than the Hasbro voice changer was. How can they still do something like that? They know fans want an accurate replica, either for display or for cosplay. Instead they still treat the thing as a cheap toy for kids to be able to put it on. After the Stormtrooper BS I was really looking forward to this, but now I'm so disappointed. :(

View attachment 807735

I appreciate what you're aiming to do with this comparison, but I could give you two photos of the exact same helmet with even more significant differences. The focal length of the lens and the distance from the subject is going to create visual differences in the sizes and shapes of the helmet's geometry as well as the perceived distance between details. If you get close to the front of the helmet with a wide lens, the face will appear larger and the dome will appear shorter up top - much like the front angle on the Hasbro.

I'm not arguing that the Hasbro reveal is accurately sized by any means, but this kind of comparison isn't really able to demonstrate anything scientific.

I know that, I did what I could with what I have on hand, only to have a general idea. It is still a little insightful. Especially the side views, as that shape stands in one plane, thus not suffering from perspective.

Someone should photograph both helmets in the same setup, preferably zooming while far away (to compensate perspective as much as possible).

If the dome being two thin is the biggest issue with this helmet, isnt that quite an easy fix for some of the highly talented individuals here? It seams that for $129.00 +tax, S&H and a little fiberglass or possibly even bondo, folks here would be all over this. I have seen some threads of you guys damn near completely resculpting, splitting, filling, sanding, and repainting some that didn't start out looking this good.
Well, sure you could rebuild it, but is it worth the money and time.

I know that, I did what I could with what I have on hand, only to have a general idea. It is still a little insightful. Especially the side views, as that shape stands in one plane, thus not suffering from perspective.

Someone should photograph both helmets in the same setup, preferably zooming while far away (to compensate perspective as much as possible).

The front plane might actually be flatter than the side, given the dome's flare. That curve at the base of the dome is the kind of thing that could be totally thrown off by focal length, camera position. It's actually an encouraging angle for the Hasbro though - you can get a sense that the relative sizes of different elements are closer to what they should be than they appear in the front angle. The dome doesn't look as small. It doesn't look to me that the focal length/distance was the same between the two photos/renderings Hasbro put out. If the lens for the profile view was as wide as the front view, it looks like they moved back from it, which flattened it out.

I don't think your comparison is reason for disappointment if you'd been excited based on the teaser images. Yes, the front view lines up horribly, but again - you could make the screen-used helmet look just as wonky with a close-up wide angle shot. It doesn't even give you a general idea of the comparison without an apples-to-apples shot. I imagine we'll see one soon enough once people start getting them in hand!

It's $100... in order to keep this price point sacrifices *had* to have been made somewhere. The real Vader helmet dome is probably about a 1/4" thick... that's a significant amount of material and it would also add a fair amount of weight to the dome.

As for size of the dome, yet again, I think some of you fail to realize just how massive a Vader helmet really is. This is *not* supposed to be a screen accurate 1-to-1 replica. Despite what some of you think, it *is* a glorified toy.

You might as well bitch about how the proportions for the Hasbro Millennium Falcon are off and that had an even higher price point than this helmet....

There's quite a couple listed on ebay already and alot of sties taking pre-orders; but for those of us that want to pick it up in stores (Target/Walmart) what's the typical lead time from when it hits online stores to physical store shelves???

For the price, I wouldn't mind wearing this around the house while I'm cooking :lol

Ehh, I wouldn't go that far. The facemask is more accurate in its sculpt but that's about it.

The Rubies helmets is far superior in the sculpt in every aspect. It still retains the history and connection with original helmets despite it being so far derived from them. The Hasbro is just a good enough for them ground sculpt.

View attachment 807735

I know enough of Vader to tell you guys that this does show the differences between the 2 helmets. While not perfect since they come from 2 different sources but it is enough to explain why I think the Hasbro is butt ugly. This is a good comparison.

It's $100... in order to keep this price point sacrifices *had* to have been made somewhere. The real Vader helmet dome is probably about a 1/4" thick... that's a significant amount of material and it would also add a fair amount of weight to the dome.

As for size of the dome, yet again, I think some of you fail to realize just how massive a Vader helmet really is. This is *not* supposed to be a screen accurate 1-to-1 replica. Despite what some of you think, it *is* a glorified toy.

You might as well bitch about how the proportions for the Hasbro Millennium Falcon are off and that had an even higher price point than this helmet....

