Yale and ERA Tardis Key Research (Info for the 1963-present keys)

Personally my all time favourite key is this one:

TARDIS%20Key%201.jpg

As far as I'm aware....this was never used on screen - does anyone know the details? It's pewter and has BBC Doctor Who engraved along the top edge.

I bought one years ago (I forget where from actually, probably ebay) and have had it on my key ring ever since.

It's not technically screen accurate but imo its better. :D It's neater, better proportioned, and got nice details like the thin engraved border on the reverse - though thats almost gone in some places on mine its so worn. My housemate has the same one exceot he keeps it in the box, it wasn't until I compared them recently that I realised just how different mine looks from years of use. If I get round to it I'll take a comparison picture.

I've got that one too. It was sold to me as a Tom Baker version, but it's clearly not. Just something the BBC slapped a logo onto, instead of doing it right and demanding an accurate series of keys.

Personally my all time favourite key is this one:

http://www.timewasshop.co.uk/images/DrWho_4/TARDIS Key 1.jpg

As far as I'm aware....this was never used on screen - does anyone know the details? It's pewter and has BBC Doctor Who engraved along the top edge.

I bought one years ago (I forget where from actually, probably ebay) and have had it on my key ring ever since.

It's not technically screen accurate but imo its better. :D It's neater, better proportioned, and got nice details like the thin engraved border on the reverse - though thats almost gone in some places on mine its so worn. My housemate has the same one exceot he keeps it in the box, it wasn't until I compared them recently that I realised just how different mine looks from years of use. If I get round to it I'll take a comparison picture.

I've got that one too, it's nice for what it is. Mine travels on my rear view mirror in my truck.

Hey all. This thread dead?

Anyway, hi I'm a new kid here, but I read through this whole thing and am super pleased with the knowledge you all roped together. Well done, and thanks so much for all of your time and effort.

Straker, would you consider doing a commissioned Perception Filter key? I'll send you a key if necessary, and pay you for time and materials of course.

Since the TARDIS key is the one and only thing every Doctor will be sure to have on him at all times, I figured it's the one and only thing that I can have in my collection to represent them all. So long as we got a decent look at one used by them all of course, if not, then we need to get creative. And since I have a replica Police Box, it just seemed a good idea to have a key from each Doctor that could actually open it - aside from the special keys used by Pertwee, Baker, McCoy and McGann, of course. Which brings me to the War Doctor, we never saw his on screen but I wanted one to represent him all the same. So I starting thinking what type of key would suit him, personally I am a fan of the Yale/ERA keys since they look so normal, no one would think they were anything special if they found one on the Doctor.

With that, I tried to think of the best Yale or ERA key to work for Hurt and not long ago I was looking at a key I gave my girlfriend about two years ago now. She wears it on a a cord like Sally Sparrow's key had. It had had aged so perfectly with every day wear. The brass shown through and the chrome plating dulled or wore off mostly. I loved it and I felt it fit the War Doctor's war-torn look just right. That, coupled with the fact that they gave Hurt an old Eccleston/Tennant box redressed for for the 50th and the fact that Hurt is a New Series Doctor, the ERA key just made sense. So, she lent a hand and wore another key for me for a few months and just last week I felt it was finally perfect for the look I wanted to represent the War Doctor.

Once the aging was done I put a long brown cord on it, again I figured it fit his look and ended up with this (seen next to an unaltered Eccleston ERA key). So yeah, my interpretation of what the War Doctor's TARDIS key could have looked like.

WarDoctorSmall_zps4e7cfc6c.jpg

So I can't see all of the pictures in the thread. And I don't really feel like going through all 20 pages. But I had the chance to go to the Doctor Who Experience in Cardiff while I was on vacation last month. They had a "production used" key on display. Is anyone interested in a picture or has then pretty much been done to death now? It's only one side of the key and it says Y1 USA on it. It's brass in color.

Unfortunately some of the things in the experience aren't exactly as advertised from what I've heard. This key sounds like one of the since the key has been silver in the new series since it's return. So the key on display is more than likely a close enough piece and if it's the one I think it is it's been on display for a few years now. That said, I'd love to see the pics you took, in case it is a different key.

Interesting. That's kind of disappointed. Well, I'm working on getting my site back up and running. Apparently my gallery install got wiped out. I'll get all the pictures from the experience up this weekend. It was mostly a lot of costumes with very few props.

Yeah, It can be disappointing I agree. However, many of the pieces on the display are genuine. Items like the classic and TVM sonic screwdrivers are of course replicas by necessity and a few classic costume pieces as well but most of the new series stuff is genuine.

Does anyone know where I could get some Yale or Era keys from? Bearing in mind that there are no keycutters within 20-something miles of where I live (or at least not that I know of, anyway). I really need some for my TARDIS key collection and a perception filter key.

Does anyone know where I could get some Yale or Era keys from? Bearing in mind that there are no keycutters within 20-something miles of where I live (or at least not that I know of, anyway). I really need some for my TARDIS key collection and a perception filter key.

Etsy. Or eBay. Or the links earlier in the thread. I'm too lazy to go through and find them all, but they are there.

In case anyone is looking for the Twelfth Doctor's TARDIS key I have ID'd it. It's by Hiatt Hardware and like the ERA keys you can find them with replacement cylinders on eBay. The key is a perfect match, identical framing on both sides with no markings, so I have to assume that this is the same as used in the show. So, there you go. Enjoy.

IMG_4193.jpgIMG_4192.jpgIMG_4191.jpg

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back