"The Orville". A Seth McFarlane Space Adventure on Fox

Re: "The Orville". A Seth McFarlane Star Trek Parody on Fox

Okay, but you're talking about two separate things. If someone writes a review in exchange for some kind of quid pro quo, then I agree — that's crappy and unethical.

But you'd be hard pressed to find a reviewer or critic, from any generation, who doesn't inject a little personal ideology into their reviews. That's the very nature of the thing... it gives you some context so you know where they're coming from and how they arrived at their conclusions. I find that to actually be useful when I'm deciding whether or not I want to continue reading them in the future.

Nobody is forcing anybody to read movie and tv reviews against their will, right? Read the reviewers you trust and ignore the rest. As for the outright shills, they're usually pretty easy to detect and ignore.

And now to bring this back to Star Trek, here's a visual summary of our conversation, which I've enjoyed, btw (apologies to dascoyne for stealing his bit):

View attachment 763595

(shoot, the gif doesn't seem to play without clicking on it)

I clicked on it...it is an appropriate visual. :D

In todays always connected world everyone is a critic and everything is judged by a popularity scale. "All critics exist because they can't make", as my father used to say. Also, is it possible for a thread that contains Star Trek discourse to not be a ponderous mess? No, I don't think so either.

Because there isn't any real difference between the two. That's the problem with so-called professional journalists, they've been tainted by the stink of paid advocacy, which your fanboy blogger hasn't, We've seen journalists turn into paid shills for the movie and game industry, to the point that nobody trusts them anymore. When one side depends on advertising dollars to get paid and the other doesn't, I'll take the ones that are not influenced by the very industry that they are reporting on, thanks. And so will most people.

Even though I find your constant use of broad generalizations and declarative opinions as fact-- I actually agree with you. I was referring to old school critics-- Pauline Keel, mayeb Siskel and Ebert. People with a knowledge of narrative and film.

The other big problem today is that most mainstream news outlets are now owned by corporations who are less interested in editorial thought, and only interested in a bottom line that is generated via ad revenue-- hence click bait and listicles. Journalism is dead.

I wouldn’t really consider movie reviews journalism. I consider them subjective opinion pieces. Ideally journalism should be objective, but I agree most journalism goes beyond who, what, when, where and why.

I can't believe I forgot Charlize Theron was going to be on tonight! I ran to the grocery store thinking I had time to grab a few things and get back home on time... nope! Two cashiers and a line at each. Got home halfway through the show and couldn't believe my blunder when I turned on the T.V. and saw her.

How cool were her outfits though! I loved this one...
Charlize Theron - The Orville - 01.jpg

Can't wait for Season 1 Blu-Ray to come out!

I wish I had enough Hollywood clout to write my own show, get Charlize Theron to co-star in it, and write love scenes where I got to kiss her. Seth MacFarlane is one lucky duck!!!

dangit...i have the show on my schedule to remind and forgot this week and last to watch it.

VERY cool it's getting top tier guest stars. Liam Neeson was on last week wasn't he?

Not as many "jokes" in this episode, but the "humor" was off the charts. Especially the leg!
I do think they've gotten better at blending the humor with the story, but I thought this episode was far more "serious" than "humorous". I "got" the jokes, I just didn't think they were that funny.

dangit...i have the show on my schedule to remind and forgot this week and last to watch it.
All of the episodes can be seen here, for anyone who has missed any. They lock out the newest episode until it has aired everywhere (I guess FOX still wants the TV ratings), and there are commercials that can't be bypassed (as far as I can tell), but it's nice to have the episodes available for viewing whenever we want.

Was the last episode great because the series is genuinely improving at an exponential rate or because it was directed by Jonathan Frakes and a solid guest star?
Or am I just biased since it started off with them watching Seinfeld on the main viewer.

I hope things continue at this rise and we never see a corresponding downward slope on the backside.

Was the last episode great because the series is genuinely improving at an exponential rate or because it was directed by Jonathan Frakes and a solid guest star?
Or am I just biased since it started off with them watching Seinfeld on the main viewer.

I hope things continue at this rise and we never see a corresponding downward slope on the backside.

I think it was better because it's getting better.

I am, frankly, not a Charlize Theron fan. I just haven't really been able to enjoy a lot of the things she's been in, including one film that's pretty much universally praised just about everywhere that took me a lot of effort to not turn off and just quit watching.

So yeah, she did nothing to increase my enjoyment of the episode at all, yet I thought it was an excellent episode.

When he was requested to the bridge, and then kept walking onto it I lost it. It just seemed to get funnier the more I watched. Solid episode.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back