Anyone planning on picking up the Target Helmets and "improving" on them?

Thanks, folks!
vtswordfish Here's how I did all the decals

I used graphite paper (Royal Langnickel brand - $6 on Amazon) to transfer the designs from TDH onto blue tape, cut them out with an xacto, applied to the helmet, and airbrushed. Once dry, I scratched them up with a dull blade to match the reference. I was really pleased with how easy it was like this.

IMG_5626_zpsmwk0smar.jpg IMG_5627_zpsb1ivnqrv.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks, folks!
@vtswordfish Here's how I did all the decals

I used graphite paper (Royal Langnickel brand - $6 on Amazon) to transfer the designs from TDH onto blue tape, cut them out with an xacto, applied to the helmet, and airbrushed. Once dry, I scratched them up with a dull blade to match the reference. I was really pleased with how easy it was like this.

View attachment 532218 View attachment 532219

That's sweet. Got anymore WIP pics?

SB

is the helmet very stable or can it break easily but left displayed is fine? and what should be use to reinforce the in inside, fiberglass, clay, resin, etc?

@Getoninja I don't think anything but the visor is at risk of actually breaking. The whole thing just creaks and groans a lot when handled because the pieces are just clipped together. I'm not reinforcing mine, as it's just for display.
StevenBills I have a few more pictures. They're not as interesting, but I'll upload them later.

I've only had luck with the FO Trooper and terrible Vader in the South Austin area. Tried on the FO Trooper, but it didn't quite fit right on my ham-head... May still pick one up for display. Definitely on the hunt for Kylo and Fett...

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

repainted the target kylo and drilled out some vent holes. gonna go with the screen i saw on here earlier and add a lense and a new foam jawline maybe a new faceplate for now im happy with the repaint.
20150923_232244.jpg20150923_232300.jpg20150923_232309.jpg20150923_232333.jpg

StevenBills here are the rest of the progress pictures from my Boba repaint, in glorious reverse order (sorry--start on page two and arrow backward)! Nothing too exciting, except maybe the one that shows how I used the templates as a basic guide to fill in the layers of color after the initial stenciled one. But hopefully it gives you some ideas, anyway!

http://s429.photobucket.com/user/theskeletonshand/library/Boba Fett Repaint

Went to Target today and found a Fett with the range finder detached but laying in the box marked down to $21! Can't wait to get started on this one. We need to finish up our Stormtrooper first though.

I got a new trooper and kylo (kylo was open box so only 20 bucks!) so with the coupon awhile back I got both for $40. Been checking back for fett, they currently have moved most of the star wars stuff out for halloween stuff but I saw the vader helmet alone in the halloween dept so they are restocking these for halloween. If a fett doesnt turn up soon I'll just buy one online. The fett repaints here really got me interested in trying to paint one up.

I got a new trooper and kylo (kylo was open box so only 20 bucks!) so with the coupon awhile back I got both for $40. Been checking back for fett, they currently have moved most of the star wars stuff out for halloween stuff but I saw the vader helmet alone in the halloween dept so they are restocking these for halloween. If a fett doesnt turn up soon I'll just buy one online. The fett repaints here really got me interested in trying to paint one up.

right with you. I was back at target today and saw multiples of all of the helmets except for the Fett

has anyone bought the original stormtrooper helm online from target? I can get it for 136. is it worth the money? just want one for a display piece to go with my e-11

Finally had a free day to knock out this visor.. I tried testing a few things, 5 minute epoxy, epoxy putty, super glue, hot glue.. nothing wanted to stick to the plastic of the helmet.

My solution was to just place some careful screws into the helmet from the inside and lock the visor in place. The visor isn't making perfect contact with the helmet, but it looks good from most angles so I'm happy.

I'll grab some pics tomorrow when it hopefully stops raining!

Hi guys,

after viewing the photos on this thread as well as the boba fett helmet section you guys do an amazing job repainting and adding those finishing touches to make it look as accurate as possible for a $30 helmet.

I have 1 coming in the mail and wanted to see if anyone in the U.S would consider redoing mine for a commission of course? meaning repaint to make it look like ESB, tint visor, fix dent, and fix the stalks by making it longer.

I in no way have the resources nor the creativity/skills to do it myself.

I have already seen the Anovos prototype but would like one for display in the meanwhile lol.

If anyone would be able to do this please let me know your price.

Thank you in advance.

or to make things easier and save me on shipping mine if you happen to have a extra lying around or possible happen to seen them at your local target and can just pick one up, do the edits, and then ship that would be perfect.

I'm taking a trip to PetsMart tomorrow and it's right next to...

Target! (and Home Depot is across the street) This thread has definitely convinced me to pick up a helmet (probably FO Trooper) I'll post my progress in here once I get crackin' on it this weekend. What are the odds that I would register on RPF today? lol I love the fact that they did keep the mesh pattern in the black vent on the front of a $30 helmet instead of just going plain gloss black.

Last edited:
make sure to ask at target I got the Boba Helmet and they had none out on the shelves the clerk I talked to took the online number for the item punched it in his gun and said I looks like I have one in Back stock he can back with it. Plus they are in the Halloween section not with the rest of the star wars merchandise

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back