Star Wars: The Force Awakens (Pre-release)

Re: Star Wars Episode VII

As of today, I am officially on spoiler lockdown. I'm unsubscribing from this thread, not clicking on any links, and hoping that in the future, Facebook posters will have the sense to be more discretionary.

I'm liking what I've seen so far, and I'm happy with the implications of it. That's all I need to tide me over. So I'm going out on a high note until the movie :cool

Well I can explain the X-wing... note that it has a shorter fuselage and TWO engines, split down the middle horizontally. This resembles early sketches by Joe Johnston for "A New Hope"

KG_JJ_SKETCHBOOK_000.jpg

...a design later dubbed the "Z-95 Headhunter" (although all the Headhunter pics I found online show it as having four engines, which I guess is an EU retcon).

split-x-star-wars-spoiler-sneak-peek-behind-the-scenes-photos-016-480w.jpg

That hog creature is just damn impressive. This movie will prove practical effects are still VERY viable and realistic over CG. This movie is going to be quite a thing to see when it comes out. Heck.. I'm just looking forward to seeing a trailer. I'll bet the look and feel of it will be much closer to the film-look of the OT than the overly polished look of the PT.

Now what would be really nice if a lot of props were "found items" instead of costum machined stuff.

I wonder... Is the Falcon going to be ACTUAL scale this time, or what we saw in ANH and TESB.?

I mean to say, that half of the Falcon was built for ANH, and the rest completed with matte paintings. I believe that TESB Falcon was similar in proportion to the half ANH Falcon.
TESB full Falcon was still not "full sized".... it had the Tardis effect, where you could not fit the interior into the exterior shell, including the cockpit.
The ROTJ Falcon was never seen on film, it was only used for the sandstorm scene, which has been relegated to the blu-ray extras.
The remainder of the Falcon ROTJ shots were mattes or models.

OK everyone, get out your internet calipers !

This is really evident in the scene where Han is working on the Falcon and screaming to Chewie "Turn it off, turn it off!" Particularly, the shots where you see Chewie actually in the full size set cockpit. It is really small and Chewie is huge in it.

This--
http://web.archive.org/web/20010330140327/www.synicon.com.au/sw/mf/falcon.htm
is a nice site for all things dealing with the size, shape and interior of the Falcon

Last edited:

This is really evident in the scene where Han is working on the Falcon and screaming to Chewie "Turn it off, turn it off!" Particularly, the shots where you see Chewie actually in the full size set cockpit. It is really small and Chewie is huge in it.

This--
STAR WARS: The Millennium Falcon
is a nice site for all things dealing with the size, shape and interior of the Falcon

I did a wee edit reducung the size of Han & Chewie:
https://vimeo.com/71841727

J

Didn´t Dave Filoni state that a lot of designs in "Rebels" is going to be based on old and unused McQuarrie designs?

Don´t get me wrong, but using REJECTED design avenues does not make this more Star Wars than the prequels.

I did expect cool, new takes on old and classic designs like the X-Wing . I mean, you could´ve enlarged the engines, made them a little rounder, updated cockpit interiors with a few lights and give the ship a few position lights that could be used as sources for lens flares in space, and ...

I keed, I keed :angel

I do hope VII's ships are not carbon copies of the OT ships - in 30 years things tend to get updated. (The one shot of the X-wing does look quite different.)

I'm getting all warm and giddy :)

I wish everyone would stop bitching though. Like I said pages earlier,no matter what they do some people are predetermined to complain. :(

Ben

Im disappointed. Its 30 years in the future and all they can do is snub the nose and redo the engines a bit. I hope the story is killer

None of that will matter if there is another Hayden Christensen like acting performance in this one. It's not unheard of for an actor to get canned in the middle of a movie, which is what bewilders me in how they didn't ****** can him half way through Episode II, instead of letting him drive the thing into the ground. Although he is not the only thing wrong with Episodes II & III, had they pulled the plug on him and got someone else in there, Ep II might not be the flaming turd it currently is today.

None of that will matter if there is another Hayden Christensen like acting performance in this one. It's not unheard of for an actor to get canned in the middle of a movie, which is what bewilders me in how they didn't ****** can him half way through Episode II, instead of letting him drive the thing into the ground. Although he is not the only thing wrong with Episodes II & III, had they pulled the plug on him and got someone else in there, Ep II might not be the flaming turd it currently is today.

He wasn't even the biggest problem with Ep 2. The issue was that GL wasn't going to fire himself.

He wasn't even the biggest problem with Ep 2. The issue was that GL wasn't going to fire himself.

Yeah I wouldn't blame the actor. He was doing things as he was told to do it. Look at the well known actors that were those films that didn't exactly have the strongest performances. Without the proper direction the acting can really go flat. I think George is the master at creating the ideas and characters. He's just not a great director and story teller.

I do hope VII's ships are not carbon copies of the OT ships - in 30 years things tend to get updated. (The one shot of the X-wing does look quite different.)

Updated probably, but not necessarily replaced. We are surrounded by aircraft and automobiles that have been flying or navigating the highways for many decades, B-52s, C5 Galaxys, Hueys, 1965 Mustangs, etc. These things tend to receive major upgrades to their electronics and other equipment, but they are not scrapped just because they're "old". Significant investments, especially into military-related craft, are made and not thrown away just because society or politics have changed. I can't imagine it would be any different in Han, Luke and Leia's galaxy. And I'm quite happy about that because although I'll be excited to see new things (and I'm sure we will), I'm STOKED to see the Falcon again. :):thumbsup

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back