Bandai release schedule

That one looks pretty cool:

tumblr_p8iku0tN6z1uovh9bo4_1280.jpg

After seeing this and Glover’s walkthrough of the Falcon set, I’m just imagining Lando’s face when he first went inside the ship during ESB.

So how come the Lando Falcon has the extra gear boxes?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

The real reason? Because they already had a full-size Falcon set left over from TFA and TLJ that they just had to re-dress for Solo and it has the extra gear boxes. The full size set cannot support it's own weight, so it either needs the boxes or some other type of support that would then need to be digitally removed. It was probably cheaper and easier to simply make it a story point that the ship starts out with the boxes and then loses them due to battle damage by the end of the film, maintaining continuity with ANH.

The real reason? Because they already had a full-size Falcon set left over from TFA and TLJ that they just had to re-dress for Solo and it has the extra gear boxes. The full size set cannot support it's own weight, so it either needs the boxes or some other type of support that would then need to be digitally removed. It was probably cheaper and easier to simply make it a story point that the ship starts out with the boxes and then loses them due to battle damage by the end of the film, maintaining continuity with ANH.

I was under the impression they had more than one full size set built between TFA & TLJ. Will need to double check but I’m almost positive during the TLJ doc. you can see the production department building a full size set from scratch, as well as having another full size Falcon set commissioned in Ireland to some local builders. My point is that I’m not sure the 5 gear boxes is down to them just redressing a set from TFA/TLJ, as they haven’t previously seemed averse to building entirely new full size sets for the past 2 films. The weight distribution aspect might have some merit to it, although it’s probably fairly easy to get around by digitally removing some extra support struts had they been committed to the 3 gear boxes. I would hazard a guess the real reason is something else.

The reason I brought it up was because from the previews of the movie it appears to go from 5 to 3 at some point.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I was under the impression they had more than one full size set built between TFA & TLJ. .

I could be wrong, but having spent a few years building props and sets, I'm 99% certain the Pinewood art departments recycled all or most of the previous Falcon set pieces for use in Solo. In some cases, it's cheaper to simply rebuild a set from scratch rather than pay to store it, but since they're shooting these movies practically back to back at Pinewood, it would be wasteful not to carry over some or all of the Falcon set between films. Almost always those big sets are designed to be disassembled in sections for storage, transportation, or to reassemble in various configurations on the stage depending on the nature of the scenes being shot. For example, the full 360 Falcon set built for TESB in 1978 was put into storage for use in ROTJ, but when they shot the sandstorm scene a few years later they didn't reassemble the entire ship, just the cockpit side. These sets are basically plywood skins over metal armatures that support all the weight. For Solo, they'd have to remove all the junky greeblies of the older, used-look Falcon and redress it to look new, but I would be very surprised if they didn't reuse the metal armatures and many of the signature Falcon details, like the boarding ramp, landing gear, and Cockpit cone. I'm happy to be proven wrong, but making Lando's version 5-gear instead of 3 is likely an example of form following function.

I could be wrong, but having spent a few years building props and sets, I'm 99% certain the Pinewood art departments recycled all or most of the previous Falcon set pieces for use in Solo. In some cases, it's cheaper to simply rebuild a set from scratch rather than pay to store it, but since they're shooting these movies practically back to back at Pinewood, it would be wasteful not to carry over some or all of the Falcon set between films. Almost always those big sets are designed to be disassembled in sections for storage, transportation, or to reassemble in various configurations on the stage depending on the nature of the scenes being shot. For example, the full 360 Falcon set built for TESB in 1978 was put into storage for use in ROTJ, but when they shot the sandstorm scene a few years later they didn't reassemble the entire ship, just the cockpit side. These sets are basically plywood skins over metal armatures that support all the weight. For Solo, they'd have to remove all the junky greeblies of the older, used-look Falcon and redress it to look new, but I would be very surprised if they didn't reuse the metal armatures and many of the signature Falcon details, like the boarding ramp, landing gear, and Cockpit cone. I'm happy to be proven wrong, but making Lando's version 5-gear instead of 3 is likely an example of form following function.

You could very well be right, as what you’re saying certainly seems logical. I’ll watch the docs. again over the weekend and see if I was just misremembering or maybe just dreamt it up. :)

I'm taking a guess at the landing gear discrepancy, that Han's Falcon is treated like a Hotrod. Back in the 50-70s when you first got your Corvette, GTO, Mustang, Camaro, etc. one of the first thing guys did was ditch all the extra dead weight.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back