I dont know why people like you keep repeating that its a toy. I dont see your view point after the last 3 WERE ONE TO FREAKIN ONE helmets and were DAMN CLOSE to what helmets THEY REPLICATED for coming from a toy company.

The Rubies helmets is far superior in the sculpt in every aspect.
Every aspect? So the Rubies is more accurate as far as the sculpt of the “reveal” aspect? Seems a bit.... lacking to me, whereas the Hasbro is reasonably good, and certainly offers something we haven’t seen at anything close to this price point.

Every aspect? So the Rubies is more accurate as far as the sculpt of the “reveal” aspect? Seems a bit.... lacking to me, whereas the Hasbro is reasonably good, and certainly offers something we haven’t seen at anything close to this price point.

I never mentioned the reveal aspect, I just said the sculpt. Thats it, please do not add to my post that was not there,

I guess I assumed that “far superior in the sculpt in every aspect” was all-encompassing.

In that case, which other parts of the helmet are not included when we’re saying “every aspect of the sculpt?”

I dont know why people like you keep repeating that its a toy. I dont see your view point after the last 3 WERE ONE TO FREAKIN ONE helmets and were DAMN CLOSE to what helmets THEY REPLICATED for coming from a toy company.

I hate to break it to you... it's a toy... just because the other helmets were 1-to-1 means diddly squat to the fact that they were toys as well... very nice toys, but toys nonetheless.

Unless you're telling me that the BS versions are comparable to the Avanos releases or the Prop Shop offerings...

The BS Stormtrooper helmet is nowhere anything close to being accurate to any of the OT Stormie helmets. Was it accurate to the Rogue One helmets? Maybe, but there were plenty of people kvetching about the differences between that helmet and the ANH helmets as well,

I'll also point out that none of the aforementioned BS releases were as ambitious as this Vader with its reveal function. You think this is crap... fine, don't buy it. Go spend the extra couple of hundred dollars and get a PCR Vader, which itself is a highly sanitized version of the original ANH cast. But I guarantee that the appeal and sales of this helmet with its features and price point will far outstrip the PCR by a margin that eFX could only dream of....

Given all the pictures and the construction of the helmet, I think the best (and maybe only) way to display this helmet is in a three part reveal stand. I was iffy before but I think as a reveal it really stands out. The flaws are WAY less noticeable. I few paint tweaks to hide the large magnets and it would look rather nice at a reasonable price.

That being said, I would be sorely temped to replace the entire dome if I found a cast/plastic option that fit the bill.

The Rubies helmets is far superior in the sculpt in every aspect. It still retains the history and connection with original helmets despite it being so far derived from them. The Hasbro is just a good enough for them ground sculpt.

Yes the size and overall shape are a good base for a helmet.But the details are also not good.Nosegrooves and the centerstripe on the dome are also very bad.

This thread seems to be going in the direction of comparing a ferrari (Every other vader helmet) to a ford truck (Black series vader). Really the BS Vader is for people that just want something that is "good enough" and or displays for a cheap price. Can't really compare that fairly to a Vader helmet that from the very beginning was sculpted to be nothing but accurate, not to mention the laws toy companies have to adhere to with masks that force the shape to change.

Just recieved mine
I'm no Vader expert, but I can tell that this is not accurate immediately, as I have expected it to be. I'm not complaining. Why? Because you are not going to get a better helmet with all of its features and details for the price you pay
A stepup from this would be the efx pcr but that costs 3times the price. Personally I would pick the efx since I mainly prefer mine to be displayable. BUT if you are even the slightest a Vader fan, or star wars fan for that matter, AND unless you are totally against inaccurate helmets(loosen up alittle) you will be very pleased to have this in your collection. I know I am [emoji4]
0c80dc0360155d0e64c49aa390f63ab2.jpg
7c23e4bbd7a9558ed54694ce7fb64ce7.jpg
eb2c24c1e9de815a11c6834e09017c54.jpg
7958e5a04e338fc885774177f6780b2a.jpg
c4a95f49866b806975c63adabbd3b144.jpg
cf0222fbef0a7f5249035b8c71cbc603.jpg
c49bce1e75d23ef88f46ed302609b9fa.jpg
163bea506d0b6b25e50675822a9fca23.jpg
cfe68f38701407926f63a3accdc34bea.jpg
5c6a59fc004ce09ac0db944897f237dc.jpg
d63493566912c8cd3a3379021d7a6f4e.jpg
97dbbae2f7f803c1cea5535441cca8db.jpg

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back