ANH TIE Fighter model - 1:38 scale - KOOLSHADE test prints = SUCCESS!

cking

Sr Member
Hi everyone,

After waiting for a few years to see if Kotobukiya would ever release a TIE Fighter to go with their "1/35" scale cross-section X-Wing with diorama, it looks they're not going to do it. Therefore, I decided to commission a computer model at the correct scale so it can be printed out and assembled to compliment the Kotobukiya X-Wing that Dean Dymerski painted for me a few years back. Here's a pic of the X-Wing.

Kotobukiya-XWing.jpg

First, I did some checks to see if the Kotobukiya X-Wing was 1/35th scale as advertised. After measuring the height of the figures included with the kit, the diameter of the R2 dome, the length of the "droid strip" on the back of the fuselage and some other key measurements, it became apparent that the scale of the ship (based primarily on the size of the figures and R2 dome) is actually 1/38.

Next, I was able to get measurements from the eFX TIE and decided that since the pilot in the ILM miniatures was 1/24 scale, the rest of the ship should be the same scale. Sure, I know there's "official" dimensions for how big the TIE is supposed to be according to Lucasfilm but I wanted the size of the ships to relate back to the pilot figures inside them. After getting all the key measurements that I needed from the 1/24 scale model, I worked out the scale factor to reduce everything down to the desired 1/38.

Here's a couple of renders showing the X-Wing (scaled to match the size of the Kotobukiya model) and the TIE next to it.

01-ANH-TIE.jpg

02-ANH-TIE.JPG

This looked great to me so I decided to go for it. Because this isn't a studio scale model, I wanted to put an accurate cockpit interior inside. Here's a render that was created from the blueprints of the full size set that the actors were filmed inside.

03-ANH-TIE.jpg

Next up, work was started on modelling the computer version of the 1/24 studio scale kit utilising measurements to match the diameter of the cockpit ball used by ILM and the thickness of the styrene "plating" they put onto it.
Here's a render showing the 1/24 model with the scaled down 1/38 version that we'll be printing.

04-ANH-TIE.jpg

For the past couple of weeks detailing has been added to the model and it's being prepped to make it "print ready". Note that the Koolshade panels aren't shown in the renders because it slows down the rendering time. Originally, we were thinking of creating the wings the same way as the 1/24 model but after thinking about it from an ease of assembly and painting point of view, we decided to use the same sort of technique that Fine Molds did on their 1/48 kit. Basically, there will be a black Koolshade panel with all the segments of Koolshade on one piece with recessed grooves in the panel which the "wing stars" and surrounding frames will fix into after the Koolshade panel is painted. The scaled down Koolshade panel will still be "sandwiched" between the wing stars, it just won't be done in separate segments. This means that the Koolshade can be painted black and the wing stars / framework can be painted haze gray separately, then stuck together after painting to avoid any tricky masking. Great!

Here's a couple of renders showing the de-constructed model.

05-ANH-TIE.jpg

06-ANH-TIE.jpg

I wasn't sure what to do about the pilot because the figure included in the cockpit interior render was basic and not ready to be printed. It looked like I would have to get one sculpted but then I stumbled across some pics of the pilot figure from the Revell "Easy kit" TIE. Since it was a cheap kit, I picked one up and to my amazement, the size of the pilot is pretty much exactly the same scale as the pilot in the Kotobukiya X-Wing! (It's worth noting that even though the Revell pilot figure is 1/38 scale, the actual ship is undersized compared to the size of the figure, so I couldn't just display the Revell TIE next to the Kotobukiya X-Wing)!

Should be ready for printing in the next week or two so I'll show some pics of the parts when they're done. Looking forward to this!

Chris

Last edited:
Re: 1/38 scale ANH TIE FIGHTER (companion piece to Kotobukiya cross section X-WING)

Very cool idea. Always wanted to get the Kot x-wing but really didnt want all the grounds stuff.

Re: 1/38 scale ANH TIE FIGHTER (companion piece to Kotobukiya cross section X-WING)

Thanks man. Looks like you and me are the only ones interested in this. LOL. I didn't care for the ground stuff either which is why I opted to have my Koto X-Wing displayed in flight mode on a stand.

Very cool idea. Always wanted to get the Kot x-wing but really didnt want all the grounds stuff.

- - - Updated - - -

Here's a cross-section of the cockpit ball (with a photo of the Revell Easy Kit TIE pilot in place to make sure everything is scaled correctly).

10-TIE Cockpit Section 2.jpg

Last edited:
Re: ANH TIE Fighter model (companion piece to Kotobukiya cross section X-WING)

Funny, that looks almost spacious.

Very interested in seeing your TIE get 3D printed....

-MJ

great work on this.i've been interested in scratchbuilding a tie fighter in approx 1/32 or 1/35 to display with a few other star wars ships i'm starting to work on.:thumbsup

I always hoped Kotobukiya to make a TIE Fighter diorama as companion piece for their already released X-Wing. This project looks really cool!! :thumbsup Will be following

Thanks guys - glad there's some love for this project. It's something I've wanted to do for a few years now. I'm happy to say that the computer model is looking fantastic! Lots of detailing has been done on the wing stars and wing hub to make it as accurate as possible.

Here's some pics showing a comparison between the 1:24 studio scale cockpit ball and the scaled down 1:38 version to show the relative size difference. I've also posted a pic showing the 1:38 scale wing printed out at full size compared to the wing from the Revell Easy Kit TIE (which is the kit that I've taken the pilot figure from). It's amazing to see how undersized Revell made their version compared to the pilot figure that they used which is definitely around 1:38 scale.

