SpeedRacerx's In-Process SW Builds

SpeedRacerx

RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Decided to start a thread for my builds and thought that would maybe inspire/motivate me to keep them going. It started with a Heiland converted Vader ANH. Then a Luke ESB from my one and only true GRAFLEX. Next came a Yoda VD saber and over this last summer, Roman's Obi Wan ANH kit.
Saber Shelf.jpg

After reading countless build/research threads over the past three-plus years, it was time to work on my next favorite of SW props, a DL-44... Bought a Denix and Todd's kit/parts for ANH Hero, found a real MGC, purchased some random greeblies from members, and now I am here. Cleaning up my Denix and saving my MGC (for now) as reference.

So after continuing to be inspired by members like @matty matt , @scottjua and others, I recently started to clean up my Denix. My first blaster? - The Greedo Killer.
Denix Port Mill.JPG Screen Shot 2017-12-23 at 12.17.15 PM.png Screen Shot 2017-12-23 at 12.17.32 PM.png Screen Shot 2017-12-23 at 12.17.48 PM.png

Step 1 - Mill the extractor and side pocket. Step 2 - Sand the hell out of it. Step 3 - Reshaped my trigger slightly. Step 4 - Figure out how to reassemble.... Step 5 - Blue the parts and final assembly.

I wanted to clean up the Denix I had, but am not as motivated to go as far as some others here, so I came to happy medium for myself. Especially considering this one is my first Denix build. The gun came apart so simply that I did not bother to take photos of my steps, but that was a couple months ago, and now I am left trying to figure out how the trigger assembly is assembled...

I've seen disassembly videos, but the ones that I have watched do not cover well how the trigger is oriented. Can anyone clear this up to me or point me in the right direction? Real guns assemble and reassemble easier than this thing...

Last edited:
I've seen disassembly videos, but the ones that I have watched do not cover well how the trigger is oriented. Can anyone clear this up to me or point me in the right direction? Real guns assemble and reassemble easier than this thing...
Machinimax has a DL-44 video build guide. Maybe this might help?

https://youtu.be/oKvsJETeggQ

Last edited by a moderator:
The trigger basically pulls a little scoop forward that allows the hammer to fall IIRC. So the orient the spring so that on part catches on the body of the Mauser, and the little arm grips onto the trigger itself. You'll know you have it correct when the tension builds as you pull it (the spring is what returns the trigger to forward position, and keeps tension on the elbow scoop - which works effectively as a realllllly dumbed down sear. The slat w/ the post goes in over all that. In fact the post is what keeps the elbow scoop sear thing tracking properly. Keep that down, and put the upper receiver on etc. and you're good to go. There's kind of a trick to getting the slide, "firing pin", and slide lock in as well so let us know if you have any issues with that.

The trigger basically pulls a little scoop forward that allows the hammer to fall IIRC. So the orient the spring so that on part catches on the body of the Mauser, and the little arm grips onto the trigger itself. You'll know you have it correct when the tension builds as you pull it (the spring is what returns the trigger to forward position, and keeps tension on the elbow scoop - which works effectively as a realllllly dumbed down sear. The slat w/ the post goes in over all that. In fact the post is what keeps the elbow scoop sear thing tracking properly. Keep that down, and put the upper receiver on etc. and you're good to go. There's kind of a trick to getting the slide, "firing pin", and slide lock in as well so let us know if you have any issues with that.

Thanks veektohr . I also found this older thread that for some reason I didn't subscribe to? - I should have anticipated this being a chore to reassemble...

https://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=182145

After reading your post and this old thread, I did a quick rough test and I thinkkkk I understand how it reassembles now. I am thinking I will wait to try until after bluing. I have a feeling that once I get it together, I won't want to do it again LOL.

Last edited by a moderator:
There are only a few things left to do to the Denix before I can blue and start assembling, but it's a scorching 10* F outside today and about 20* in my shop. So I got as far as cutting the barrel to length and shaping the trigger a little more...

Screen Shot 2018-01-01 at 3.28.50 PM.png Screen Shot 2018-01-01 at 3.28.28 PM.png

Last edited:
Aluminum Blackened and dry-fitted... Just have to paint-up my grill. Does anyone know what shade of black to use on the grill? I was planning on using some silver primer, semi-gloss black, and then weather off some of the black.

GK Dry Fit.pngGK Grill Fit.png

Completed my first blaster over the weekend. Han Solo's DL-44 (Greedo Killer Edition).
Base: Denix w/ Denix wood grips modified with brass escutcheons.
Grill: Corillian Exports
Flash Suppressor: Real Grease Gun
Scope Bracket/Mount: Field Marshalls
Scope: Weaver 1.5 Micro-Trac w/Scope Rings

DL-44 GK_1.jpgDL-44 GK_2.jpgDL-44 GK_3.jpgDL-44 GK_4.jpg

Congrats on your first blaster build!

Constructive criticism: replace the screw under the barrel w/ a set screw which will eliminate the head showing.

Congrats on your first blaster build!

Constructive criticism: replace the screw under the barrel w/ a set screw which will eliminate the head showing.

Thanks! I completely agree and actually contemplated doing the swap while assembling. Looks like I will have to pop off that grill and make the swap!

After being away for 6 months doing home projects, I come back to my hobby to find the Denix C96 now sells for $130!? Last I checked they were still going for like $70.

Thanks Solo.....

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back