Wasan 1628 (Billing Boats Vasa ship) FINISHED

Re: Wasan 1628 (Billing Boats Vasa ship)

It looks as if the 1:10 museum replica's cannon decks follow the curvature of the top deck and the planking. Is this true with the actual vessel?

TazMan2000

It looks as if the 1:10 museum replica's cannon decks follow the curvature of the top deck and the planking. Is this true with the actual vessel?

TazMan2000
Yeah the decks follow the same curvature, but the lines are not perfect, and are somewhat assymetrical according to the plans made by Fred Hocker. The original ship is quite assymetrical all together (something that I love). I remember reading somewhere that this curvature on ships gave the construction strenght but also gave the crew problems with moving the cannons,

The Billing boats design gives me problems here as their plank line is different from the real ships. Adding a second layer of planks could help this, but would give me other problems. Hopefully I can work it out later on.

Cheers

Wow, glad I ducked my head in here. Fantastic job, Matti! A nice "break" from SW-themed modeling but still just as, if not a more interesting a subject to tackle because of your connection to its history. My brother and I started out scratchbuilding New England lobster boats from balsa wood way back when, he graduated onto r/c boats (along with aircraft) and I got interested in Star Wars stuff. Awesome work so far!

Thanks for the nice comments Metal Wood and Matt!

Wow, glad I ducked my head in here. Fantastic job, Matti! A nice "break" from SW-themed modeling but still just as, if not a more interesting a subject to tackle because of your connection to its history. My brother and I started out scratchbuilding New England lobster boats from balsa wood way back when, he graduated onto r/c boats (along with aircraft) and I got interested in Star Wars stuff. Awesome work so far!

Matt, the aestechics of the shipbuilding of that age has so much in common with the ILM models. Wonky, beautyful, and with great personality. I always loved the Wasa and found myself drawn in more and more as I decided to have a go at building her. There are many great books about her, and the interest widened to the 30 Year War and the history of the 1600 in general. Fascinating stuff! For example Im starting to notice styles and themes in the sculptures in the local church, something I never even used to notice before.

GustavIIAdolf.jpg

For me it is more interesting as I feel I get a better understanding for the life of our ancestors and the struggle to make what I take for granted.

I must admit the Disney stuff has cooled down my SW fire quite a bit wich feels strange as I had the passion since a small kid. I have still kept the stuff to see if the interest kicks back in eventually.

Cheers

Snyggt!! Sen kan du få hjälpa mig med ett Jabba Sail Barge!! :lol

Snyggt!! Sen kan du få hjälpa mig med ett Jabba Sail Barge!! :lol

Tack! Med tanke på att skeppet ska riggas så kommer du ha hunnit bygga klart Jabbas Sail Barge flera gånger om innan jag är klar. ;)

Thanks Mike! Yeah she has a small butt, but the model is 1 meter long and tall, so Im glad she isnt bigger.

Ive done some work here and there on here and also started on the wales, and with them in place Im adjusting the gunports, rehaping and resizing them. The ones on the upper deck are smaller, and the individual ports differ in size. And thats not all, the different sides have differences in the gunports also.

Anyway, here are a few pictures:

gunportsMvs1to10B.jpgwasan48.jpg

I will rework the gunports some more, and then glue tha rest of the wales in place.

Cheers

Ive started with the paintjob. Im inspired by the artist Vroom and the way he paints his ships. I wanted to get some ILM vibe in her paint also.

Cheers

wasan52.jpgwasan53.jpg

Cheers mate! Gonna take a while to get her where I want. Painting Slave 1 is nothing compaired to painting this.

That's good you're getting better, but stay away from breathing in sawdust and chemicals that can make your situation worse.

TazMan2000

Here is some update pics. The planks are painted in different shades of red to give it life and scale. The doors in the bow area are made thinner than the kits to make it thinner in details and closer to the original.

Cheers

wasan60.jpgwasan61.jpgwasan62.jpgwasan63.jpgwasan64.jpg

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back