Upgraded Eleventh Doctor CO Sonic Screwdriver (pic heavy)

Renaissance Jed

While the CO version of the 11th Doctor's is one of the best so far when comparing it to the size of the actual prop, I was bummed when I realized it had several flaws. The issues with this CO screwdriver is that one must press a button to extend it, and once extended, the main activation switch cannot be used. Instead, the sonic, in it's extended position, must be activated with a red button under the end cap. Using this red button results in the sonic screwdriver being held in an awkward way.
So I upgraded the toy. Now the sonic screwdriver is held closed by two magnets within the body, one needs only to flick the screwdriver as Matt Smith does to extend it, and all of the light and sounds are activated by one switch. The one issue is that in the conversion process the body got a little beat up, but this doesn't bother me.
11th sonic 001.JPG
11th sonic 002.JPG
11th sonic 005.JPGI also glued tiny pieces of cardboard under each claw in order to clamp them more closely to the emitter when closed.
11th sonic 006.JPG
11th sonic 008.JPG
11th Sonic Upgrade 001.JPG
11th Sonic Upgrade 002.JPG
11th Sonic Upgrade 004.JPG

Plus a video:
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10152536934632334&set=vb.288269321306218&type=3&theater

Aaargh. You win some you lose some. This one's better without the damn button but the touch control function has me worried that it could get messed up by grinding out the hole to add the proper tac switch. Claws and emitter seem to have remained the same so you'd still need to do the requisite mods on those. Could be an easier mod though if the internal buttons line up better :D

Why did you remove the red button on the bottom? I know everyone likes to give CO crap about putting it there, but it actually is on the prop...

Read Rubbertoe Replicas page on the 11th sonic history. The original was meant to be extended with your fingers, and when in closed mode, meant to be activated from the bottom, held over the shoulder, CSI torch style. It was not made for the flick Matt then used, which is why it got broken a lot. The first episode filmed was time of angels/flesh and stone, and in this episode, he "sonics" River from the back button. Also in this episode it extended all the way to the top. when Matt started to flick it and it broke, rivets were added for strength and to minimize force needed to flick it, it got stopped at half way. Matt also had complaints that he had to hold the screwdriver awkwardly to keep the lid shut, and in some shots in other stories, some of the other sonics caps had broken off! so they decided to re place the switch on the handle and glue the lids shut. Since then, Nick Robatto has made more sonics for Capaldi, and used a screw-thread construction stop stop the cap popping off and the whole thing flying apart, this is the model he is now selling.

I would recommend using a heat gun (hair dryers work rather well too) to heat up the glue holding the copper ring on. This will allow you to slide the ring off without damaging it. As for opening the bottom half, once the ring is off, you can pry it apart. If you look at mine, one of the halves broke near the bottom. This is fine and is not visible once the sonic is reassembled.

Actually, I find prying the collar and button case off with a flat bladed knife works better, do it gently around the edge and you will hear a series of snaps, which is the cheap glue cracking, and after that, their is no residue and it can easily be pulled on and off. look at votesaxon07's mods and the way he does it. you can take off the bottom, and not damage the screwdriver in any way. Thanks, hope this helps!

the only thing I'd to to that is take the spring out. take the top and bottom off using a flat blade knife, open up the case, pull out the spring from the pegs at the bottom, leave the red button in there as it will allow you to hold it vertical in extended mode. now you can activate it up or down, and can flick it open to extend it like in the show. unless you want it to activate at any length, in which case follow votesaxon07's tutorials on youtube, he takes two soncs and takes the back halves of them to create a smooth grip, then drills a hole for the tac switch.

The 12th Doctor SINGLE BUTTON version does not have the red button. That being said, the insides may not even be the same as the previous version.

I have the single button sonic and it seems that the bottom is just empty. I have been wanting to mod the sonic so I can flick it, Have you made any progress?

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back