I'm really thrilled with the size of this. It will fit inside the IKEA Detolf shelf beautifully and will be a great companion for the Kotobukiya X-Wing.

SAM_2590.JPG

SAM_2593.JPG

SAM_2597.JPG

SAM_2599.JPG

Last edited:
ANH TIE Fighter model (companion piece to Kotobukiya cross section X-WING)

Really cool project Chris! I always dreamd of Tamiya putting out 1:32 line of Star Wars models, this is certainly close to that dream! So much easier to display then studio sized models and more room for "artistic" improvments that one might think twice about doing to a studio subject.

The attention to details on this project is incredible, you haven't missed a thing. Then again I would never expect anything less from a project handled by you!

Can't wait to see the finished parts!

Oh,BTW. You're already secretly working on an Interceptor upgrade kit, aren't you! Come on, you're already half way there! I know you gave up your "only ANH rule" years ago. ;)

Cheers,
Steve

Last edited:

Hi Steve,

Thanks for your kind words and great to see such love for the project from a fantastic modeller like yourself. If only I'd got the funds to do a lot more of these ships at the same scale. I'd love to do the Y-Wing too but that would take some pretty intense computer modelling with all the pipework and greeblies on the main hull and engines!

Final detailing work is being done on the wings and main hull but hopefully I'll have some renders of the finished computer model to share soon. We've ordered a test print of the Koolshade panels to see how well the detail turns out when it's printed. Fingers crossed it will be ok!

Cheers,

Chris

Really cool project Chris! I always dreamd of Tamiya putting out 1:32 line of Star Wars models, this is certainly close to that dream! So much easier to display then studio sized models and more room for "artistic" improvments that one might think twice about doing to a studio subject.

The attention to details on this project is incredible, you haven't missed a thing. Then again I would never expect anything less from a project handled by you!

Can't wait to see the finished parts!

Oh,BTW. You're already secretly working on an Interceptor upgrade kit, aren't you! Come on, you're already half way there! I know you gave up your "only ANH rule" years ago. ;)

Cheers,
Steve

Great news guys! We received the test print of the 1:38 scale Koolshade today and it's turned out REALLY nice!
Not long before we can get the rest of this model printed and assembled. Here's the Koolshade test prints (remember - this is 1:38 scale folks, not full size Koolshade. Hard to believe when you look at the pics) !

01-Koolshade-Test-Print-220514.JPG

02-Koolshade-Test-Print-220514.JPG

Here's another exciting update! This is the latest render showing how far all the detailing has got. Not too much longer now. Just the little greeblies to finish off on the main hull now. Can't wait to see this printed out!

15-220514-preview.jpg

I can't believe I missed tis thread for so long...

SMOKIN'

But seeing as the Koto kit is supposed to be a rebel hanger dio - a matching Y would have been what I would have expect4d not the TIE... But This is SUPER Cool. Damn I wish I could 3d model... is there a cheatsheet somewhere on good tools and tutorial on 3D modeling to get my feet wet? I'm pretty good with computers just never had the opportunity to get into the 3d modeling....

Jedi Dade

Glad you found the thread and like what you're seeing. My Koto X-Wing is displayed on a stand in flight mode. I didn't bother with all the ground crew / diorama stuff because I wanted to display just the ship. I wanted a TIE to display next to it hence the reason doing this project. I agree that it would be cool to have a Y-Wing too but I think that would require some extensive computer modelling and my funds can't run to commission that sort of project at the moment.

Cheers,

Chris

I can't believe I missed tis thread for so long...

SMOKIN'

But seeing as the Koto kit is supposed to be a rebel hanger dio - a matching Y would have been what I would have expect4d not the TIE... But This is SUPER Cool. Damn I wish I could 3d model... is there a cheatsheet somewhere on good tools and tutorial on 3D modeling to get my feet wet? I'm pretty good with computers just never had the opportunity to get into the 3d modeling....

Jedi Dade

Sorry - I wasn't clear - I meant it would've made sense for Koto to make a Y to complete the rebel hanger dio... I totally get the flight more. 99% of my models are fliers :) I like them in action :thumbsup

Jedi Dade

Next up, work was started on modelling the computer version of the 1/24 studio scale kit utilising measurements to match the diameter of the cockpit ball used by ILM and the thickness of the styrene "plating" they put onto it.

Cracking job so far Chris,
Care to elaborate on how you came to the dimensions of the Tie Ball? What sources lead you to the fact they plated two 5" hemi's?

Rob

Thanks Rob,

That info came from one of the studio scale TIE threads. I believe that it was confirmed by swpropmaker. I remember trawling through lots of different threads until I found it.

Cheers,

Chris

Cracking job so far Chris,
Care to elaborate on how you came to the dimensions of the Tie Ball? What sources lead you to the fact they plated two 5" hemi's?

Rob

Chris, that is def awesome. It´s projects like this that show how far we are these days in creating almost everything hobby related that we want.
And it shows that having koolshade grown does not necessarily take months :p What I don´t get, though, is why didn´t you just had the area of ks grown that is needed for a wing? Is it "for the feeling that we now have miniaturized sheets of koolshade"? :p

And on what printer was the koolshade grown? The resolution looks to be a bit rough. The shapeways frosted ultra high detail is def worth the money.

There hasn't been much to report lately because the computer modeller has been working on other projects unfortunately.
However, we did get the cockpit seat and console printed and I just received them so I could make sure that the pilot figure fitted correctly. His arms need to be bent in so that his hands are holding the controls but apart from that, I think it turned out pretty well.

2014-07-26-10103.jpg

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back