Captain America: The Winter Soldier (Pre-release)

Re: Captain America: The Winter Soldier

cofphoto did you go to the London premiere? I'm so gutted I didn't go. I have my costume finished too but I live in North Wales getting there was way too awkward. After seeing photos and clips from the premiere I really wish I went now.

Still got 5 days left till we get the film. I'm as excited, if not more, for this film that I was for Avengers Assemble!!

Last edited by a moderator:

No I went to one of the ten advanced screenings they had last night in the US (I went to the one in San Diego).

If you've never been to an advanced screening, that's how it works...they give out about two or three times as many tickets as there are seats in the theater. They want to be 100% certain it's totally full.

Our movie started at 7:30 and I was there at 1pm to make sure we got in and got good seats. It wasn't a very big theater, and there were a lot of people who didn't get in. I've been to 3 of these now, and if you aren't there at least 2.5 - 3 hours early, forget about it.

Hope you had better luck than I did. I got to the theatre an hour and a half early, only to find Marvel had given out, god know HOW MANY MORE TICKETS than there were seats in the theatre, and with 90 minutes still left before the movie, there were already at LEAST 100 people there who could NOT get in! God only knows how many more showed up in that hour and a half remaining, only to get turned away like I was.

I understand if Marvel anticipated some No Shows, but this was ridiculous. What a collosal waste of some many people's time and effort, not to mention a huge disappointment. It left a bad taste in my mouth.

Nope I ended up deciding not to go. That's generally how these things are though, if I went I would've left LA at lunch time and get down there 5 hrs before the screening. When I did the Avengers advanced screening at the same theater, I got there about 4 hrs ahead, and that was a 9am screening.

I went to one of the regional UK premiere screenings on Thursday. Got there about 2 hours early. Went and had some dinner and came back. There were about 10 people in front of me with an hour to go. Everyone who turned up got in I think - there were even a couple of empty seats.

Fantastic film. Loved every second of it .

I went to the screening in DC Last week and it was AWESOME. I also won a signed poster that they are going to ship to me. I will post a pic when it comes in.

Well when i woke up this morning i decided when i got to work i was going to review the movie, But after reading your review you said everything i wanted to point out. Thanks for saving me alot of time and give theRPF a great review.

Saw the movie last night, here is my spoiler free review that I posted on my FB page today:

IMO not as good as The Avengers, but honestly I don't know if a super hero movie will ever exceed super high expectations like that one did. BUT, having said that, it's definitely one of the top 2-3 super hero movies outside of Avengers.

The thing that stood out to me the most were the fighting scenes, particularly the ones with Cap in them. Maybe it's because he's now more used to his new body, and has been honing his skills, but he is a one man ass kicking machine. It's no longer just punching, kicking, bashing with the shield. It's awesome and it was VERY fun to watch. To me, he's more like a Super Hero now than just a Big Guy with a Shield. Even Gavin commented that his fighting skills were much different, and "really awesome".

Black Widow was in this movie a LOT, darn near as much as Cap. Kudos to Marvel, hopefully this is a step towards our first female super hero movie. She is fantastic in this movie, has more swagger, attitude, and of course her fighting scenes are amazing.

I LOVE Falcon, and loved the look that they gave him. What I was worried about was that he was only going to be in the movie for a couple of minutes. Nope, he was also a major character in the movie with just the right amount of screen time. His flying / fighting scenes were also amazing.

Winter Soldier himself was perfect. I'm not that knowledgable of the comics, but IMO they used him to absolute perfection. He's a total relentless badass, almost robotic in his movements.

There are also several other, lesser known Marvel characters that you may not catch if you're not into the comics as much. SHIELD is VERY present in this movie. Can't wait to see how they tie THIS into the Agents of SHIELD tv show. There are also numerous small characters from previous movies that tie it in really well to the MCU.

A lot of humor in it, but not over the top, very well done. IMO Thor 2 was almost too funny (almost), but the tone of this movie is definitely much more serious with a lot of plot twists and very serious world threats, etc.

For kids/families:

There was surprisingly little swearing, I remember a couple of "oh ****"s, but they were the under your breath kind of "oooooh sh-" and not the boldly pronounced "OH ****". I'm sure there was a little more than that, but I really don't remember much at all.

There must have been a bazillion rounds of gunfire in this movie, LOTS of gunfights. But, the typically not-so-violent BANG, guy falls over dead....there is some blood, but not a whole lot. Probably the most bloody part was when they were operating on Nick Fury (which we've all seen part of in the previews).

There is of course a TON of hand to hand combat, punching, kicking, fighting with knives (one pronounced stabbing that I particularly remember).

The one thing that stands out that I didn't like as much were a couple of the spills that Cap takes and walks away from. I mean, the Super Soldier Serum doesn't turn him into Superman, does it?

Anyway, a very solid 9/10 for me, cannot wait to see it again. A lot of twists and turns, I'll probably have to see it two more times just to fully be able to follow everything that is going on.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh and here is a photo of my Son and I last night at the advanced screening. Thanks to the RPF for the shield and jacket. :)

View attachment 300656

Thanks! We were also lucky enough to see the Agents of SHIELD panel at Paleyfest in Hollywood yesterday. Man, between Cap 2 and the next episode of AoS (which we were shown yesterday) there is a LOT about to go down.

I also got in to an advance screening of this show and I gotta say, I had a great time watching it. This movie advanced the plot of the Marvel movie-verse further than any of the other standalones did (I don't think Thor 2 or IM3 advanced the plot at all). It's definitely one not to miss if you're invested in how the world evolves.

I totally agree this one sets the pace for what is sure to be a epic Avengers movie and beyond.

I also got in to an advance screening of this show and I gotta say, I had a great time watching it. This movie advanced the plot of the Marvel movie-verse further than any of the other standalones did (I don't think Thor 2 or IM3 advanced the plot at all). It's definitely one not to miss if you're invested in how the world evolves.

I think the whole meta-plot in Marvel films is something that has only really congealed in the last few films, before Avengers it was mostly "Let's try and see how far we can go with this", after Avengers it was "Whoa, we got something bigger than we thought ..."

I think the whole meta-plot in Marvel films is something that has only really congealed in the last few films, before Avengers it was mostly "Let's try and see how far we can go with this", after Avengers it was "Whoa, we got something bigger than we thought ..."

Really... I kind of got the impression with all the end-scenes that they had planned this out all along. It actually started with Iron Man with the Nick Fury "Avenger Initiative" post-credit scene. Every movie that followed also had something alluding to a team movie and S.H.I.E.L.D.'s growing behind the scenes presence.

Marvel seems to have had a strong plan right out of the gate and they nailed it every time.

DC on the other hand... their universe building has only just barely started getting traction.

Does anyone know if these are stock gloves? Or, assuming they're not scratch-built custom gloves, does anyone know what gloves were modified to make these? They look like Oakley gloves in general.

View attachment 212810

Thanks!

James
I'm new here. Did this question get answered because I would like to know as well. Thanks.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back