Wasan 1628 (Billing Boats Vasa ship) FINISHED

Re: Wasan 1628 (Billing Boats Vasa ship)

Excellent, Nazgul! There's really something about real wood , right? Now I want to build a ship.I just realized something. It doesn't matter what I'm building. I always wish I was building something else.

Thanks! :cheers Yeah, wood is quite different to work with. Im getting bit by the bug.

Planked the lover stern area. A little work to get the planks to fit around the custom gun ports. Im trying to get a rough look on her. Also painted it to give the project a boost. First I stained in 2 oak mixes. Then acrylics for some nuances and shading. Then pastels in 3 browns and red. Finally a coat of flat varnish bounding the pastels and giving it a good surface.

/Matti

Attachments

• wasan28.jpg
    wasan28.jpg
    147.4 KB · Views: 410
  • wasa stern.jpg
    wasa stern.jpg
    181.1 KB · Views: 468

Thanks Mike!

Here are some progress pics. Also a pic showing Vasas bow and the look I want on my model.

Cheers

wasan31.jpgwasan30.jpg

ms ref vasa 16.jpg

It must be very challenging work to get the ship look like that.
When it's done, it would be beautiful. Great work so far!

Some progress. A lot to do at work at the moment but hopefully itll calm down soon.

Thanks

wasan32.jpgwasan33.jpgwasan34.jpgwasan35.jpg

Ooo! You didn't tell us it was going to be lighted. Are you going to light the big lantern on the aft end as well?

Could be cool, so maybe Ill change my mind later on.

Did the last planks on the hull:

wasan36.jpgwasan37.jpgwasan38.jpgNo, I dont plan to light it.

Cheers Mike, Katsu and Taz!

I got questions on another board about the gun port positions. I tried to look at the official plans and the gun port plans made by Mr Fred Hocker at the museum when making them. The gun ports are quite random and not symmetrical in their position, and they are not the same on both sides. The dutch ships of this era seem to have been built pretty much by the eye, they didnt even have plans and on Vasa they found measure rods with several different systems, as the builders were from different countries. I just love the soul it gives them. I did my best but hope I didnt overdo their wonkyness.

To me the gun ports on the 1:10 model at the museum looks right:

vasa1till10.jpg

Thanks

/Matti

Last edited:
This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back