Star Wars: The Last Jedi (Pre-release)

But that's by design, not by happenstance or an effort to mirror Luke's journey. Rey is imbued with the Force for some reason we don't understand yet. She is stronger in the Force innately then Luke was and possibly his equal even now. Everyone keeps trying to jam her character into the traditional dogma of Padawan, Apprentice, Jedi knight, Jedi Master hierarchy but she clearly isn't going down that road and she doesn't understand any of it.

In the trailer she is literally asking for someone to show her her role in things, seeking knowledge from a mentor. How is that not taking a student-role?

In the trailer she is literally asking for someone to show her her role in things, seeking knowledge from a mentor. How is that not taking a student-role?

You’re conflating wanting to learn what is happening to her and to learning how to control it what is her raw ability in the Force. Asking to be trained in something that has awakened in her in such a powerful way that is beyond her comprehension makes a lot of sense. People keep trying to knock the character because she hasn’t been trained when that is actually the point in TFA.

25074919_10214597947443215_3346560135321498847_o.jpg

24993259_10214597948163233_8889748076115376660_n.jpg

Explain Ewoks, then...

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk
Thats what I'd ask Lucas himself :)

Ewoks and porgs are both merchandising.

Look, I seriously do have high hopes for TLJ, but to pretend that any director has complete reign over any Star Wars production - I don't buy it.

Sent from my SM-J727V using Tapatalk

Rian Johnson has made it clear that Porgs were inspired by the Puffins that were on Michael Skellig.

I was like, 'Oh, this is part of the island, we need to find the Star Wars version of this. And then just story-wise --- not that they play a big part in the story --- but I knew I wanted to find any source of comic relief I could on the island. And so they were very useful in terms of that.

“It wasn’t until we got the actual puppets on set and the whole crew reacted with ‘Oh my god, they’re adorable!,’ and also then a few people in the crew were of giving them that suspicious side-eye of ‘These are cute, but are they toocute?’” Johnson said. “But the overwhelming reaction on set was everybody loved the porgs. And I love ’em, so you know what? I get it if people are a little wary of cuteness in the Star Wars universe, but I personally love them, and I think they have their place in the movie.”

Last edited by a moderator:
Even if Disney counts it as canon, for anyone not liking it, just think of it as a legends type thing. So if you don't like the movie, then its not a big deal, as you still have the originals to love.

- - - Updated - - -

And while on the porg thing, they don't bother me at all. We have plenty of cute stuff here on earth, why can't Star Wars have cute stuff?

You’re conflating wanting to learn what is happening to her and to learning how to control it what is her raw ability in the Force. Asking to be trained in something that has awakened in her in such a powerful way that is beyond her comprehension makes a lot of sense. People keep trying to knock the character because she hasn’t been trained when that is actually the point in TFA.
Since what is happening to her is the force, those two things are basically the same.

Yes, asking to be trained does make a lot of sense. It also means that someone claiming she is being "jammed' into the padawan role is not making sense. She is literally asking for a teacher.

Nothing I've said could possibly be construed as a "knock" against the character.

Everybody I talked to last night said they need a second viewing, and those are also my sentiments.
There is some very good, some decent, some bad.
I did like that it was unpredictable, for the most part.

Everybody I talked to last night said they need a second viewing, and those are also my sentiments.
There is some very good, some decent, some bad.
I did like that it was unpredictable, for the most part.
That is a positive enough review for me.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

But that's by design, not by happenstance or an effort to mirror Luke's journey. Rey is imbued with the Force for some reason we don't understand yet. She is stronger in the Force innately then Luke was and possibly his equal even now. Everyone keeps trying to jam her character into the traditional dogma of Padawan, Apprentice, Jedi knight, Jedi Master hierarchy but she clearly isn't going down that road and she doesn't understand any of it.
Then it's (judging TFA alone - I will NOT entertain any "Oh, of COURSE it doesn't make sense in the movie - you need to read the novels...and see the other movies....and buy the breakfast cereal...and....either the script works as a film in its own right, or it doesn't) a crap design, because Rey has literally no arc in TFA. None. She goes from self-sufficient, bad mammajamma who can totally take care of herself, out fly, out fight, out technical, and out communicate anyone to...self-sufficient, bad mammajamma who can totally take care of herself, out fly, out fight, out technical, and out communicate anyone...but also has the Force now. Also everyone loves her. Because reasons. That are in this here big 'ol mystery box. That I'm not going to open. That in the most awesome twist of karma, JJ (having left it all hanging with no answers) is now going to have to resolve in a satisfying way. She's got no stakes, risks nothing, loses nothing, and ultimately gains nothing. It's crap writing and wastes Ridley's natural charm and a good performance.
Now, maybe, and I'm really, really hoping, (and I'm SUPER encouraged that the biggest criticism of the film so far seems to be, besides being a bit flabby in the middle...but after 40 years, who of us isn't? is that it's different and unfamiliar) that TLJ redeems that and takes us somewhere interesting, but even if it does, it doesn't change that those were bad writing choices on TFA. It just means a better filmmaker had to find a way to deal with them.

It the "big spoiler" is true, this'll be an at home watch. Star Wars used to be the only thing that could lure me into a theater anymore. Again, I'm sure it'll make oodles of cash. It just doesn't sound appealing to me anymore. The story isn't one I'm interested in.

It the "big spoiler" is true, this'll be an at home watch. Star Wars used to be the only thing that could lure me into a theater anymore. Again, I'm sure it'll make oodles of cash. It just doesn't sound appealing to me anymore. The story isn't one I'm interested in.

Same here. If true, it's unbelievably stupid and isn't even plausible.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back