Doctor Who opinions

Well, he is the guy that created the Teletubby Daleks, gave them names like 'Eternal' and then said, on record, "I don't know what that means, but it sounds cool"

Technically, the multicolored Daleks go back to the 2nd Peter Cushing Dr. Who movie (about an earth doctor whose last name is "Who" apparently). But yeah, that's Moffat alright. He so needs limits imposed upon him.

I'm just waiting for the bit where The Master (Simm) confirms on-screen that Missy (Gomez) really and truly is his future incarnation.
Then I will bathe in the tears of the (sexist) babies that wanted to insist that Missy had to be The Rani, or Susan or Romana or any other female character because "The Master can't be a woman!"

Unless, of course, Moffat does pull a fast one, which he'd probably try to pass off as 'clever writing' but we all know is really making it up as he goes.

Missy is definitely the future incarnation of the Master. As Michelle is leaving when Peter leaves, if John Simms is in the Christmas Special then it might make it a "three Master" episode as it's been leaked that the Master will be regenerating as well!

Possible spoilers ahead, don't watch if you want to remind pure and unsullied!

Last edited by a moderator:
Am I allowed to be a tiny bit smug? Maybe, but I was right - Simm's Master did, indeed, confirm Missy is his future self.... even if she does seem to have (temporarily?) forgotten having a hand in the Genesis of the Cybermen.

Also: What have they done to Bill! Nooo! Do they have any idea of the riots they'll cause if they've killed off the first POC Lesbian companion in the show's history? On the other hand, maybe ​a cyber-conversion this primitive can be undone? She does still have her face (and tears) under that mask.

Last edited:
They seemed to show her in a human form in one of the trailers, unless that was a flashback of some kind.

Spoilers!! This hasn't even aired in the States yet!

Oh you're going to love it. That awesome moment when Mal walks in and you realise that the BBC have made a Doctor Who/Firefly crossover - I literally jumped up out of my seat and started fist-bumping the air. Casting Benedict Cucumberpatch as a clone of Sherlock Holmes reawakened in the 22nd Century was a stroke of genius.

Last edited:
Spoilers!! This hasn't even aired in the States yet!

And yet you chose to open a thread where people talk about Doctor who after its aired in England?

Noone in the marvel and DC tv shows threads waits for people in England to see the episode before they talk about it, and why would they?

If you enjoy Doctor Who in other countries, that's great, but don't tell the people in the country where its made they can't talk about it until its been shown in america.

Noone in the marvel and DC tv shows threads waits for people in England to see the episode before they talk about it, and why would they?
This is a good point. There are times when I've had to.. um.. creatively find a way to see an episode of my favourite shows before it airs here, just because of the unavoidable spoilers.

And yet you chose to open a thread where people talk about Doctor who after its aired in England?

If you enjoy Doctor Who in other countries, that's great, but don't tell the people in the country where its made they can't talk about it until its been shown in america.

This is a good point. There are times when I've had to.. um.. creatively find a way to see an episode of my favourite shows before it airs here, just because of the unavoidable spoilers.

This is not a spoiler thread, many movies have threads clearly marked post-release (spoiler) titles. This forum even has spoiler tags for use in cases like this - it's just common sense and good manners.

I know Doctor Who airs earlier in the UK than in the US. I don't have a running clock telling me that the program had aired - I opened the RPF on a Saturday afternoon at work and didn't expect a blatant spoiler to pop up in the way it did - that's not usually how the RPF works.

I'm not telling anyone from anywhere that they can't discuss any certain thing. The chest beating that the program is from the UK is just a trite and meaningless point.

Perhaps Vivek can clarify the spoiler policy a little more clearly for us.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is not a spoiler thread, many movies have threads clearly marked post-release (spoiler) titles. This forum even has spoiler tags for use in cases like this - it's just common sense and good manners.

I know Doctor Who airs earlier in the UK than in the US. I don't have a running clock telling me that the program had aired - I opened the RPF on a Saturday afternoon at work and didn't expect a blatant spoiler to pop up in the way it did - that's not usually how the RPF works.

I'm not telling anyone from anywhere that they can't discuss any certain thing. The chest beating that the program is from the UK is just a trite and meaningless point.

Perhaps @Vivek can clarify the spoiler policy a little more clearly for us.

I have had a look through other threads, no tv show discussion has the word spoiler in the title, also I don't see any movie threads with spoiler in the title either, people just know that in post release threads, people who have seen the film will be talking about what happened in the film, and its the same with tv.

You say its not how the RPF works, but really it is, its just how the RPF usually works in in your favour, and on this one occasion it is not.

Doctor Who is probably the only program at the moment that people are watching here that comes on in a different country other than america, if noone in america has to use spoiler code to discuss a program that has already aired, why should people in britain have to?

No more meaningless than complaining its not been shown in america yet, is america the only important country?

Well of course it is! :) :) (kidding)

I think people just forget it airs there 7-10 hours before it does here. Not to mention, the US comments likely stem from the fact the majority of members are from here. Doesn't make it right, but it's a reason...Be nice if the forum cold stick a warning in the thread every saturday reminding people of the time differences.

