Real Origami Blade Runner Unicorn

DeLano80

Sr Member
So I decided to take this on. I thought I would first use some 8x8 just to get the folds down.

FIVE HOURS LATER....

BEHOLD

MY

CREATION

IMG_1374.JPG
IMG_1376.JPG
IMG_1377.JPG
IMG_1378.JPG
IMG_1379.JPG
So I am not doing this again. Seriously. After five hours this is what I came up with. I looked at diagrams and watched instructional videos. I made every fold the guy did as I watched frame by frame.

It is an abomination. It doesn't even stand. It looks like a drunken clown unicorn.

Thanks for looking.

Maybe I will finally get my premium membership and start a run.

:)You have patience to even stay at it 5 hours.

Patience? Insanity I think. It was self torture. I watched two different videos. It looked like slight of hand half the time. This one is twice as big as it should be. Much respect for people who can do this sort thing. Maybe I will try more.... Maybe. But, to be fair, I think Blade Runner would have had a better ending if Deckard bent down and picked up this beauty.

Try again! It gets easier with repetition. A couple of years ago, I used a diagram I found online, to give this figure a go. I didn't want to waste the actual foil-backed origami paper on a fail, so I used Post-It notes.

I will admit that the diagrams were NOT hella-clear, but origami is kind of my jam, so it worked out ok.

20180131_204953.jpg

Try again! It gets easier with repetition. A couple of years ago, I used a diagram I found online, to give this figure a go. I didn't want to waste the actual foil-backed origami paper on a fail, so I used Post-It notes.

I will admit that the diagrams were NOT hella-clear, but origami is kind of my jam, so it worked out ok.

Oh, my first post was probably just a rant. In order for me to try again, I will need my kids gone and a bottle of wine... Yours looks excellent. But, that was super frustrating. I should have known, I thought with videos and diagrams, how hard could it be?

Just looking at the instructions sent me fleeing. I just bought one of ebay some years ago. I got two, a large and screen size, plus wiener matchstick man and the chicken.
Hats off to anyone that pulls one together.

Which instructions were you using? I found these the easiest to go by. Step 23 is the hardest part. You're basically just turning the one side inside out so the white side faces out instead of the foil. Once you do it a few times it gets easier.

http://bladerunnerunicorn.com/Unicorn_Diagrams.html
That is one of the instructions I used. I also used that guys video instructions as well as another on youtube. I guess it clicks with some people and not for others. Yours looks great. I may try again.

That is one of the instructions I used. I also used that guys video instructions as well as another on youtube. I guess it clicks with some people and not for others. Yours looks great. I may try again.

Yeah, I found his video confusing and couldn’t figure out what the drawing for step 23 was. Once I realized what you were really doing it made sense. It’s hard to describe other than you’re turning it inside out. I also found a video where the guy cut the paper to get it inside out at that point and it worked pretty good. I’ll see if I can find it later.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looks like a domestic turkey ! Those of us with no ambition but a collector's urge just buy the resin version from rgriesbeck and paint it with molotow chrome. Looks perfect.

Looks like a domestic turkey ! Those of us with no ambition but a collector's urge just buy the resin version from rgriesbeck and paint it with molotow chrome. Looks perfect.
I am considering getting one of those myself!
I also plan to try the origami again tonight... I am not looking forward to it.

They get easier with practise, and end up quite relaxing. It helps me at least.

IMAG0153.jpg

The jar's been full for a while, they get more consistent too. 7.5cm x 7.5cm works best I think, scale really changes the proportion due to paper creep (effect of paper thickness on the model, basically). My favourite one to date wasn't very traditional media though.

gaff.png

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back