Pirates Of The Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales

Jack never says he made the finger bone dangle. Just got done watching On Stranger Tides and there is nothing in the film that states he made it. I know it was in the script and all but since in never made it into the film, it doesn't actually affect the scene in Dead Men at all. Jack just went back to using an older charm.

Regarding the compass, who knows? All I can guess is that somewhere between that flashback and Curse of the Black Pearl, Jack lost the compass and Tia Dalma came into possession of it and he was forced to barter for it's return.

Davy Jones and the Dutchman is still a mystery. Maybe since a goddess placed the curse as a punishment, it cannot simply be broken. Maybe it can only be transferred and since Wil's curse was broken (and since it was never a punishment for him) it reverted to Jones and resurrected him. We have seen people return from the dead multiple times in this series. As you said, the dutchman serves an important purpose and needs a captain.

I'm not sure how I feel about the Barbossa and Carina thing but I have no problem accepting that it's possible that he tried to settle down a bit after At World's End. We know that at least 19 years have passed since the battle with Beckett, so, that's plenty of time for everything to fit into place.

http://pirates.wikia.com/wiki/Jack_Sparrow's_bone_trinket

Jack's own tooth is part of that trinket. Watched DMTNT again and yup, the tooth is there. Good grief, writers. As far as the "who knows," it ain't them.

And as for Barbossa, sure, maybe he might have had a fling, but how would Jack have known about it? Jack makes such a big deal about *both* of them knowing a "Smyth" whereas in reality, those two would never have been near each other that casually before, during, or after the Beckett storyline. Either they're enemies, rivals, tentative allies, and back to being rivals.

I could swallow Davy Jones being resurrected to continue the Dutchman's duty, except the ship reflects how he is. Remember, it was a clean, white ship once, and only became decrepit and overgrown as Jones allowed it to become by using it for his own purposes. The Dutchman at the end of DMTNT is back to its original state, so Jones being tentacle-ly is an oversight at best, and a major contradiction at worst.

Just... no consistency.

There is a tooth, yes, but nothing in the films state that it's his tooth. Nothing.

As for the rest, you've obviously have made up your mind about the film and nothing will change it.

I for one enjoyed the film and can see a great many ways it ties into all four films without breaking continuity.

I enjoyed it for what it was....a good, old-fashioned, swashbuckling pirate film; after all, it's all just fantasy anyway, so who cares if there's plot gaps and holes? :)

Bring on Number 6! :D

Rob

I just saw this yesterday.

It is just as terrible as the fourth one, with the exception of the third act. This one did it better.

You know, in this thread Cpt Jack mentioned the giant wheel scene in Dead Man's chest. I said I liked that one until that scene. Because it was so absurd. With this movie, I felt as if the screenwriters read my mind regarding that scene and said "hold my beer!" :facepalm

Now. These are just my thoughts about the whole movie, include spoilers.
I hate how they killed off my favorite pirate. The only authentic, capable pirate. :(

Jack is annoying in this one, more so than he may have been in the previous movies. Completely useless as well once again, just like in the fourth movie. And also like the fourth movie, he's taken on this movie's adventure by other people. He's just there. Being dragged along. Being an immense wacky idiot with no ambition of his own. It's overdone and not funny anymore.

The undead, ghost villain Salazar and his crew. Probably the worst of the villains so far. They're overpowered. They're ghosts ffs. They can go through objects but can still hold swords and still bother to have sword fights to kill people. They also have the same dry land weakness as Davy Jones. This created such a completely boring villain for me. The time devoted to them on screen is spent more on Salazar not shutting up about Jack. Javier Bardem gave a great performance and his character's dialogue felt like an improvement over Ian McShane's Blackbeard. It was great but it felt like a waste.

Will's son Henry. And Carina Smith. The movie is about a boy who wants to save his cursed dad, and believes in the legend of Jack Sparrow, something you'd have thought his mother Elizabeth would've taught him was a big lie. Carina Smith. Wants to prove she's a smart woman, learn about who she is because her dad left behind a map to the magical object that will prove her capability or something, the same object Henry is looking for to save Will. She's not useless and her character is pretty cool, but Henry, Carina, Will, and Elizabeth...none of them had to be in the fifth POTC movie. It is unfortunate that when you've run out of adventures for Jack to have, you have to bring in new characters to drag him along on their s͏hitshow.

Plot holes and continuity mistakes. There are a lot of the latter.

The only positive new thing about this movie was Carina. There's potential for her to be a great pirate, but I'd rather her, Henry, Will and Elizabeth not be in any other POTC movies since she and Henry are in a relationship at the end of this movie. And that guy sucks. He should be about the same age adult Will was in COTBP, and Will was much better at that age than Henry is. I like that Gibbs is still in it. And that Marty returned. And Scrum grew on me. For the next one, they should drop the blonde highlights Jack has and give him some nice old man silver streaks. If you consider the past movies, he should be a lot older than he looks in the movie. Gibbs would probably be dead! One last thing, they should not bring back Davy Jones. Whatever it was at the end, it shouldn't be Davy Jones. It should be something else. This movie made such a mess of the franchise with all its continuity mistakes.

So... finally watched it. I can agree with ALOT of what's been said above. I did enjoy this a lot more than the 4th one, I can say that. For some reason I felt the CGI etc for Salazar did not look good during day time scenes. I wasn't clear on why the compass was tied into Salazar's curse or how he even knew Jack's name much less could give him a nickname that somehow stuck with Jack the rest of his life.

What happened to Will's dad?

Why bother developing David Wenham's Scarfield character when he was essentially thrown away.

Anyone else notice that there have been less and less actual sword fights? Jack has a weird spinny fight with Angelica that you can barely tell what's going on in OST and the final sword fight scene was abysmal. Then in DMTNT he barely does any fighting at all, even in the final show down fight. What kind of a pirate movie has hardly any sword fighting?

Compare that to COTBP, DMC and even AWE. Jack actively takes part in fairly epic sword fights, even if the final one was mostly against a CGI squid man. But I'm not even sure what was going on in the final fight scene of DMTNT aside from Jack running, and screaming a lot.

They had ALOT of callbacks to the first movie. Not sure why they didn't capitalize on that. They missed the entire opportunity for him to say, "You look familiar, have I threatened you before?" in the jail cell, and did he say his catch phrase, "you will always remember this day as the day you almost caught captain Jack Sparrow"?

Speaking of Jack.... what's up with Depp's voice and accent? He seems very nasally and higher pitched for this one. Just like in OST I feel that Jack has no edge whatsoever. He doesn't seem dangerous, or even capable of anything. At least in the first three he seemed dangerous and capable at times and even left you in doubt as to if he was a good guy or not. These last two movies, he's just a clown that won't hurt anyone. He's wearing so much kit that I can't even imagine how he can even sit down... he must weigh 50 pounds extra.

Last edited:
This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back