In the past i've come in here on a saturday, started reading only to realize it already aired in england and I simply forgot - at which point i'm pissed at me for forgetting, not at anyone else for commenting. That said, though, in a couple of the other threads pertaining to US shows- people complain we should use spoiler tags until it airs wherever else. Bigger problem there is it isn't 8 hours later, sometimes its many weeks. I point to this thread and say no one does it here :)

Now, forget all that - i want to hear thoughts :)

I knew about Simm earlier but forgot - but someone posted the giant photo above - i figured out it was him after his first or second appearance. I DID forget about the cyberman, so that was a cool surprise. I liked a lot of the creepy and horror aspects of it. They're all in pain, wanting to die, etc.

I know Moffat will turn it all into a mostly happy ending, Bill will be saved, etc. But i think it'd be a great turn if she was either permanently a cyberman or dies. Mainly because it seems no one of import ever dies. Couldn't kill rose, she lived safely in another dimension or whatever it was, then was able to come back over at will, Amy/Rory couldn't die, they got stuck back in old NYC and lived happy lives (supposedly anyhow), clara couldn't die, she annoying became immortal it seems, then the other chick DID become immortal. Kind of a pattern really. Every Mofftat companion (i know Rose wasn't his) faces death, yet dodges it at the end. So, Bill dying or becoming a cyberman would re-inforce the danger that's faced in travelling the universe.

As for Missy - ever since the introduction of the Master during Pertwee's tenure - i thought those two (specifically) worked extremely well together when the situation arose and it's something not really seen until now. I'm going to guess the at the end, Missy flips to the doctor's side and winds up taking one for the doctor, who then takes down Simm, but is mortally wounded in the process leading to the scene they opened with and that he's down on his knees due the emotional pain of losing missy and not from his wounds.

Well I am still waiting for british TV to show season 3 of Gotham, so I'm not going to take anyone to task for talking about the episode.

Personally I think the TV and film threads should be the same, if its been on, its fair game, and its up to our own collective will powers to not go into those threads and see what we dont want to see.

Now as for the show, I don't think they will have the balls to kill Bill, (pun intended), even though she is not meant to be in the new series, I think the Doctor might syphon off some of his regeneration energy to heal her like he did with River's broken arm.

And they have already played the false regeneration card this year, so I'll be pissed if its another fake out.

I think Missy will join with the doctor, and the master will kill her for it, he'd rather be dead than good, even though from the next time bit, all three of them were together at one point.

Maybe in anger the doctor kills the Master, and he regenerates, into Missy, so literally the first thing she sees is her own dead body.

Probably nothing like that though, as there are rumours of both the Doctor and Missy regenerating in the Christmas special.

OK, real thoughts:
The slow sinister build-up, the whole creepy hospital and weird experiments would have been a LOT more effective if they'd managed to keep the Mondasian Cybermen secret. (How they'd do that nowdays, I dunno). BUT it was still pretty darned atmospheric
That said, I really didn't spot the Master until just before the reveal. I knew the accent was fake and there was a lot of prosthetic make-up so I was idly wondering which actor was under there and why he was familiar. (At one point I thought maybe Paul Kaye)
Missy trolling Bill with the whole 'Doctor Who' shtick is blatantly Moffat trolling the fans.

I have had a look through other threads, no tv show discussion has the word spoiler in the title, also I don't see any movie threads with spoiler in the title either, people just know that in post release threads, people who have seen the film will be talking about what happened in the film, and its the same with tv.
People use spoiler tags - that's why spoiler tags were implemented on this this. Movie threads - when discussion warrants - have pre and post-release threads; post-release for the obvious spoiler threads. This has worked in numerous cases.

You say its not how the RPF works, but really it is, its just how the RPF usually works in in your favour, and on this one occasion it is not.
I say there is generally common sense, good intentions and civility on the RPF. Sometimes you get the people with a blatant disregard for others - generally, the people here can be pleasant when it comes to spoilers and the like. It's unfortunate that this isn't the case.

Doctor Who is probably the only program at the moment that people are watching here that comes on in a different country other than america, if noone in america has to use spoiler code to discuss a program that has already aired, why should people in britain have to?
I'm not sure if this a xenophobic thing or what. I think a spoiler warning (and the very simple spoiler code) should be used for any program or movie for a reasonable amount of time after it has aired - regardless of its origin - people work and do things - it's more than fair to give (minimally) a day or two to catch up. This also might be for our British friends that might not be home on a Saturday evening to catch the initial viewing.

I'm not going to try and ruin someone else's enjoyment of something just because it might be an American property and aired in the US first - I'm not sure why you seem to think it's okay for you to do so. I - and many others - post in correct threads and use spoiler tags when applicable... I'm not sure why this shouldn't apply to you just because you're from the UK and Doctor Who aired there first.

Last edited:
Talking about a program with other people in a thread about that program would not be a problem if people who haven't watched it just stayed out of it until they had.

Sent from my BLU LIFE MARK using Tapatalk

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back